Is this worth a gamble.

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 31865
    robgilmo said:
    That Commodore looks totally cool, I would research the hell out of it before bidding though. There are loads of old Japanese guitars out there and some are more special than others. Ignore the lawsuit nonsense. I wonder why it was stripped down? I see they kept the shim but not the screws..
    I had a Commodore from that era with a different body shape. It was quite well made, with proper wood and hardware, but those pickups are horrible. 

I'm a big fan of trashy old pickups, but those are a weird mixture of scooped and harsh, there's a really vicious upper mids thing going on and a gutless bottom end. 

I'd avoid that guitar whatever the price, simply because I already know what it sounds like. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • It’s the sort of thing you’d pay £25 for at a car boot sale a few years ago. I blame eBay for the price inflation. Commodore guitars were not particularly good instruments and not really worth much but there are people out there who will pay good money for this sort of thing and eBay is a great way to find them.
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3683
    Are you after an offset?
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14722
    edited November 2018
    The Squier VM Jaguar HH can be great fun.

The change from the stock Danelectro-inspired bridge to a tune-o-matic and stopbar combination probably required a substantial neck shim to achieve a suitable neck pitch angle. The only proper test of that guitar would be to go and try it through a familiar amplifier. For the starting price, the guitar needs to be absolutely immaculate. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • robgilmo said:
    Are you after an offset?

robgilmo said:
    Are you after an offset?Just looking for a nice guitar what's not to heavy,something i won't lose money on if i sell it.I don't think i'll find it on ebay.

Kerplunk said:
    this is my guitar,
    If I understand you correctly, the Gretsch is a guitar that you already own. The other instruments mentioned in this thread are potential purchases, intended to supplement the capabilities of the Gretsch. 

Kerplunk said:
    i suspect i over paid for it.
    Not necessarily. Set neck, licensed Bigsby vibrato. Under two hundred quid. 

Unless you hate the way the Gretsch plays, it might be wiser to invest your funds in tuner, pickup and electronics upgrades than to buy a second guitar.

If you actively dislike the Gretsch and are convinced that not even a professional set-up can redeem it, sell it to fund a different guitar.
  • Kerplunk said:
    this is my guitar,
    If I understand you correctly, the Gretsch is a guitar that you already own. The other instruments mentioned in this thread are potential purchases, intended to supplement the capabilities of the Gretsch. 

Kerplunk said:

Unless you hate the way the Gretsch plays, it might be wiser to invest your funds in tuner, pickup and electronics upgrades than to buy a second guitar.

If you actively dislike the Gretsch and are convinced that not even a professional set-up can redeem it, sell it to fund a different guitar.
    I love it,but it's a bit on the heavy side.It also needs new tuning pegs,some of the pegs have play in them.
  • Kerplunk said:
    Kerplunk said:
    this is my guitar,

Kerplunk said:

I love it,but it's a bit on the heavy side.It also needs new tuning pegs,some of the pegs have play in them.
    Thats a good idea,upgrades.Can you recommend what tuners,pickups and electronics to upgrade to.cheers.
    Kerplunk said:
    Can you recommend what tuners, pickups and electronics to upgrade to.cheers.
    Not without knowing the diameter of the holes drilled for the current tuners. 

Measure the pickup cavities. This will help to select replacements that would directly retrofit. 

For the controls, an upgrade could be on grounds of both basic component quality and the pot resistance value and taper.
  • Some of those older Gretsch Electromatic Jets can be very heavy as the chambering can vary from very slight to almost hollow body. I own a couple of light ones, a double and a single Jet. I’ve replaced the pickups in both of them, I’ve put Filtertrons in the single Jet and GFS New York’s in the double. I’m very happy with both of them, they are almost as nice as my “real” Gretsch guitars at a fraction of the cost.
  • just thought i'd let you know'the commodor sold for £165.00.