Pedal puzzle for direct to PA

telehacktelehack Frets: 93
Hi, Please help me find the final piece for my pedal board. It would have to work for three environments:

- Into my amps (mainly Fenders) for electric guitar
- Direct to PA with acoustic guitar gigs
- Direct to PA if amp dies or at rehearsals when I'm too lazy to lug said amp

Ideally, the pedals would all be on my board and only need slight repatching for each situation.

For the first scenario I'm pretty happy with:

Xotic AC Booster > Amnesis Delay > Zoom MS70 > EQD Tonejob EQ/boost for solos or to tweak EQ

Acoustic (not tried this into a PA yet, but it sounds killer through my guitar amp):

AC (not used) > Delay (slight) > Zoom MS70 with some compression, reverb > EQD Tonejob > Mooer Radar with Acoustic IRs > DI box > PA

Here's where I struggle. The setup below works great for clean tones into a PA but the AC booster sounds like a jar of bees:

Xotic AC Booster > Delay > Zoom > AMT F-1 cab sim off > Mooer Radar power amp/cab sims

So, how can I get a good Marshallesqe distortion into the F-1? Also, I found the F-1 fairly noisy. I put a noise gate on the Zoom and tried it after the F-1, which eliminated the hiss when not playing but it's not great. I'm just starting to use IEMs, so it's kind of noticeable. Cleans were great, I just need a workable distortion or solo sound into what is essentially a solid state preamp.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Firstly, the noisy F1 - what are you powering it with. I have an AMT V-1 (the voxy version) and I've found it's quite fussy regarding its power supply. And, although they do work at 9V, they really want a 12V supply.

Secondly, if you are using one of the AMT preamps, would the Marshall flavoured one (M-2?) be more apprpriate?

Thirdly, I'm a great fan and long time user of the Award-Session JD-10 preamp (Jerry Donahue sig). I have several, used as straightfoward overdrive pedal, speaker-simulated recording preamp and general take anywhere 'fix it' box. The GG-10 acoustic preamp was a slightly tweaked version for Gordon Giltrap. No longer made but fairly common second-hand at around £50-£70.

• Thanks for the reply. I'm supplying the F-1 with the power supply it came with. I'll have to check, but I think it's 12V. I'll have a play with it since I think my pedal power unit can be configured to supply 12V too. Good shout on the JD-10. I actually had one of these and it was great. I sold it when I didn't need it at the time. I'll look out for one of the AMT M pedals. Have you ever used them? Just wonder if they sound reasonably convincing.
  • The only AMT I've played is the V-1.

As an aside, on my main board I use a JD-10 set fairly low gain as my 'base' overdrive sound and then stack other drive pedals into it for more gain. The one that gets stacked into it most often is ... an Xotic AC+ Booster.