How Many Amps?

What's Hot

Comments

• markslade07markslade07 Frets: 836
    Just 2 for me...a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe and a Tiny Terror which is used now for home practice and as a back up amp in case the HRD goes tits up. Loud enough to just about gig with if required so it gets chucked in the boot
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JohnPerryJohnPerry Frets: 1620
    viz said:
    JohnPerry said:
    I have six but only use four at once. Years ago I discovered I couldn't live without a stereo setup. Now I have two independent stereo setups. Absurd, but does sound fantastic

so now you can listen in stereo in stereo?
    exactly. it's just more.

think of it as surround sound

• Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    4 heads
    2 off 4x12
    1 off 2x12
    4 off low powered "practice" combos (although I have taken one of these to gigs where high volume was not required)
    4 off medium powered "gig" combos (1 acoustic, 1 kbd)
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    I was shocked to discover a few weeks ago that I had five 2x12 combos, a Fender Frontman 15 practice amp and a Selmer T'n'B head without a cab.
    I have since shed a Marshall 2x12 DFX, and am looking to thin the herd a little more in order to introduce a bit more variety.
  • I have six valve heads, one 4x12 cab and a tiny speaker cab with a 8" speaker in it.

One of the vavle heads is a tiny 1 watt affair

The rest of the heads are big massive affairs between 80-130 watts

I use my Matamp head for gigging and practice.

I collect STAK valve amps (I have three two are the same one is more powerful)

I have another random head I got because I used to like collecting amps.
    Old Is Gold
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6153
    Lots. More than 20 anyway. I tell myself they're for tonal research. :)
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    I have NINE (9) amps!

One is a legacy of youth, one PA/keyboard use only now and majority serious gigging and recording combos (I like a combo).

I want more of course but would be loathed to sell any I already have as they all have some great useful qualities that 'one day will come in handy' !!
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

of the several million amps I have [in the Axe-FX], the ones I use most are:

Diezel Herbert

Deizel VH4

Engl Savage

Peavey 5150 mkIII and mkI 'block'

70's 100W Hiwatt

Marshall JCM800 and occasionally the Silver Jubilee

Carol-Anne Triptik

59 Bassman

65 Bassman

Texas Star

there are a few amps that I think I should look into a little more at some point.. the Dumble ODS, Brown Eye, Dual Rec, AC30 and AC15.. and maybe the Uberschall

play every note as if it were your first
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6391
    Erm ... I forgot Jazz/Acoustic ....

AER 60
    Henricksen JazzAmp 10+
    Fishman Loudbox Pro *

Any one want a Fishman Loudbox (the 2 channel, 100W one) ?  PM me

Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • The first two replies said it all for me.
    Ill just add that there's no ' holy grail' amp, guitar, or pedal that will be all things to everyone- all the time.

Variety is the spice of life! Whether your recording, gigging or playing for your own enjoyment at home; if you're listening critically to the sound/s you get, you reach the point where multiple choice between instruments (and an amp is just as much of an intrument as an elec guitar imo) is necassary.
  • KerpunkKerpunk Frets: 75
    I have three.

A Laney VC30 to make ears bleed a Vox AC4 to piss my neighbours off and a Roland Cube 60 who's whereabouts I'm not fully sure of.
  • laney vc20 212 combo, main gigging amp

laney cub12 r have gigged but use for jams and loud playing at home

micro terror head to use as emergency backup to plug combo speakers into if needed

peavey 112 bandit permanently left in our rehearsal shed for reheasals and occasional outdoor gigs

little Kustom 10w solid state practise amp for noodling at home.

tbh when at home I often plug into whatever is nearest, cant be arsed moving amps around

• CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4309
    One amp, Tone King Imperial 20th Ann.

Does all I need it to and more. Attenuator for the house, but enough volume to play out if required. Beautiful BF type clean channel and plenty of gain (for me) on the 2nd channel. Gorgeous reverb and trem. And it's pretty enough for the wife not minding it in the living room.

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    CHRISB50 said:
    One amp, Tone King Imperial 20th Ann.

Does all I need it to and more. Attenuator for the house, but enough volume to play out if required. Beautiful BF type clean channel and plenty of gain (for me) on the 2nd channel. Gorgeous reverb and trem. And it's pretty enough for the wife not minding it in the living room.
    ...you gonner be so miserable when it needs going off to have a service or somesuch with nothing to play through...!
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8711
    Clarky said:

of the several million amps I have [in the Axe-FX], the ones I use most are:

65 Bassman
    Two Rock
    Dumble (Bludojai)
    Bognor Shiva
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2359
    Yeah, I do.

Pure GAS, yup. :))

I do only have one bass amp, though :D
  • PyromanPyroman Frets: 58

I have five:  3 guitar, 2 bass.

Fender Mustang III- My usual go to.

Fender Super Champ x2.- for those times when the neighbors are out, and I can turn up a bit.  I like this one a lot, Just for whatever reason I've been playing thru the Mustang more recently.

Vox VT20+  Sits in closet gathering dust since I bought ^^.  I keep it as a grab and go for going to lessons and such.  too much of a pita to unplug all the pedals and such from my others.  Plus, it was only $170 new and isn't worth much to sell...

Bass:

Markbass Micro Mark. 1x8 combo.  My go to.  It's basically a 13" cube- you can't get much more portable than that.  Love the sound. 

Fender Rumble 15. Keeping that Vox company in the closet.  At $99 new, it's hardly worth the effort to sell it.  Very nice sounding, but it runs out of headroom very quickly.

The collection IS somewhat due to GAS, but mostly simple upgrades.  The Mustang was a great deal found on craigs list, shortly after I got the Superchamp.

The Markbass was a result of a massive Peavey MAX that took up WAY too much room in my apartment, and was bulky and awkward to move around.  I wasn't sold on the sound, either.  Traded that for the Markbass, and won on both counts.

I still GAS for other amps, mainly a nice vintage sounding all valve combo.  I've resisted, so far- because I already have two amps I love, and all the valve amps I've tried were too frigging loud when used to get the tone I wanted from them.  I think I'm spoiled by the flexibility, and low level tones from my Modellers.  I still want one, though...  I also still GAS for a v2 Mustang- just for the extra models and dirt options.

• DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2168
    At the moment just two Fender Blues Deluxe reissue combo and a Vox Lil Night train head and 1x10 cab. The Fender was bought after I got fed up honking a Marshall 2x12 100w combo and a 2x12 cab. Carrying a guitar combo with one arm and the guitar in the other became really appealing.
    The lil night train is just for plinking  around on in the house.
    I could never park right next to the house after a gig, sometimes a two minute walk away.  So cutting down the amount of 2am walks back to the car, appealed to me :) I am thinking about getting a nice amplifier though, something which i can get decent chunky overdriven sounds from the amp rather than a stompbox. I'm pretty much done with electrig guitar gas, my pretty much PRS cured that (never say never!). But I could see myself getting a nice zilla cab and maybe three guitar heads, a mesa, H&K and a fender super sonic. But in all seriousness if it was one head which covered a lots of sounds effectively then i'd be sold :)
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.