wudtone strat trem vs standard strat trem

axisusaxisus Frets: 28353
I bought a Wudtone vintage style trem for my recent strat build, and it is very good and does just what it says on the tin, but ..... my memory is a bit vague on it but I think I preferred the feel of the standard strat 6 screw trem. Are they all that different or am I just remembering wrong? 

I'm thinking I might try a Wilkinson WV6 as they are cheap, closer to a standard 6 screw trem but a bit of an upgrade design-wise.

Any thoughts?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• The Wilkinson is a great system for little money
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • Which Wudtone did you buy 
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 3013
    I’m a bit evangelical about the Wudtone trems but then as other threads round these parts have proven it is just an opinion !

For years I’d had Strats with a 2 post trem because the felt so much smoother in operation than a “clunky” vintage 6 screw trem. But for all of that I did start to wonder about the impact on sound so I started to put together a more vintage styled Strat with a Wudtone trem. And in fact in tandem I also started putting together a more modern type Suprstrar with a VS100 two post trem thinking I’d still need that for my bad Jeff Beck impersonations but I finished the vintage flavoured one first and was so impressed with how well the Wudtone trem functioned and sounded that I sold on the Suprstrat.

Just my experience though. And yes, for the money there really is nothing to beat one of those Wilkinson’s with the Steel block
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 3013
    Thinking on it, one on mine is the one they’re now marketing as the “Holy Grail” rather than the “Vintage” unit, not sure if that has much bearing 
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31865
    I built a partscaster with a Wudtone vintage trem and it sounded exactly the same unplugged as my 1963 Strat, played side by side. 

It's a fantastic trem, the only reason there's any debate about that at all is because Andy is a bit of a divisive character. 

(I sold the 63 as surplus to requirements) 
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28353
    p90fool said:
    I built a partscaster with a Wudtone vintage trem and it sounded exactly the same unplugged as my 1963 Strat, played side by side. 

I'm thinking of the feel rather than the sound. The Wudtone seems to have a certain 'rigidity', and I'm sure that is beneficial in many ways, but I think I prefer a 'looser' feel.
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    p90fool said:

It's a fantastic trem, the only reason there's any debate about that at all is because Andy is a bit of a divisive character. 

(I sold the 63 as surplus to requirements) 
    I almost didn’t buy the wudtone trem I have because of how Andy posted when he was on here but it really is a fantastic bit of kit.  It’s so good I’m seriously considering trying their prs version on my ce22.  
  • Pete24vPete24v Frets: 235
    I put a Wudtone on my warmoth strat after having a super vee on it.

The Wudtone was so much better in use and tone. 
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28353
    For what it's worth - I have put a Wilkinson trem on and yes, I do prefer the feel to the Wudtone. It's more of a traditional strat feel. It doesn't look as nice, and the bar isn't great, but I think I will stick with it. 

The Wudtone is a great trem, it's just a different beast.