Mini Practice Amps - Any good or waste of time?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30291
    Pignose.
    A lot more versatile than its single volume control would suggest.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5382
    I've got the Blackstar Fly 3 (with the extension cab, oooh, rock and roll). For the money and the size it's great, and the aux in is handy for practice along to tracks etc.  Obviously not as good as a "proper" amp, but very flexible.  Tends to sit on a table at the end of the sofa for evening practice without bugging Mrs Snags, whereas plugging the combo in on the other side of the room will piss her off.
  • Update:

Popped into PMT Newcastle today for a nosey at some mini amps, and chance to have a play about.

The result - the Laney Lionheart Mini-ST is going top of my list Santa Claus this year! Decided it was the best looking and best sounding of the bunch, and that Tonebridge software thing looks like great fun to play with!

Roll on Xmas...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TedTed Frets: 126
    The Yahama THR5 seems quite good, it's also got a USB port so you can connect it to a DAW or audio interface. Its got an interesting orange glow when turned on. It's volume is'nt very high, so you might want to think about the THR10 if you want to blast.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • siremoonsiremoon Frets: 1524
    Roland Microcube.  Plenty to be had on ebay. 
    “He is like a man with a fork in a world of soup.” - Noel Gallagher
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    edited November 2018
    Mark1960 said:
    When my son went to Uni he bought a Yamaha THR5 for playing in his digs, either through earphones or normally. I had a go on it recently and was very impressed with the sound quality. It also has tons of models and effects all for about £150.00. It also doubles as his HiFi as he plays his phone through it.
    I find these abhorrent! I have a student (45 yr old male) who insists on having flange and delay dialed up for everything I try to work with him on and there is no seeming way to get an honest basic tone without some frilly nonsense or tinny deadness... Yuk Yuk Yuk
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>