Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

So you are just about to play a solo.....

What's Hot
HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15984
and you have kicked on your OD for a leg up and now it's time to kick in that special delay setting to thicken up and add some depth and spaciousness to your solo voice......what is your delay Ms time,level and repeats for your magic stand out solo ?

Not looking for a time dependent dotted 8th or anything but a setting for all all tempos, general bread and butter, great solo tone

anybuddy?
tae be or not tae be
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• vizviz Frets: 10719
    Dunno the tempi or repeats but this is the generic delay setting I like tae use: 

2:20 and 5:20

https://youtu.be/8B7hfx8Sgw4
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8495
    The first repeat happens after 50 milliseconds, the second repeat happens after 300.

This is universally guaranteed to sound incredible.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3595
    I don't do numbers so much as what sound good. I play mostly live so set a generic single echo with about 3 repeats that goes well with pretty much anything in terms of lead work. Joe public don't know digital echo from tape and the concept of reverb would blow thier minds.
    Get a nice setting and play confidently. Sorted.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    Something I've never understood since getting in to the guitar is how can a guitarist set a delay time in milliseconds independently from the tempo of the song?

If it's a very fast slapback delay it's not noticeable but if it's in the several hundred ms zone it's just going to be completely out of time with the song unless it's set specifically to be in time, either by calculating the BPM or adjusting it by ear for each specific song.
  • Did someone say 'solo'?

5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    Did someone say 'solo'?

hahaha

I couldn't really make that out at first and thought it was just a man on the floor and I thought "time to get his wah going" then when I looked closer and noticed it was a wah it was hilarious
  • Only use delay on one song and its set to the song tempo.
    I sometimes think, therefore I am intermittent
  • EQ: more midrange
    delay: ?? wouldn't bother

"Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • prlgmnrprlgmnr Frets: 3992
    Lexicon circular delay. 292ms to the right, 584ms to the left, 888ms to the center.

What do you mean you're not in stereo?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72572
    450mS, 2 or 3 repeats, just under 50% level for first repeat.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• gusman2xgusman2x Frets: 921
    Delay on a solo???!!!!

You're mistakes will be heard forever, forever, forever, forever....
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33835
    hootsmon said:
    and you have kicked on your OD for a leg up and now it's time to kick in that special delay setting to thicken up and add some depth and spaciousness to your solo voice......what is your delay Ms time,level and repeats for your magic stand out solo ?

Not looking for a time dependent dotted 8th or anything but a setting for all all tempos, general bread and butter, great solo tone

anybuddy?
    What sauce do you put on every meal regardless of what you are eating?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • prlgmnrprlgmnr Frets: 3992
    octatonic said:
    hootsmon said:

anybuddy?
    What sauce do you put on every meal regardless of what you are eating?
    Delay isn't sauce, delay is salt.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72572
    thegummy said:
    Something I've never understood since getting in to the guitar is how can a guitarist set a delay time in milliseconds independently from the tempo of the song?

If it's a very fast slapback delay it's not noticeable but if it's in the several hundred ms zone it's just going to be completely out of time with the song unless it's set specifically to be in time, either by calculating the BPM or adjusting it by ear for each specific song.
    I missed this question earlier, but I’ve never used tempo-related delays. It doesn’t matter if it’s not in time with the song, it’s just an effect that adds space and fills out the sound.

I like some pieces of music with a delay that’s in time, but that’s a different thing, it’s more like a second guitarist. I never play that sort of music myself though.

The same applies to tremolo, it can either be in time or not, depending on how you want it to sound.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• I use delay for rhythmic stuff and textural things, not cheesy 80's solos...
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31650
    I hate using delay, it ties me to obvious, safe scales as I'm always playing over my previous note. 

Better players than me seem to get around it, but I can't. 
  • I use it quite a lot - an analog/tape style delay set on a relatively low level with 3 or 4 repeats that just blend in. I'd guess it's around 350-400 ms but I don't have a delay with time display so it's just a guess. There's no need to worry about fitting in with the track tempo because it's just a spacey mush and individual repeats are not clear. 
    I've used more precise delay times in the studio to get that Edge-style doubling effect, but that's more for rhythm than solos obv. 
  • GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4151
    edited November 2018
    Lots. Big massive "I'm the 80s God" three repeats of sheer manly echo. As it should be.

• Surely the point of adding delay to a solo is to add so much that individual notes become completely indistinct and you can batter the audience with a wall of oscillation?

Just me then... 

I was looking at some Billy Duffy stuff, he often has two delays. As far as I can see the first one has all the knobs at 10 o'clock and the second one the same but the time moved to 2 o'clock. On a DD3 I'm assuming that's roughly a third and two thirds of 800ms ( you can do the maths but I'm going to say approximately 250 and 500ms). I think it's going through the longer delay first. Satriani does a similar thing, Google says 400 and 600 ms for him. 

Not really sure I get tap tempo unless you are Albert Lee or The Edge. 

I don't think I've plugged in my pedal board for about 6 months but that had one delay for slap and one for long delays ( probably 500ms or so) but the second as more of an ambient thing. Both together ( again long delay first after some experimenting) for being a bit crazier. Both dark analogue delays though. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • The long delay setting on my Helix LT is:
    Time: 331ms
    Mix 35%
    Level: 0dB
    Trails: Off

That's the delay I'm using for the solos in my recent post in the thread titled "Post live videos of your band here"

But generally I tend not to use long delays for solos.

It's not a competition.