Original WRHB magnet height

JD50JD50 Frets: 659
edited October 2018 in Guitar
..... so I've one of these in a guitar of mine and curiosity has got the better of me and so i wish to play with the magnet heights to see if I can broaden the tonal spectrum, it sounds great but can i make sound better, only one way to find out.

I have read Telenators ( Internet says he is an expert on these and made the only true repos?) Set up guide and it makes sense to me..... although I've also read (on the internet) the magnets can be damaged easily?????
So anyone/pickup makers on here have any experience with these, shall I just have a go or do I leave as is?
Also I understand the magnets are threaded, so does that mean   they were lubricated?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14447
    edited October 2018
    JD50 said:
    I understand the magnets are threaded, so does that mean they were lubricated?
    They are threaded. (They have to be.) 

After forty years, assume that any engineering thread lubricant that was ever applied has long since evaporated.

It is possible that some potting wax found its way into the adjustable polepiece threads. It may be necessary to crack the wax in order to get the individual polepieces to rotate.

In your circumstances, I would probably leave the E poles all the way down. Only adjust the ADGB poles.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7771
    Telenator makes the threaded repros but there is not much to suggest that alnico 5 rods sound worse.