Any interest in Mosrites?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• clarkefanclarkefan Frets: 808
    Hydra19 said:
    Here is a powerhouse rendition of Besame Mucho, that drummer doesn't quit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ssk6XBrCBjU
    Cool :) Featuring the classic flabbyarse-est live bass tone and a drummer that must, must have inspired Bonham :)

The photo on screen through the track is fantastic, looks like the drummer is playing with nunchucks :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14303
    tFB Trader
    Hydra19 said:
    clarkefan said:
    KRRRAAAAANNNNNG  
    "WAIT!!"
    "Hey we're the Ramones and this is Rockaway Beach"
    "1234!!" :)

Sorry, I don't know anything about Mosrites, except that Johnny Ramones made one sound like God on that live album :)
    There is a story about Johnny Ramone in that when he purchased his blue Mosrite they were dirt cheap and no wanted them - Then he had it nicked in 1977 and had to replace it - Because of him values had gone up so he was p'eed of about having to pay more for a guitar that had gone up because of him - Some irony there
    It was very ironic about the Ramones and Mosrites. The Ventures were the ones selling Mosrite guitars, they were all about playing, Nokie in particular was one of those country guitar gods that could do anything, and they had great tone. Then the Ramones came along, on the other side of the spectrum; don't know how to play, don't know what tone is, and will use any crappy guitar.

Johhny Ramone walked into Manny's and bought his Mosrite for $50 although it wasn't an Mk1. Carried it out in a shopping bag :) But he has said that he used so much gain that it doesn't matter what guitar he used, but I think he liked the necks on the Mosrites. There is a pic of him in the studio, wearing headphones and playing a Mosrite Ventures Mk1....high class guitar. Mosrites were always pretty expensive, even in the 60's they cost more than a Stratocaster 

Thanks for that - I never knew it came from Manny's but I did read it was $50
  • timhuliotimhulio Frets: 1286
    tFB Trader
    Kurt Cobain had a Univox Hi-Flier, a Mosrite copy with humbuckers. They're pretty good, and far cheaper than a vintage Mosrite.

• Hydra19Hydra19 Frets: 329
    Kurt also had a Gospel brand Mosrite, that he used in the early days, probably not much difference anyway. Either way, he may have owned a Mosrite but hardly played one. They are way more popular in Japan and some artists do play them.

The real issue with them for most player is the thin, narrow neck and the speed frets, although a few do find that an advantage.

The pickups are not P90's, they are made by Mosrite, as was everything except the tuners, and they are overwound to almost 13k and could overdrive a loud amp even back then. They don't sound like P90's, they are not as growly, but more hot all around , and somewhat bright, with a lot of definition. 

here i'm playing Downtown version by the Ventures
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dg5oOS9KWvc

Ghost Riders in the Sky
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQ6KHdB52ZM

and through a tweed deluxe
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-E72-KkRxg

• lamf68lamf68 Frets: 851
    DrBob said:
    I know that @lamf68 of this very parish speaks highly of the one he used to own 

I absolutely adore Mosrites, I've had two over the years and still hanker after one now, if be interested in hearing what you want for it. The shape is so fooked up on them it's what attracted me to them, and the obvious Ramones link. Johnny's one with the single coils was rebuilt by Eastwood guitars a few years ago but held no candle to the real one. It's another guitar I wish I'd never parted with.
  • HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8031
    Have played one.

Not owned one.

Want one.

:)

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12383
    I love ‘em, mainly because of the Ventures connection as I was/am a big fan. I saw an original US one in the Music Exchange place that used to be in Notting Hill Gate, probably in the early 80s. They had it up for £300 but I thought it was too pricey at the time. Doh! 
  • liamonliamon Frets: 103
    I have a ‘65 mosrite bass, which I love. The frets are ridiculously low at the moment tho. 

If you’re thinking of offloading the ‘66 then drop me a PM. 
  • About 25 years ago I had the idea of getting a left handed Strat body and adding a right handed neck and calling it a Moss-wrong.

I still haven't bought the parts.