SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

Charvel Custom Shop Masterbuilt San Dimas on Reverb

What's Hot
Apologies before hand if this is not the right part of the forum to post a rant.

Dear Mods, please feel free to move/delete (if needed) as you see fit. Many thanks. 

First of all, I want to clarify that I have no connection whatsoever to the guitar, its previous owner or current seller. I am just a Charvel fan puzzled with the practices of some guitar dealers. 

To the point in question, I was browsing Reverb and came across a Charvel Custom Shop Masterbuilt San Dimas with zebrawood top.

The guitar in question was sold on eBay a couple of weeks ago and, as stated by the original seller, it was used and played. The upsetting bit is that the people now selling it on Reverb claim that it is new and unplayed and even seem to imply that it was imported/ordered from the USA by them, which is clearly not the case (links to the original eBay and current Reverb listings below)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Charvel-Custom-Shop-San-Dimas-Masterbuilt/202446776210?hash=item2f22c4a792:g:51YAAOSwu7xbp6wR#vi__app-cvip-panel

https://reverb.com/item/16098474-new-charvel-jackson-usa-custom-shop-master-built-san-dimas-zebrawood-fender-strat-headstock

Flagging this in case someone here is interested in the guitar, so they know a bit more about the actual background/history of the instrument. 

I have also flagged this to Reverb, but they haven’t taken any action yet. 

Cheers,

Jose

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• carloscarlos Frets: 3458
    Might as well ask @essexrecording himself about it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CapeloCapelo Frets: 17
    @carlos many thanks. Had no idea that the seller was part of this forum.

All I hope is that the listing is amended to reflect more accurately the history of the guitar, so whoever buys it has the full details. I am a Charvel fan boy and if I dropped that much cash for a guitar I wouldn’t like to find out afterwards that the was pre-owned when I had been told otherwise
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • dbphotodbphoto Frets: 716
    edited October 2018
    carlos said:
    Might as well ask @essexrecording himself about it.
    Haha, unless you want some abuse in return I wouldn’t bother as by all accounts @essexrecording is not exactly charming going by a recent thread on here ;-)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • To be fair he does say used mint.  I think the NEW in the title means it’s a new advert...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dbphotodbphoto Frets: 716
    Nope, don’t think so:

Guitar is new and unplayed, has two small marks on the metal back cover and a neck pocket hairline from when it was shipped from California over here to the UK’
  • wizbit81wizbit81 Frets: 449
    Ah Essex, he's not been rude to me or anything, but he has made me several amusingly insultingly low ball offers for high end gear in the past with a 'best I can offer is a fiver and a mouldy shoe mate' approach. 
  • hasslehamhassleham Frets: 607
    I knew who the seller was going to be before I even clicked the reverb link..
  • KrisGeeKrisGee Frets: 1307
    Asked him why is he lying in the listing, also informed it's been exposed on here so he could have a read and...

"You have been reported for your persistent harassment. The guitar's condition and description is thoroughly photographed and documented. It isn't even a year old. You being pedantic and childish along with two of your "special" friends on your "well known" guitar forum has no place on this site. Reported"

First class seller! 
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ModellistaModellista Frets: 2041
    What a thoroughly unpleasant man. 
  • Hydra19Hydra19 Frets: 329
    What I shame to read about this guy again. I was interested in one of his guitars but after reading everything on the forum here, I am skeptical as to the guitar itself, it'd probably be worth 500 less than he is selling it for. I have thought of sending him an offer just to read all the insults he'd throw my way.

Thank you for letting us know about this particular guitar
  • kerryboykerryboy Frets: 169
    I like the way he says "neck pocket hairline from when it was shipped".
    What does he really mean by this. I read that to mean 'there is a crack in the neck pocket'. I might be wrong but he's deliberately avoiding using the word crack as people usually run a mile if they hear there is a crack.
  • danny_777danny_777 Frets: 660
    "Essex Recording Studios" is absolute scum. See here: http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/140428/essex-recording-studio-ebay-beware/p1

Really a genuinely terrible individual. Buys guitars with damage, lists them them without describing or showing the damage, and triples the price.
    danny_777 said:
    "Essex Recording Studios" is absolute scum. See here: http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/140428/essex-recording-studio-ebay-beware/p1

Really a genuinely terrible individual. Buys guitars with damage, lists them them without describing or showing the damage, and triples the price.
    This is exactly why I'm doubting his Jackson Custom Shop guitars are custom shop quality. Even his new guitars could be factory rejects, but he seems like he would buy that and make them be the buyer's problem 
  • Sounds like a cunt. I don't know why anyone would want to deal with such an individual. It beats me how any of these back room business sell anything.…..

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • ModellistaModellista Frets: 2041
    He's a proper Walter Mitty.  In the last thread he was caught selling an alleged "Thin Lizzy" Deluxe which was manufactured a full five years after the chap in Lizzy bought his.  Here he's simply made up the "never played" thing in order to jazz up the advert a bit.

Professionally lying for profit isn't a good look.
    He's a proper Walter Mitty.  In the last thread he was caught selling an alleged "Thin Lizzy" Deluxe which was manufactured a full five years after the chap in Lizzy bought his.  Here he's simply made up the "never played" thing in order to jazz up the advert a bit.

It shouldn't be allowed as it's a form of fraud but at the same time, he is free to list the instruments the way he wants in his site so if we don't like the price, we don't have to buy it.

My question is, and I'm not thinking of doing it, but one could potentially buy one of his instruments and claim a partial refund for false listings, and we could probably identify a few guitars with issues just from pics, etc.

I have never done that on purpose but one time I did buy a 100 year old acoustic that was listed as in great condition but in fact, the neck was bowed and the seller offered me a 50% refund without even asking, and I was happy overall 
  • danny_777danny_777 Frets: 660

Hydra19 said:

It shouldn't be allowed as it's a form of fraud but at the same time, he is free to list the instruments the way he wants in his site so if we don't like the price, we don't have to buy it.

My question is, and I'm not thinking of doing it, but one could potentially buy one of his instruments and claim a partial refund for false listings, and we could probably identify a few guitars with issues just from pics, etc.

I have never done that on purpose but one time I did buy a 100 year old acoustic that was listed as in great condition but in fact, the neck was bowed and the seller offered me a 50% refund without even asking, and I was happy overall 
    It seems that this guy generally TRIPLES (or more) the price he buys at... so you'd have to get a very hefty refund indeed!!!

A proper scam artist.
  • kerryboykerryboy Frets: 169
    edited October 2018

Yeah, one of us could do that. Let us know how you get on.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom