Studio monitors for Helix use.

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Branshen said:
    Fretwired said:
    I have a pair of these I use with an HX Stomp - they sound awesome. Read the reviews and check out YouTube:

Buy a pair here:

I have a pair of Yamaha HS7 monitors but I prefer the IK's with the HX Stomp.

Curious why you prefer the IK's to the HS7's. I get the impression that the HS7's are better all-round monitors and have better low-end.
    The HS7's require driving to deliver a decent tone. The IK Loud's sound great across a range of useable volumes and have a decent low end. They are great monitors. Many big studios have a pair.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33798
    Branshen said:
    Fretwired said:
    I have a pair of these I use with an HX Stomp - they sound awesome. Read the reviews and check out YouTube:

Buy a pair here:

I have a pair of Yamaha HS7 monitors but I prefer the IK's with the HX Stomp.

Curious why you prefer the IK's to the HS7's. I get the impression that the HS7's are better all-round monitors and have better low-end.
    Guitar low end is a different proposition to program material low end.
    Unless you are downturning there is quite a lot of roll off around 80hz in an electric guitar signal.
    I'm not a huge fan of the HS7's- particularly in the mids.

In pro studios the iLouds have not in any way replaced a proper set of monitors- they replace the small monitors you have next to the edit desk, usually Genelec 8010's or similar.
    The iLoud's are really terrific for what they are though- I'd personally never want to mix on them, but for reference checking and on bandwidth limited tasks (vocal comps, editing jobs where you don't want to fry your ears) they are great.

I have a set on my modular synth, they are good there too.
  • BranshenBranshen Frets: 1222
    Cheers for the response fellas. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Thanks for the responses, I looked at the iLoud but discounted them on form factor (they look too small to put out anything big) and thought that they might be a bit similar to my Vox Adio which also claims to be 50w (not sure I believe that). 

The problem with the Adio is that the case and speaker just farts at volume so you're nowhere near running at max.

Still thinking about the Mackie CR5, which are also 50w but with a 5 inch cone but its got me thinking about the iLoud again, especially considering their compact size.

Thanks for the responses, I looked at the iLoud but discounted them on form factor (they look too small to put out anything big) and thought that they might be a bit similar to my Vox Adio which also claims to be 50w (not sure I believe that). 

The problem with the Adio is that the case and speaker just farts at volume so you're nowhere near running at max.

Still thinking about the Mackie CR5, which are also 50w but with a 5 inch cone but its got me thinking about the iLoud again, especially considering their compact size.

The iLoud's put out some serious volume and bass - top producers have them in their studio. They are not Mickey Mouse monitors.

edited October 2019
    Fretwired said:
    Thanks for the responses, I looked at the iLoud but discounted them on form factor (they look too small to put out anything big) and thought that they might be a bit similar to my Vox Adio which also claims to be 50w (not sure I believe that). 

The iLoud's put out some serious volume and bass - top producers have them in their studio. They are not Mickey Mouse monitors.

So they aren't Mickey Mouse but also 'top producers' get paid lots of money for endorsements too.
    For some it is a more profitable income stream than their mix work, thanks to streaming royalties being in the toilet.
    I've got a pair, I'd never mix anything on them.

CLA is well known for putting his name to a bunch of products- Waves plugins, Avantone 'NS10's style monitors', iLouds and the like.
    Does he actually use these to mix records? 
    I really, really doubt it.

The whole prosumer industry runs on trying to associate entry-to-mid level gear with big names who use high end gear to do their jobs.
    CLA has a $200k console and about a million dollars worth of vintage analogue hardware and he does his mixing work with some £240 monitors.
    Does this pass the bullshit test?

iLoud's are good monitors for what they are, a compact £240 product with moderate output and more bass than you would expect.
    If people believe the marketing hype and expect them to do more than that then that is up to them.

edited October 2019
    octatonic said:

So they aren't Mickey Mouse but also 'top producers' get paid lots of money for endorsements too.
    For some it is a more profitable income stream than their mix work, thanks to streaming royalties being in the toilet.

CLA is well known for putting his name to a bunch of products- Waves plugins, Avantone 'NS10's style monitors', iLouds and the like.

The whole prosumer industry runs on trying to associate entry-to-mid level gear with big names who use high end gear to do their jobs.
    CLA has a $200k console and about a million dollars worth of vintage analogue hardware and he does his mixing work with some £240 monitors.

iLoud's are good monitors for what they are, a compact £240 product with moderate output and more bass than you would expect.
    If people believe the marketing hype and expect them to do more than that then that is up to them.

Have you got a pair or tried them (interested to know)?

I do and I have a pair of Yamaha HS7's. I'm just a hobbyist in a bedroom not some top producer - they sound good as they give you an idea what someone on a PC listening to an MP3 will hear. Plenty of positive reviews in the press and online from people who are not paid a red cent. The OP was looking at £200 monitors - if he was looking at £2K monitors I wouldn't have mentioned them. For the money they are very good.

Fretwired said:
    octatonic said:

I do and I have a pair of Yamaha HS7's. I'm just a hobbyist in a bedroom not some top producer - they sound good as they give you an idea what someone on a PC listening to an MP3 will hear. Plenty of positive reviews in the press and online from people who are not paid a red cent. The OP was looking at £200 monitors - if he was looking at £2K monitors I wouldn't have mentioned them. For the money they are very good.

Yes, see above. I also said this a little earlier in the thread:
    octatonic said:

I bought them for my modular because I needed some small speakers that I could do some sound design on.
    Not for mixing, just to pull some sounds in a part of there studio that would otherwise have me turning around the other way to hear the speakers (the modular was on the back wall in Singapore).

I'm not disputing that they are good for the money- I guess I was making a point about celebrity endorsements.
    They are fine for what they are but not sure I'd recommend them for Helix either, compared with something with a better midrange.
    Also, unbalanced inputs aren't exactly a pro look.

My advice to the OP would be to find another £100 and get a set of Kali LP6's: https://www.thomann.de/gb/kali_audio_lp_6.htm
  • octatonic said:
    Fretwired said:
    octatonic said:

Yes, see above. I also said this a little earlier in the thread:
    octatonic said:

I bought them for my modular because I needed some small speakers that I could do some sound design on.
    Not for mixing, just to pull some sounds in a part of there studio that would otherwise have me turning around the other way to hear the speakers (the modular was on the back wall in Singapore).

I'm not disputing that they are good for the money- I guess I was making a point about celebrity endorsements.
    They are fine for what they are but not sure I'd recommend them for Helix either, compared with something with a better midrange.
    Also, unbalanced inputs aren't exactly a pro look.

My advice to the OP would be to find another £100 and get a set of Kali LP6's: https://www.thomann.de/gb/kali_audio_lp_6.htm
    Argh, budget creep alert!!! =)