Purchasing an Ibanez AR300 - good buy?

StephenBStephenB Frets: 75
edited October 2018 in Guitar
Hi guys!
Sending this from my mobile as I don't have computer access:
While on my travels I have come across an Ibanez AR300 from 1981. I made the mistake of playing it and fell in love with the guitar. The condition isn't great, it being nearly 40 with some chips going down the side and a spot of corrosion on the jack plate but all electronics work perfectly, it feels and plays amazingly.

I'm just wondering if the asking price of about £900 is worth it for such an instrument? Thanks everyone!

Cheers
Ste
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14284
    tFB Trader
    most of those MIJ models from that era are nice instruments - The Ibanez AR range and the Yamaha SG range - plus many of the Aria Pro 11 PE range (LP Flavoured)

£900 is far more than I've been use to selling them over the last 30/40 years, as and when I acquire them, but as we all know prices have risen - If that was made today in Japan it would be in excess of 2K

Condition wise then it is a case of can you cope with such wear - As long as the frets are fine and electrics function correctly so nothing interferes with the guitars playing performance then I would not get to hung up on the condition

Some will change the pick-ups to something more 'boutique' but if you like it as it is then leave

Whilst prices have risen they are still more of a 'players grade' guitar than a 'high priced vintage collectors' model, as such any pick-up changes should not have any impact on the price, if done well etc

IMO nothing to fault about them and can certainly match many LP/SG models from that era
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4184
    if its unmolested then £900 is top end tbh, they hang around awhile at that price, i'd be tempted to haggle a bit
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4184
    Thats more like it 
  • £900 seems a bit much for an AR300 that isn't in great condition, TBH.
    My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
  • blobbblobb Frets: 2960
    check originality, if you can get a piccy up we can give it the eyeball for you. As already said, top end pricewise but undervalued for quality on offer.
    Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
  • Hi @blobb ,

Here is the link;
    https://www.ishibashi.co.jp/u_box/e/select.php?cd=11-316716212

Turns out my initial exchange calculation was wrong and it's actually closer to the 7-800 mark!

Thanks again everyone!
    Ste
  • MistyMisty Frets: 135
    edited October 2018
    Nice guitars, I had the active version, I think it was an AR500, which I bought new from Andertons in the early eighties. It didn't take me long to discover I didn't like active pickups etc in guitars, and I wished I'd bought one like the AR300. I remember I found it a bit neck heavy on a strap though.

• blobbblobb Frets: 2960

E82: May '82 (Fujigen Gakki)
    velve tuners
    Gibraltar 1
    Quick Change 2 (not bowed)
    Cloud
    Sure grip 1 knobs (can't see if they still have their rubbers on, should have)
    3 screw super 58's
    Ebony board
    tri-sound
    No additional drill holes / switches etc...
    Can't see edge binding for rot (or not), looks ok from the pictures they have put up.

The AR300CS was reissued as AR300RE and was itself the next generation of model 2619 which had Super 80's. There are some transitional 2619's but by 1981 they had pretty much settled on the layout you have here.

So the only blemishes are the dinks on the back, which wouldn't put me off.  No hard case might though, especially if you want it shipped?

(don't forget to add tax/import duty etc...)

Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'