weird guitar of the day

What's Hot
axisusaxisus Frets: 28338
edited August 2013 in Guitar
majorly weird guitar, but very intriguing as well. I'd love to try it! Not so keen on the controls though, looks like a poor afterthought compared to the rest.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7788
    I imagine it's meant to be played upright, like a Chapman Stick
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72376
    Yes, same problem as the skeleton guitar (or one of them, anyway) - good concept, poorly finished.

Now if the skeleton guitar had been this shape, and well-made...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Quite interesting! needs some work but a good concept.
    Old Is Gold
  • NiallmoNiallmo Frets: 467
    Woah!

well, its "interesting" to say the least.
  • Is that a piece of driftwood someone pulled off the fire and said "dam, that would make a neat guitar".  And then they said "why stop there, lets put fanned frets on it, and an unusual number of strings", "oh, and lets put the tuning keys at the other end, yeah, thats it".  Don't mind me, I actually think it is kind of cool, just trying to figure out what goes on in peoples heads sometimes.

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

• BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    Is that a Rick Toone guitar? He does some weird stuff... pretty cool though.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28312
    Certainly his bridge, and he has similarly dodgy aesthetics regarding control plates.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28338
    Yes, Rick Toone. 
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    I quite like it. Here's another he did:

That belongs to someone on Sevenstring.org.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • I wonder if we'll ever hear a classic tune written on a guitar like the one in the OP.

It seems to me that the majority of people who might pick up such an instrument are wanky musos shredding away like mad fuckers playing esoteric nonsense.

The great tunes which touch the hearts of the masses are generally written by normal folks on relatively rudimentary (from a usability point of view) gear. Which is exactly why instruments like the one above don't interest me (and most others) in the slightest.

It's all well and good developing the form of the instrument and breaking down musical barriers, but what's the point if no-one wants to listen to the product?
  • BigPaulie said:
    It's all well and good developing the form of the instrument and breaking down musical barriers, but what's the point if no-one wants to listen to the product?
    I get what you're saying, but if we were all to buy in to that form of thinking no-one would ever bother playing any kind of "alternative" music. 
  • That's true, UP.

I'm not trying to undermine progress.

I just personally don't have an appetite for it.
  • carloscarlos Frets: 3451
    "oh, and lets put the tuning keys at the other end, yeah, thats it".
    To be fair all 'headless' guitars are like this. Even locking tremolo guitars are like this. Don't think I've touched a tuning peg in 3 months. 
  • carloscarlos Frets: 3451
    Wonder what's the scale length on the top strings.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28338
    BigPaulie said:
    ...... wanky musos shredding away like mad fuckers playing esoteric nonsense.

In all fairness, that's a very derogatory way of describing music that is greatly enjoyed by many people. If you are going that route then you might as well say that One Direction release the best music as it is most popular!

Music is a rich tapestry of different colours and there is a place (and a fanbase) for everything.
  • PetrogliPetrogli Frets: 34
    Bucket said:
    I quite like it. Here's another he did:

That belongs to someone on Sevenstring.org.
    That'd be Misha Mansoor a.k.a. Bulb from Periphery.

Ergonomic headless guitars are certainly the flavour of the month for the Djent kiddies!
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10465
    tFB Trader

BigPaulie said:

It seems to me that the majority of people who might pick up such an instrument are wanky musos shredding away like mad fuckers playing esoteric nonsense.

The 17 year old punk buried deep in my soul completely agrees with that ... though the polite and egalitarian 54 year old that now inhabits this body, defends the right of anyone to play anything ...

... however wanky it might be
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FezFez Frets: 525
    It's important to have people pushing the boundries in both technology and music. The guitar in the OP wouldn't be for me and I agree some of the design is a bit ham fisted. I don't think it matters whether someone writes a classic tune with it or not so long as someone enjoys playing music on it then it's fine.
    Don't touch that dial.
  • axisus said:
    BigPaulie said:
    ...... wanky musos shredding away like mad fuckers playing esoteric nonsense.

In all fairness, that's a very derogatory way of describing music that is greatly enjoyed by many people. If you are going that route then you might as well say that One Direction release the best music as it is most popular!

Music is a rich tapestry of different colours and there is a place (and a fanbase) for everything.
    Thanks for enlightening me  8-|

Still, I'd rather listen to 1D than all that wanky shred nonsense played on 8 stringed, fanned fret monstrosities.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom