Any pointers to detect fake strings ?

What's Hot
baldybaldy Frets: 195
edited October 2018 in Guitar
I have just received a 3 set pack of Ernie Ball Super Slinky 9"s & a 3 set pack of Regular Slinky 10"s.
I have never had 3 packs before just single set packs so don"t have any 3 set packs to compare them with.
What I can see is that the pink colour of the 9"s pack is a lighter pink than a single set pack & the green 10"s pack is also lighter & less "shiny" than a single pack.
Also on the individual paper envelopes the strings are in the red printing is lighter on the triple pack envelopes ?
These have come from an ebay seller with 99.9% positive feedback & the only negative feedback they have received really is the delivery times being longer than advertised, although mine came on time.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4175
    edited October 2018
    I've had a fake set of D'Addario strings from eBay.

It was obvious they were fake as the E, B and G strings were all the same thickness. When I bought the strings, the sellers feedback was the typical "A+++ Great Seller!" type. The negative feedback wasn't there when I bought the strings.

Best rule is to buy from a reputable dealer online (some dealers do sell on eBay).
  • I’ve always received fakes from eBay, gave up in the end and always buy from Strings Direct or Andertons now. You can tell they’re fake if you change strings a lot, the fakes feel strange and the wound strings kink easier.
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    I never buy strings from eBay for this reason, there's too many fakes out there.

I also once bought a fake microphone from eBay. I knew the second I opened the package it was fake because I had the real version before but if I didn't, it probably wouldn't have crossed my mind that it was fake. The seller claimed he had thought it was real the whole time he had it and I believe that's possible if he'd never seen a real one.

I only use eBay for things that can't be faked, like if it's not a brand name item anyway.
  • baldybaldy Frets: 195
    I am only a beginner & doubt I know enough to detect fake strings (unless it was blindingly obvious), hence my question. but the packaging looks a little off to me compared to single set packs but I do not have any triple packs to compare them with.
    They were £15 per 3 pack as opposed to £8 for a single pack from my nearest music store.
  • Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2595
    tFB Trader
    Buy from a dealer, you can't just go to EB/Stringandthings and buy strings to sell online, you have to be a proper business, with business premises and with an account.
    Some guy selling strings from his room on ebay has either got them from a liquidation auction or got them from some dubious source.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    I don't know if I could tell fake strings by looking at them, I just avoid eBay because if you buy from a known shop you know you're getting real strings.

If the price on eBay was lower than any shop offered I'd start to be suspicious there. In your case it's only a few pounds less but still, the con artists selling fakes would be greedy and charge close to the real price anyway.

If they're real I'd wonder how a small time eBay person could undercut massive global companies like Amazon who sell in mass.
  • baldybaldy Frets: 195
    The ebay seller has 147,000 ebay sales so not a bedroom seller.
    The strings may well be genuine it is just that my suspicions were aroused by the slightly different packaging colours compared to the single set packs I am used to.
    baldy said:
    The strings may well be genuine it is just that my suspicions were aroused by the slightly different packaging colours compared to the single set packs I am used to.
    I'd still have to wonder how they can undercut the likes of Amazon who make that many sales every hour.

I'd think Modulus_Amps would likely be right that the person has either got them for cheap at something like a liquidation auction - so they're real but he can sell them for cheap - or that they're fake so don't cost him much anyway.

With the microphone I mentioned, there was a big weight difference right away which rang alarm bells then I found online ways to look at the internal wiring that indicates fakes. With guitar strings there really isn't much to them so not sure there necessarily would be any way to tell they're fake.

You could just try them and if they sound normal, take a chance and hope they don't break during a gig. I'd personally send them back and not risk it for the sake of 1 pound per pack.
  • monoaminemonoamine Frets: 506
    Just for some perspective... I have always bought strings off of eBay and not had anything but good experiences and quality strings (EB hybrid slinky usually) at great prices, delivered quickly 
    1979 Tokai TE-85
    1980 Tokai LS-80
  • Mark1960Mark1960 Frets: 326
    I use Strings Direct all the time now - good price, good quality, good service! They even sent me a replacement when one broke during tensioning no quibbles.
  • ricorico Frets: 1220
    If you want standard gauges, Andertons do 4 for 3 on most common brands which is the best deal from a dealer that I have found. 
  • BigsbyBigsby Frets: 2963
    thegummy said:
    baldy said:
    I'd still have to wonder how they can undercut the likes of Amazon who make that many sales every hour.

Much of the time, Amazon aren't particularly cheap. Can't remember the last time I bought a book from them (BooksEtc are usually substantially cheaper, even before deducting the 5% they give regular customers at check out). Amazon are cheap on some items, especially good they've got on deals, or when they're trying to corner a market. But they have well paid executives, warehouses, over-worked staff to under pay, etc. A high volume parts/accessories seller on Ebay may well be selling from a spare bedroom - the stock isn't that big - or might even have a small shop somewhere, with the Ebay sales as a low profit sideline. It wouldn't be surprising, as long as you can get the stock. Also wouldn't surprise me to end up with fakes! ;)
    Bigsby said:
    thegummy said:
    baldy said:

Much of the time, Amazon aren't particularly cheap. Can't remember the last time I bought a book from them (BooksEtc are usually substantially cheaper, even before deducting the 5% they give regular customers at check out). Amazon are cheap on some items, especially good they've got on deals, or when they're trying to corner a market. But they have well paid executives, warehouses, over-worked staff to under pay, etc. A high volume parts/accessories seller on Ebay may well be selling from a spare bedroom - the stock isn't that big - or might even have a small shop somewhere, with the Ebay sales as a low profit sideline. It wouldn't be surprising, as long as you can get the stock. Also wouldn't surprise me to end up with fakes! ;)
    They seem to be the cheapest place I can ever find strings outside eBay - any suggestions for even cheaper?
  • BlueingreenBlueingreen Frets: 2612
    edited October 2018
    I've bought most of my strings (Elixirs) from Amazon for years.  Never had an issue. 
    Elixirs last so much longer than "normal" strings, even from reputable brands, that you'd very quickly know something was wrong if they weren't genuine.  

“To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6881
    I'll try and get some pics up later of the packaging.. 

But I have here 2 sets of Eb super slinkys, 3 sets of hybrid slinkys. 

All bought individually either from Pmt, or strings direct. 

I've noticed lately that some packs now have the shiny exterior, like a metallic foil look. Others still have the same non shiny pack. 

Over the years I've also noticed slight differences in colour on the external packs. Some slightly different shades of pink than others, but I noticed that on the non shiny packs more so. 

I would presume being bought from SD or PMT means these are genuine every time. So I'd say some colour variations are normal across the board. 

Thing is, lots of people claim EB strings can be hit and miss in terms of quality, though I've never really found it.

Maybe one or two packs over the years have felt slightly different, I presume old and degraded despite the foil.

I don't think EB have a fake checker like D'adds do, but maybe give them an Email and see if they can suggest any pointers. 
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
  • PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4175
    skunkwerx said:

I don't think EB have a fake checker like D'adds do,
    The fake D'Addarios I bought from eBay checked out OK on their serial number checker.
    skunkwerx said:

Thing is, lots of people claim EB strings can be hit and miss in terms of quality, though I've never really found it.

I wonder if any of the people who say that are buying off eBay and sometimes getting fakes, sometimes getting real ones (or even good quality fakes if they exist)
  • I got caught out once with Daddario EXl110s from eBay. I knew something was off when I felt the inner bag; it didn't feel right. Unfurling the strings confirmed it. They felt wrong between my fingers and they didn't straighten out; they retained their curve. Got my money back and repoEbay and Daddario.

daddario.com/upload/DABR_Counterfeit_Strings_LowRes_15727.pdf

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11470
    I don't buy strings from Ebay - too much risk of fakes.

I do use Amazon, but only direct from Amazon themselves, not third party sellers - again too much risk of fakes.

If possible I will avoid Amazon and use someone like Strings Direct as they aren't a tax dodging multinational, but unless Strings Direct have an offer on, they are normally quite a lot more expensive.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BigsbyBigsby Frets: 2963
    crunchman said:
    If possible I will avoid Amazon and use someone like Strings Direct as they aren't a tax dodging multinational, but unless Strings Direct have an offer on, they are normally quite a lot more expensive.
    Last time I looked at Amazon for strings, they were more expensive than the well established Ebay sellers, and the same price as Andertons four for three deal, so buying eight packs from Andertons made more sense, (if you really want to save money). But I guess it also depends on the brand and just what Amazon's algorithms are doing that day.

Ultimately, if you buy from tax-dodging multinationals, the non-tax dodgers won't survive, the tax dodgers prices will then rise, and the government will still have to raise the same level of tax, so you'll end up paying that too - life will end up more expensive in the long run... Unless you happen to live in Luxembourg.