Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

HiFi help appreciated

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• RockerRocker Frets: 4985
    TheMarlin said:
    Depends on your budget and the cartridge. Some are pretty bullet proof   If it’s a fixed stylus, such as on a Lyra, then certainly be wary. A rebuild will cost big money. 
    Be careful of cartridges popular with DJ’s, they will have had a hard life.  
    At the budget end, there are some good sounding cartridges to be had new cheap, such as the Audio Technica AT95e which can be had new for £35 on Amazon. I put one on my nephews turntable when it arrived with a damaged stylus. Sounded great.  Not quite as detailed at some of the corkage I normally sniff, but highly listenable.  A very enjoyable listen. 
    I have one of these on my LP12. Really good for the price. Alas my old Shure MC with fixed stylus broke. £300 rebuild cost.

The turntable has more effect on the sound than either the arm or the cartridge. A good TT, like the LP12, allows a cheap cartridge to sound it’s best. Even better than it ‘should’ sound. The next major sound improvement is to be got from using a good phono stage. A cheap phono stage will work but a good one lets the quality of the rest of your kit shine through. Ten seconds listening or a single piano chord is all it takes for you to note the improvement. Your problem is then going to be one of time - you will want to play ‘just one more song’ and it is getting late...
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    robgilmo said:
    I had an AT95E for a while, I found it very underwhelming, I dont know why people rave on about them, its a cheap cartridge and it sounds like one. Spend another 20 quid or more and you will get something much much better.
    When buying from companies like AT and Ortofon where they share bodies across a range it's not a bad idea to check how much it costs to get into the higher range body line.

I considered getting a VM540ML - top of that standard body range with a Micro stylus. But another £40 got me the VM740ML, the same Microline stylus on the high end body which is shared with >£600 styluses (stylii?).

That said, the stylus is the expensive bit but I think there is logic there.
  • vizviz Frets: 10699
    Gagaryn said:
    robgilmo said:
    I had an AT95E for a while, I found it very underwhelming, I dont know why people rave on about them, its a cheap cartridge and it sounds like one. Spend another 20 quid or more and you will get something much much better.
    When buying from companies like AT and Ortofon where they share bodies across a range it's not a bad idea to check how much it costs to get into the higher range body line.

I considered getting a VM540ML - top of that standard body range with a Micro stylus. But another £40 got me the VM740ML, the same Microline stylus on the high end body which is shared with >£600 styluses (stylii?).

That said, the stylus is the expensive bit but I think there is logic there.
    Oddly when you get up to the £1k+ cartridges the stylus is the cheapest bit! Some carts are £8k, but a retip is still “only” £230!
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • barry2tonebarry2tone Frets: 212
    edited October 2018
    "Active" speakers is just buying an amplifier and speaker all in one box. You get more choice by buying them in separate boxes.

Agreed.  But this looks interesting in the one-box line.  Includes phono stage.

https://www.facebook.com/evoaudio.uk/?__tn__=kC-R&eid=ARA5qsNX7t25XvmvZ19HwNAxLx1dUm3os0JhJaSq26GAtpPcfTCzJ7dWclFgdB7UWi4-fkxtWzdAnLbM&hc_ref=ARRoJ4SAtID2WENEpXRDmAC-cEHg9Z7eycuZmGjZUyQuf1sAtcNW8cyHUsVZOREjOB0&fref=nf

https://www.heco-audio.de/en/downloads/heco-direkt-800-bt

Home practise amp too?

• "Active" speakers is just buying an amplifier and speaker all in one box. You get more choice by buying them in separate boxes.

Agreed.  This looks interesting in that line.  Includes phono stage.

https://www.facebook.com/evoaudio.uk/?__tn__=kC-R&eid=ARA5qsNX7t25XvmvZ19HwNAxLx1dUm3os0JhJaSq26GAtpPcfTCzJ7dWclFgdB7UWi4-fkxtWzdAnLbM&hc_ref=ARRoJ4SAtID2WENEpXRDmAC-cEHg9Z7eycuZmGjZUyQuf1sAtcNW8cyHUsVZOREjOB0&fref=nf

https://www.heco-audio.de/en/downloads/heco-direkt-800-bt

Home practise amp too?

Blimey that’s one ugly mutha
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom