Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Yamaha Revstars three years on. Hit or miss?

What's Hot
12346»

Comments

• kt66kt66 Frets: 315
    I struggle to think of any guitar shape/style I like that was designed after 1972, maybe the Charvel Surfcaster from the 80s, but this Yamaha really can be added to the list. It is an original design, isn't it? ??  I think they are great and Yamaha rarely make anything shite, their build is always great and support/service is second to none. Wish I still had my RD200 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1949
    You can buy Yamaha blind - I've had 5 and they have been flawless, but they can be a bit weighty (same as G&L).

Its better to lose a bit on resale, but own a quality guitar. My Fenders were shite and I lost more because I buy everything new and they cost more...So Yamaha wins.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • John_A said:
    Absolute hit IMO

Just picked up a lightly used  Revstar RS720B  and it's a great guitar, plays and sounds as good as it looks (which is very good)

That wasn’t the one for sale on here was it? 
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    John_A said:
    Absolute hit IMO

Just picked up a lightly used  Revstar RS720B  and it's a great guitar, plays and sounds as good as it looks (which is very good)

That wasn’t the one for sale on here was it? 
    It was ;)
  • Damn you @John_A ;
    i was hoping my classic Vibe would move on first so I could snag that, looks awesome but I just didn’t have the space for it till I moved one on. 
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    Damn you @John_A ;
    i was hoping my classic Vibe would move on first so I could snag that, looks awesome but I just didn’t have the space for it till I moved one on. 
    Sorry.  I'll always find the space for a bargain like this one :)
  • John_A said:
    Damn you @John_A ;
    Sorry.  I'll always find the space for a bargain like this one :)
    Enjoy pal 
  • Three-ColourSunburstThree-ColourSunburst Frets: 1139
    edited November 2018
    Quick update on my RS620 experience so far. Basically, the more I play it, the more I love it. I found that adjusting the pickup height, angle and pole-pieces has a massive effect on the sound it makes. After a bit of juggling with these the pickups are wonderfully balanced, each string sounding clearly in a chord with no trace of 'woolyness'. The neck pickup through my Blues Cube Hot is pure jazz. Tuning stability is great. According to my bathroom scales it weights 3.8kg.

On my Talman prestige everything was perfect out of the case, and I can't think of anything I would want to change, but with the Yamaha I have already made some modifications. I didn't like the fact that the knobs had no marker numbers, so I have fitted a pair of Black Ibanez Sure Grip IIIs. These were a perfect fit and also look better to my eye.

I have swapped the bridge to a brass ABM 3024n. (Metric 8 x 1.25 studs needed.) This has a much wider intonation range than the Alchemy original, so the bridge can rest solidly against the studs, rather than the threads of two little cap heads, as was the case with the Alchemy. Also, the added mass (which has the effect of  increasing the impedance of the bridge, further isolating the strings from the body) has noticeably increased the guitar's sustain, and so to some degree the perceived brightness. The brass ABM bridge is also a step up, at least to my mind, from the TonePros AVT2 fitted to the 820, which is still made from a variation of pot metal (Zamak), even if Thomann say they use brass. (In truth only the saddles are brass.)

I don't really like the action of the volume knob, will almost all the action being between 7 and 10 on the dial. It also needs a treble bleed, or more effective treble bleed, which I will add soon.

I have also bought an SKB-61 case. This is designed for an SG, which has a different shape to the curve of the body, so I had to squash down the polystyrene padding where it touches the upper curve of the lower bout of the guitar with my fingers, but only by about 5mm or so.  The guitar now fits very snugly and visually the lining looks no different.

Overall, a great guitar and I am so glad that I wasn't swayed by the mojo of the Les Paul shape.
  • bazxkrbazxkr Frets: 615
    Damn you @John_A ;

@mikeyrob73 I'll be moving a 720B in wall fade (the yellowy one) shortly so if you move your CV and are interested give me a holla Not as nice colour wise as that one above I'll admit but they are fine guitars
  • Drop me a pm mate