Replacing Parts on Strats?

What's Hot
Quite a common thing, I'm sure, but I wondered how certain circuits in the Electrics affect Pick up swaps? For instance, swapping out V-Mods on an Am Pro Strat? It has a Treble Bleed Circuit, any issues with that not liking different pick ups introduced to it?

Tuners? Do they all fit the same size hole? I quite like the Mex Classic Player 60's Strat, but hate those Vintage Tuners (Slot and Hole), would any "Hole through Post" type Tuners be suitable to that Guitar?

Ta!
Only a Fool Would Say That.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• GluedtoMusicGluedtoMusic Frets: 74
    tFB Trader
    Tuners? Do they all fit the same size hole? I quite like the Mex Classic Player 60's Strat, but hate those Vintage Tuners (Slot and Hole), would any "Hole through Post" type Tuners be suitable to that Guitar?
    The vintage style tuners on the Mexican Classic Player Strat are most likely Ping tuners which use a 9.2 mm headstock hole, all modern sealed tuners use a 10 mm headstock hole, so to replace the tuners you will need to ream/drill the headstock holes out to 10 mm.
    Supplier of Gotoh, Fender, Gibson, Faber, Schaller, Hipshot, Floyd Rose, TonePros, Graph Tech, Hosco luthier tools and many more.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27116
    Iirc gotoh make a vintage-style, string/through-post tuner set that should fit. Or they certainly do a locking set that are strung-through-post.

Though you you might find you love the slotted ones once you get used to them. They’re actually a brilliant bit of design.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9687
    edited October 2018
    Another thing to be aware of if you’re swapping parts on Strats is that the string spacing varies on different models. Something to consider if you’re thinking of changing the sustain block or the saddles.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    The treble bleed won't stop you swapping pickups, just whatever pickups are in it (including stock) will be brighter as the volume is turned down.
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30928
    @HAL9000 big wiz there.

Also, if you truly want to make the best strat upgrade, get a Callaham tool steel block. It's a eureka moment.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9687
    Gassage said:
    @HAL9000 big wiz there.

Also, if you truly want to make the best strat upgrade, get a Callaham tool steel block. It's a eureka moment.
    Indeed. The zinc block on my MIM Std has made way for a a Callaham steel block. Also, has a set of OilCity StoneTones in it. I’m not going to make extravagant claims about how it would rival a Custom Shop, but it's now pretty much the Strat that’s right for me.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11460

Though you you might find you love the slotted ones once you get used to them. They’re actually a brilliant bit of design.
    This
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    Iirc gotoh make a vintage-style, string/through-post tuner set that should fit. Or they certainly do a locking set that are strung-through-post.

I've always wanted the slotted style tuners, love the look and imagine they would be good to use.

I wonder why they were ever changed to the current style.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14474
    gotoh make a vintage-style, string/through-post tuner set that should fit.
    Schaller certainly makes something like that.

you might find you love the slotted ones once you get used to them. They’re actually a brilliant bit of design.
    Kluson safety machineheads - and all good copies - remove any excuse for the lazy/amateur practice of leaving protruding/uncut string ends. 

If you require locking 'heads, Gotoh Magnum sets directly retrofit the standard Kluson drilled holes.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • Thanks, people. Would any other the replacement Tuners mentioned require that a second String Tree is needed as Fenders Hole Through ones are Staggered Tuners cut out the need for this.

I don't know what to do here, I want a Strat, but ideally want an Am Std which they have turned into the Am Pro which I hate the pick ups on. I've searched high and low in lots of Stores, big and small, used and NOS and the only Am Std's left are Black with White or another colour combo I don't like.

I also like the Roadworn 60's in Oly White, but the 7.25 puts me off, oh and the Tuners.

There is always Ebay of course, there are a few on there, but you never know what you are getting even if the seller has 100% feedback. I've seen "Excellent Condition" meaning lots of small paint chips on the finish, pffft!
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4725
    thegummy said:

I've always wanted the slotted style tuners, love the look and imagine they would be good to use.

I wonder why they were ever changed to the current style.
    +1!  My 1969 hardtail Strat has these, and they are brilliant - goodness knows why Fender changed them.  And without being funny, I find threading strings through the hole in chromed reflective posts really awkward.  Maybe I'm just getting older and my eyesight is not what it was (although I still have better than 20/20 vision with glasses) but I find the reflections make it difficult to see where the darned hole is - or is it just me?
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)