How bad is this neck repair?

What's Hot
I was thinking about buying this if it goes cheap. I don’t mind a repaired break but not one done by a toddler like this. 

Any comments as to whether this can be made right and how much it would cost?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23059

It looks OK on one side and shit on the other, but a pretty clean break.

Based entirely on previous neck-break threads, I'd guess someone who knows what they're doing (not me obviously) could sort that out OK.

@ICBM will be by soon to say it must have been breathed on by a moth or something.  ;)

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14568
    IMHO, that guitar is worth buying as seen. A reputable repairer should be able to cleanly remove and reattach the headstock with dowels for strengthening. 

With the thin/sunken finish on that guitar, I would feel no shame in leaving the repair showing. Maybe, just some clear coat to cover the sharp edges.

Worst case scenario, apply a sticker. ;)
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72573
    Philly_Q said:

@ICBM will be by soon to say it must have been breathed on by a moth or something.  ;)

:) The short, steep break which was caused by poor wood selection with the grain 'turning up' slightly behind the nut was certainly a factor in it breaking, yes.

The repair is actually not that bad - at least not compared to some of the horrors we've seen. It's messy, but it looks like it's been clamped properly tightly because there's no 'step' at the back of the neck - and it hasn't been sanded to make it like that or it would have gone through the finish. The difficult question is whether enough, and the right kind of, glue has been used.

Best case is that it's structurally sound and just needs a refinish. Worse case is that it needs more glue soaking into the crack if it's not 100% tight, further clamping, and a refinish. Worst of all case is that it needs splints as well.

Cost... depends who you ask, but somewhere between £50 and £250 depending on the above, I would say.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• WezVWezV Frets: 16761
    Judging by the excess glue on the bass side I would say the right glue has not been used.  

That makes it more fiddly. 
  • MLten80MLten80 Frets: 162
    has a child repaired it with some bluetak? iffy at best
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    No more nails, apparently. 
    Seriously! I asked, and that was the answer..
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

2reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12415
    It isnt that bad a repair job, obviously just done by the owner, i was expecting much worse tbh
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
    Is no more nails ok for a neck repair then? I honestly don’t know..

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16761
    edited November 2018
    usedtobe said:
    No more nails, apparently. 
    Seriously! I asked, and that was the answer..
    Well worth asking... I would be a lot more cautious knowing that.  It suggests they just grabbed what they already had. 

Note the smears on the treble side as well as the squeeze out on the bass 

Doesn't matter how well it's gone together if the wrong glue is used

They do make a wood glue, but I wouldn't use it and don't think it was used here as it tries translucent
  • SimonCSimonC Frets: 1399
    usedtobe said:
    Is no more nails ok for a neck repair then? I honestly don’t know..
    Better than actual nails, I suspect, but only slightly.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72573
    That's worse than I thought. I'm not really familiar with No More Nails, but I suspect it isn't very free-flowing, so the chances of it having penetrated fully into the crack are remote.

So now the worst case is that it needs a double scarf joint with a new piece in the middle.

I'd be inclined to see how strong it is now and if it resists a reasonable attempt to break it, just sand it smooth and call it good enough until proven otherwise... since the worst case won't get any worse for doing so.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Pity really.. I’m in the area, on holiday, right now..

• Sold for £367. I personally think that’s mad. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I paid about 380 for my similarly-broken SG Standard, only with a much better standard of repair. 367 is too much!
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • It would probably have been better if they’d not attempted the repair and sold it properly broken. Presumably it went to someone who could do the repair themselves. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom