Boosting 5E3

What's Hot
kswilson89kswilson89 Frets: 222
I'm looking for an overdrive for boosting my 5E3 for practice at bedroom levels. I currently use a treble booster for overdriven tones when playing at full volume but need something to give me dirt at lower volumes. What do you guys use for this kind of amp circuit at lower volumes?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JohnPerryJohnPerry Frets: 1622
    A Bearfoot SYOD3. I've used many quality ODs into my Lazy J20. This is the closest to the sound of the amp cranked. 

• tone1tone1 Frets: 5175
    edited October 2018
    I’ve got a  5e3 and it loves the Hudson Broadcast and the Lazyj Cruiser 
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7344
    edited October 2018
    Oooer - I like several realistic everyday options depending upon mood *and* guitar that sound superb and as a result I do not have constant PAS...!

So, obviously I only use what is available to me but if it don't sound good I don't use it let alone shout about it.

For *added* headroom with a drive I sometimes include my PROEL DS10 to clean things up with the natural drive compression in the circuit, but Drive pedals that I know will regularly deliver include: Cool Cat Trans Drive, Kokko Booster, and a MUM Ultra Metal that I only use as a Fuzz as it delivers the most focused Fuzz that I have (and like) and akin to that Bearfoot Pink Purple Fuzz. In fact, that alone into my 57 Deluxe with a smidgen of tape delay sounds just like a LazyJ with a Cruiser.

Job done.

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    KoT is pretty good but the OCD is better, not sure I can explain in what way, and that's A/B'ing them with near as dammit volume, gain and tone settings.
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6142
    The Xotic BB preamp works beautifully into Fender tweed amps especially with single coil pickups. Just the perfect amount of drive with plenty of clarity.

(pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • mattdavismattdavis Frets: 841
    edited October 2018
    I’ve just had a LOT of fun with my EP Booster with my Tele and j20. And have discovered the lowly ds1 sounds fanastic into it! 
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16119
    Tumnus
  • svejksvejk Frets: 148
    Sweet Honey....works a treat!
  • ThorpyFX The Dane. You have a choice of Boost on it's own, Drive on it's own, or both Boost and Drive together.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom