Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

$1.6 billion

What's Hot

Comments

• skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6881
    skunkwerx said:
    axisus said:
    £2m would not go that far especially if you give up work.
    Nice house in the country will eat half of that. Then a couple of properties for the kids to live in when they are older. Couple of nice cars and it will be gone.
    Also need to consider upkeep of road property until you eventually die.
    Nah need to keep at least £10m
    One could easily live off £2m! you have just listed a bunch of extravagances. Do everything the same as you do now, give yourself the equivalent of your current weekly pay every week and the money will more than last.

Boy are some people greedy .....
    Pretty much! 

I'm 'living' on the national living wage per hour, but my employer gives no more than 25 hours a week.. so its around 10k a year. Not even enough to pay tax on.. But nowhere near low enough for the government to deem me worthy of any support, health costs, etc. 

I struggle, but most people think choosing a job or career path, savings, a pension, moving out, having a kid, a relationship, a car, a phone contract, new clothes more than once a year, dental work, takeaways, nights out, gifts at xmas etc etc are all normal outgoings. 

They're not, at all, theyre all luxuries if you can afford to do them. 

My jammy sister brings home £42k a year and claims shes not well off!
    The only difference is she did well in school and doesnt have a beard. 

I was bullied so bad I missed year 7 and 8 before changing schools for year 9. I guess I never caught up with what I missed in those fundamental years.   

I didnt do terrible, got all C's and a D in maths, but in an employers world, thats only good for min wage jobs. Least I try I guess. 

But for me, shit, £42k a year/couple grand a month after tax would be absolutely life changing! 

2million would be a whole new life, incomprehensible!
    Except the temptation to piss it slowly away on stuff.

I'd have to hire a financial advisor, and make returns on something, or just buy into a better job. Guess a constant income stream is a worry off the mind, even if it is minimum!  

Whos the big man who lol'd then?

The only easy day, was yesterday...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • axisus said:
    £2m would not go that far especially if you give up work.
    Nice house in the country will eat half of that. Then a couple of properties for the kids to live in when they are older. Couple of nice cars and it will be gone.
    Also need to consider upkeep of road property until you eventually die.
    Nah need to keep at least £10m
    One could easily live off £2m! you have just listed a bunch of extravagances. Do everything the same as you do now, give yourself the equivalent of your current weekly pay every week and the money will more than last.

Boy are some people greedy .....
    But why else would you buy a lottery ticket?
    I'm working myself towards a house in the country anyway so I just want to accelerate that. I would probably not give up work anyway just take a different direction.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dbphotodbphoto Frets: 716
    Perhaps stating the bloody obvious @skunkwerx but if you are currently only getting 25 hours work per week, and you feel your qualifications are restricting your opportunities, then with all of your free hours surely some form of further education would be a good idea?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    dbphoto said:
    Perhaps stating the bloody obvious @skunkwerx but if you are currently only getting 25 hours work per week, and you feel your qualifications are restricting your opportunities, then with all of your free hours surely some form of further education would be a good idea?

Aye well I have done it. 
    Few years back before I turned 30 I did a Btec level 3 Mechanics course, n the Maths and IT course was mandatory with that. 

I didnt realise without any experience in said field, it would be worthless. Apprenticeships I tried but being over 19, no one wants to take you as your not eligible for Gov funding.. 

Anyway that career is a ship thats long sailed. My back wouldnt take it these days lol. 

I'm also a qualified ECA for ambulance work... 

Just doesnt guarantee any joy of actually getting the employment! 

Funnily enough I've never played the lottery though.. lol.

Watch this space guys..

I'll buy you an R8 each.  
    edited October 2018
    Well I don’t have any easy fixes dude but I can tell you this for a fact, myself and every one of my mates that has needed a decent tradesman in the last few years has had a nightmare of a time.

Learn how to paint and decorate as an example, get your name out there with everyone you know, plus some basic advertising in local shops etc, get some work in while keeping your current job and you could end up in a much better situation than you currently are within the year.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    dbphoto said:
    Well I don’t have any easy fixes dude but I can tell you this for a fact, myself and every one of my mates that has needed a decent tradesman in the last few years has had a nightmare of a time.

Learn how to paint and decorate as an example, get your name out there with everyone you know, plus some basic advertising in local shops etc, get some work in while keeping your current job and you could end up in a much better situation than you currently are within the year.
    Same around here to be honest with ya!
    Its a minefield out there. 

Mum & Stepdad have recently had a nightmare leak, which led to an entire new bathroom being fitted.. 
    I could have done a better job I'm sure of it. 

Plus being my own boss is very appealing! 
  • Would they not be better giving 1600 people a million each or 160 people 10 million each or whatever. 1.6 billion to one winner is a bit ridiculous. I mean I’d say if any of us won a million we’d be thinking we’re sorted?
    edited October 2018
    I have been self employed since I was 18, and I dare say that I am now unemployable having turned 43 yesterday @skunkwerx ;;

There are some serious disadvantages versus being employed of course, but on the whole I can’t imagine life any other way.

FWIW you may well be in the perfect situation to get a little business off the ground with the hours you are working covering your bills, while leaving enough time get out there and create something new for yourself.

It’s never going to happen though unless you make it!

• ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    dbphoto said:
    I have been self employed since I was 18, and I dare say that I am now unemployable having turned 43 yesterday @skunkwerx ;;

There are some serious disadvantages versus being employed of course, but on the whole I can’t imagine life any other way.

FWIW you may well be in the perfect situation to get a little business off the ground with the hours you are working covering your bills, while leaving enough time get out there and create something new for yourself.

It’s never going to happen though unless you make it!

Wisdom, right there.
    Would they not be better giving 1600 people a million each or 160 people 10 million each or whatever. 1.6 billion to one winner is a bit ridiculous. I mean I’d say if any of us won a million we’d be thinking we’re sorted?
    You really do not understand ordinary everyday people.  They like the idea of being 'comfortably well off'.

But they LOVE the idea of what National Lottery staff call F*** Off money.
    I'd take all the money and spend it on helping all those families who have problems that money can't solve.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Jez6345789Jez6345789 Frets: 1783
    Well that’s the mrs out to pasture.
    ” Oh you are only 25 and you like older men with money”
    Well I have plenty lol

yes I am that shallow lol

• HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9682
    edited October 2018
    I'd put on a dodgy west midlands accent and tell anyone who'd listen, 'Excuse me, I couldn't help noticing that I seem to be considerably richer than you.'

I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Chalky said:
    Would they not be better giving 1600 people a million each or 160 people 10 million each or whatever. 1.6 billion to one winner is a bit ridiculous. I mean I’d say if any of us won a million we’d be thinking we’re sorted?
    You really do not understand ordinary everyday people.  They like the idea of being 'comfortably well off'.

But they LOVE the idea of what National Lottery staff call F*** Off money.
    Yeah that’s right, how could I possibly know what ordinary everyday people want, with me being in the Royal Family and all that. Apologies minions. I foolishly thought like £1- £10m would be enough for all you ordinary everyday people. What was I thinking?
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8794
    On reflection, I reckon I'd buy myself a crap ton of privacy injunctions.  They look like tremendous value for money.
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4671
    Hookers, Cocaine and Beer

On second thoughts i would just buy a nice pair of slippers, a new couch and a bigger TV, living the middle aged dream 
  • I could find a use for a decent sized chunk of it as well as helping out family \7 close friends. In my case, guitars, HiFi, and a decent house would feature prominently.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    Even if you had to pay tax on it, you'd still have more money than most people could ever dream of, ffs!
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    dbphoto said:
    Jesus, imagine being $1.6 billion better off all of a sudden.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-45963635

I doubt I would survive long enough to actually spend any of it as my head would explode.
    /\ no cos immediately you will be a target for kidnap...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>