New Hummingbird isn't really flying...

What's Hot
mli3mli3 Frets: 206
So I was super excited to get my Hummingbird from Kenny's on their good deal, got it on Tuesday but didn't open it up until last night when I knew I had a free evening. 

I've always wanted one, especially in the cherry colour, but when I started playing it I was not blown away. I wanted to be blown away, but wasn't. Then I picked up my J-45 and instantly smiled again.. 

Shame really - I wanted to love it and keep it. Will have some more time with it over the weekend I guess, but I'm mildly gutted that it isn't doing it for me right now.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Does it sound like a slightly soggy cardboard box, and appear to have been constructed by the shop apprentice? That was my recent experience with one. Be glad of the return policy :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • The variation in tone, resonance etc. etc. between seemingly identical models of guitar can be massive. For some brands the variation isn't too bad... but that's not been my experience of Gibson acoustics. Sadly, I think you need to play them before buying. 
    I could be in the market for a Hummingbird... at the prices that Kenny's have got them. However, buying remote is too risky for me.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mli3mli3 Frets: 206
    The variation in tone, resonance etc. etc. between seemingly identical models of guitar can be massive. For some brands the variation isn't too bad... but that's not been my experience of Gibson acoustics. Sadly, I think you need to play them before buying. 
    I could be in the market for a Hummingbird... at the prices that Kenny's have got them. However, buying remote is too risky for me.
    i actually prefer buying remote as you can play it in the comfort of your own home for as long as you need (rather than in a shop etc). and you have 14 days to give it back. 
  • mli3 said:
    The variation in tone, resonance etc. etc. between seemingly identical models of guitar can be massive. For some brands the variation isn't too bad... but that's not been my experience of Gibson acoustics. Sadly, I think you need to play them before buying. 
    i actually prefer buying remote as you can play it in the comfort of your own home for as long as you need (rather than in a shop etc). and you have 14 days to give it back. 

There is that aspect. However, if Kenny's had been within a 100 mile drive for me... I'd have preferred to go and try all 10 or so that they had in stock - and picked the one that worked for me.  Unfortunately, that wasn't an option for me - or for you - as we're both a bit further away than that.

Would new strings help?
  • Does it sound like a slightly soggy cardboard box, and appear to have been constructed by the shop apprentice? That was my recent experience with one. Be glad of the return policy :)

Yeah... in recent years, I've played more unimpressive new Hummingbirds than great ones. There's only one I've played that was truly immense... but I didn't have the cash at the time. 
  • KoaKoa Frets: 120
    I have a Custom Shop Koa Hummingbird that I can only describe as sounding piano like, full wonderful rich tone. I guess they all differ....
  • I'd love one, but I've never played a Hummingbird I wasn't utterly disappointed with. I'm sure I'll find one eventually, but compared to my old Dove and current HD28 they're mostly a bit dull

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires