Page’s Dragon Tele

What's Hot

Comments

• robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3613
    This guitar will be remastered every year for the next four decades.
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
    8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • monofinmonofin Frets: 1118
    This is the guitar I always hoped Fender would build.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fields5069fields5069 Frets: 3826
    Apparently Fender got it 110% or 150% right. Gammon statz ftw! 
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3641
    It will no doubt cost a fortune but much as I respect LZ and Pagey in particular his amateurish art school effort dragon is for acolytes only IMO.

• Will you be given special dispensation to play Stairway on it when you try it out? 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Neil said:
    It will no doubt cost a fortune but much as I respect LZ and Pagey in particular his amateurish art school effort dragon is for acolytes only IMO.

He didn't paint it
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • Neil said:

He didn't paint it
    I thought he did but a friend repainted it & "ruined" it. 
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3641
    Neil said:

He didn't paint it
    You surprise me as I always read that he painted it.

If not Pagey - who?
  • Neil said:
    Neil said:

He didn't paint it

If not Pagey - who?
    It looks like it was drawn in school art class. Maybe Lori Maddox moved from crayons to paints while Jimmy knew her. 
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5835
    Neil said:
    Neil said:

He didn't paint it

If not Pagey - who?

I heard Jimmy's quite close to Stevie Wonder, and going by the look of that dragon....
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JayGeeJayGee Frets: 1269
    robgilmo said:
    ...and turn out actually to be the work of some old black guy who never saw a penny from it. :-)
    Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23164
    impmann said:
    monoamine said:
    The dragon tele was great because it was cheap, cheerful and different. It really isn't the sort of guitar that needed a high profile reissue costing way more than labour and parts combined. Anyone who really wanted one would happily make their own as a tribute partscaster.
    I disagree to a point.

The real guitar is a ‘59 Fender Tele - hardly a ‘cheap guitar’. It was also once the property of Jeff Beck who used it extensively with the Yardbirds. It’s alleged by some that *this* is the Over Under Sideways Down guitar (young uns might want to check that out on YT - and then try playing it...).

If this was one of those “fabled” Les Paul Standards from the same era, instead of the negativity there would be pant creaming about flame maple and sunburst finishes. But because it’s a Fender somehow it has to be cheap - perhaps there’s less Unicorn Tears used in the process of building one... 

Sneer all you want but a reissue of this guitar is long overdue AND the really exciting piece of this puzzle is that Jimmy has had the real guitar restored. That for me is far more bloody interesting than any sunburst Pudding. I want to see the man play it again - and if the rumours are true that he and Plant are planning another Zeppelin or Zep-based outing, this could be brilliant.

As you all were - back to the negativity...
    I agree that it's just as worthy of commemoration as many other iconic guitars which have already been given the tribute/recreation treatment by Fender and/or Gibson, but would you actually consider buying one?
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3613
    JayGee said:
    robgilmo said:
    ...and turn out actually to be the work of some old black guy who never saw a penny from it. :-)
    Maybe they should get Ibanez to build the Fender guitar and get Page to change it a little but not by enough to actually change anything about it?
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    impmann said:
    Gives me an excuse to share the greatest opening track on any debut album ever IMHO. And yes, all the guitar sounds are the Dragon Tele

https://youtu.be/FSiUTSJ2NWY
    It really is fantastic, isn’t it! Still blows me away after all these years!
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • springheadspringhead Frets: 1602
    ^^ yep, amazing entrance for a band. 
  • ColsCols Frets: 7115
    But, but, but... what about this?
    Goddammit, beat me to it.  £900 for a graffitied Squier Tele, bargain.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14440
    tFB Trader
    No info pack yet at my end but initial chat with the Fender UK guys and what we know so far is a USA production version so I dare say along the lines of other signature models like the Clapton, Beck, Johnson models etc etc - no prices yet  and not sure if this is a one off with a limited run/supply or part of a continual run like an EC Strat

The other is a Paul Weller Master Built model - no quantities issued yet or indeed price, but expect one to be low and one to be high - Not even been told about allocations yet of this - all will apparently be relieved soon - Not even sure if we can order one as it might just be allocated to big accounts !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Cols said:
    But, but, but... what about this?
    Goddammit, beat me to it.  £900 for a graffitied Squier Tele, bargain.
    BUT i has a tinfoil pick guard 
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28347
    I'd forgotten that G&R started off looking like a poncey hair band
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214