Guitar Set Up

What's Hot
D28boyD28boy Frets: 6
I've got a Flying V which is set up just about perfect but I have one note that chokes out on the high e about the ninth fret on a full bend. Can anyone recommend a good place to take it for a bit of a tweak. Intonation and action is fine so shouldn't be much of a job.

I'm in Hampshire near Basingstoke but don't mind travelling a bit. Anybody used Charlie Chandler in Wick?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14296
    tFB Trader
    Charlie has  a great reputation and well worth a shot - what about FB's own Jon @FelineGuitars ;
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Never had a setup from him personally, but Mick Johnson http://www.mickjohnsonguitars.com is in Shinfield and has long been the go-to guy for Reading folk.

I've also heard good things about the Guitar Forge in Tadley.

Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

• Arktik83Arktik83 Frets: 431
    I'd second what @guitars4you said, if you can get to Feline it's well worth the trip, Jonathan is a really friendly fella and does some great work.  
  • jdgmjdgm Frets: 852
    edited October 2018
    I live near Aldershot and have just got my Vintage 100PGM back from a setup by David Kennett of Flame guitars in Sutton. This was a bit of a trek for me but has been well worth it and I can highly recommend his work as the guitar plays amazingly well now, 100% better. He has done a really good job and gave the instrument a thorough, almost forensic examination.

• ricorico Frets: 1220
    It sounds like the neck relief needs checking or you have a high fret - both are reasonably simple to check yourself and will give you an idea of what needs to be done if it does go to a pro. Would strongly recommend Feline too. 

• D28boyD28boy Frets: 6
    Thanx all for your responses. I will contact Mick Johnson but Feline looks a bit too far to travel for me.

Rico- do you really think it's a truss rod job for one string at one fret only? I thought it would just be the high fret job. As I said it only chokes on a full bend 
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3500
    Is your action even across all strings?
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
    yes to the naked eye . It's really quite low and fast . I guess the problem will be at the next fret up approaching the centre of the fret
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14469
    A fret rocker tool will reveal any high frets. Allow Ben at Crimson Guitars to explain.

You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4704
    jdgm said:
    I live near Aldershot and have just got my Vintage 100PGM back from a setup by David Kennett of Flame guitars in Sutton. This was a bit of a trek for me but has been well worth it and I can highly recommend his work as the guitar plays amazingly well now, 100% better. He has done a really good job and gave the instrument a thorough, almost forensic examination.

+1.  He's done really good setups on a couple of my guitars.
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
    Wouldn't a high fret buzz on more than one string?
  • King85King85 Frets: 631
    robgilmo said:
    Wouldn't a high fret buzz on more than one string?
    It doesn't have to be high across the entire length of the fret.
    It's not a buzz robgilmo it's a choke ...so the note is actually dying ...so as I bend up to a particular point it stops ringing. Did a bit  more testing last night and actually established it chokes also when fretting at the 10th fret...though not quite as bad. So I think its the 11 fret wire that is a little too high towards the centre if that makes sense to you guys.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Use a small straight edge as a rocker, anything will do so long as its straight.
    Also, is the saddle worn on that string? I take it its got a tune o matic type bridge?
    See, if you have a possible high fret that effects the high e when bending, but not the B string when fretted then my attention would be towards the action on the E string.