SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

WTB: EMG PJ Pickup Set (other flavours considered)

What's Hot
HaychHaych Frets: 5687

Hope I'm not out of line posting in this section - thought I'd get a better response than posting in the parts forum.

I'm after a new set of pickups for the PJ bass, preferably the EMG PJ set but if there's anything else out there that's noise cancelling and sounds good then let me know and I'll check it out.

Thanks in advance.

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14573
    Haych said:
    Hope I'm not out of line posting in this section - thought I'd get a better response than posting in the parts forum.
    Well, you certainly have a better chance of somebody with bass guitar pickups reading your listing before it slips off the first page of the relevant forum section.

Haych said:
    I'm after a new set of pickups for the PJ bass, preferably the EMG PJ set
    IMO, the EMG active pickups with rod magnet polepieces sound more convincing than the closed top models with the blade poles. Having said that, the EMG-P in my cheap old Charvel CX492 sounds huge.

Haych said:
    if there's anything else out there that's noise cancelling and sounds good then let me know and I'll check it out.
    Seymour Duncan/Basslines active bass pickups are easily as good as EMG. For some instruments, they may sound more appropriate. 

Bartolini pickups have their own thing going on. Aguilar and Norstrand both make some lovely pickups. They should be at the price! I cold go on.

Back on topic. What bass guitar is going to host these pickups? How much space does it have for multiple control pots and switches? 

You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • HaychHaych Frets: 5687
    Funkfingers said:

Back on topic. What bass guitar is going to host these pickups? How much space does it have for multiple control pots and switches? 

Thanks for your input @Funkfingers.

They will be going in a Squier Affinity PJ bass.  It plays ok but sounds a bit flat and hollow to me.  I almost pulled the trigger on a MIM Geddy Lee sig bass but for the use I'd give it I think upgrading the bass I already have is more sensible.

Do you make regular use of both pickups? If one pickup predominates, it might make better economic sense just to upgrade that one pickup.
    Do you make regular use of both pickups? If one pickup predominates, it might make better economic sense just to upgrade that one pickup.
    Well, I do but my plan was to split the pickups so they have their own output (with maybe a switch should I ever want to direct both pickups to one output) so I can capture their tone independent of each other. 

Purely for recording purposes. 

• Why not buy this - decent bass and EMG's! Would take an offer, seen summat else I want!

robwright said:
    Why not buy this - decent bass and EMG's! Would take an offer, seen summat else I want!
    Eh?

robwright said:
    this
    Haych said:
    Eh?
    Probably missing an embedded hyperlink to a For Sale thread.
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    I quite like the Geezer Butler PJ set - certainly worth putting on your shortlist. The Seymour Duncan sets are also really good. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    I quite like the Geezer Butler PJ set - certainly worth putting on your shortlist. The Seymour Duncan sets are also really good. 
    True enough - I’m leaning towards the SD Quarter Pounder PJ Set now to be honest. They’re much cheaper to boot. 

I quite like the [EMG-GZR] Geezer Butler PJ set
    What bass guitar do you have those in, eh? ;)
    None - but I’ve played a few with the Geezer set in. I liked them, but preferred the Dimarzio set I put in my PJ - however I doubt they would do what the OP wants as they are much more vintage voiced. They are noise cancelling tho - so may be worth a look
    None - but I’ve played a few with the Geezer set in. I liked them, but preferred the Dimarzio set I put in my PJ - however I doubt they would do what the OP wants as they are much more vintage voiced. They are noise cancelling tho - so may be worth a look
    The OP is a bit clueless tbh. If they sound better than the stock Squier pups they’ll probably work :D 

Haych said:
    The OP is a bit clueless tbh. If they sound better than the stock Squier pups they’ll probably work :D 
    Then the Dimarzio noiseless PJ set is worth considering!!
    Thanks, I'll check them out, although I've always found DiMarzio pickups difficult to source.

The usual problem with DiMarzio is attempting to mix 'n' match one of their numerous P models with a long J pickup. UK stockists only seem to carry the J types in pairs. 

DiMarzio PJ pairs are available but only in permutations that DiMarzio considers fit.
  • Hi,

I have a Fender PJ set, Noiseless pickups, available. You can take a look to my add here, in case you are interested:

Regards,