Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

NVGD 1964 Fender Strat

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• peteripeteri Frets: 1283
    Philly_Q said:
    Very nice!  I was born in '64 but I probably wouldn't again lay out the kind of money required to get a birth year guitar.

I've always liked that mid-'60s transition logo.  I'm curious about the neck profile, is it similar to any of the Custom Shop '60s profiles, or completely idiosyncratic?

Warning - nothing below is a criticism of Custom Shop.

For me, this is the area that the CS doesn't get 'right' , at least not the ones I've played. I would say it's quite different, CS in my experience doesn't get the edge rolling the same - either too little or two much.

In terms of the general profile, I would say slightly wider and slightly deeper - very different from my 66 and pretty different from the other 64 in Phils (which had a much deeper neck).

I think the short answer is, they're all different - combination of hand shaping back in the day along with 50+ years of hand shaping/refrets since then changes it all

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited November 2018
     With regards to the logo - did some googling before I got it, they seem to move all over the shop - not a surprise given the hand applied nature. It's certainly slightly higher and forward compared to a lot - but I've found others like it
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14267
    tFB Trader
    peteri said:
    Philly_Q said:
      I'm curious about the neck profile, is it similar to any of the Custom Shop '60s profiles, or completely idiosyncratic?

For me, this is the area that the CS doesn't get 'right' , at least not the ones I've played. I would say it's quite different, CS in my experience doesn't get the edge rolling the same - either too little or two much.

In terms of the general profile, I would say slightly wider and slightly deeper - very different from my 66 and pretty different from the other 64 in Phils (which had a much deeper neck).

I think the short answer is, they're all different - combination of hand shaping back in the day along with 50+ years of hand shaping/refrets since then changes it all

I think you are right in that they are all slightly different when talking about original necks - As a result Fender C/Shop don't have a definitive vintage neck profile to copy - So they offer 3/4/5 different options based on 'popularity' - So similar is probably the key word

Ref the 'rolled edges' on an original, then it will depend on the amount of use each guitar has had 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    As the 64 is very much a transition period, do you know what p/ups are on your Strat - Grey base ? - enamel or polysol winding 

Black bottomed (which was what I was after), date stamped in yellow April 64 - which I think you don't see too often (the yellow ink I mean)

No idea on the wiring - can I tell from the colour?

tFB Trader
    peteri said:

Black bottomed (which was what I was after), date stamped in yellow April 64 - which I think you don't see too often (the yellow ink I mean)

No idea on the wiring - can I tell from the colour?

yes ref the colour - enamel winding is dirty brown almost 'rusty' colour - polysol is bright orangey/copper - won't be formvar for that period - I'm guessing as they have the black bottoms it will be enamel winding
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22885
    peteri said:
    Philly_Q said:
      I'm curious about the neck profile, is it similar to any of the Custom Shop '60s profiles, or completely idiosyncratic?

I think you are right in that they are all slightly different when talking about original necks - As a result Fender C/Shop don't have a definitive vintage neck profile to copy - So they offer 3/4/5 different options based on 'popularity' - So similar is probably the key word

Ref the 'rolled edges' on an original, then it will depend on the amount of use each guitar has had 

Thanks, this is what I was expecting - I know the CS are really only attempting to make some kind of recognisable "average" profile(s) for any given period.  And there's a wide enough choice to suit almost anyone, even fussy buggers like me.

Not surprisingly, it sounds like real vintage guitars are much more individual - but then I'd never buy one sight unseen (would anyone?)

I have, once - actually it turned out well, but I wouldn't do it again.

At the lower price end distant selling regs protect you - but apart from that, just too much risk - travel a bit.

As I said, I personally feel that the profile on a CS strat is a good average, I do think they overdo the edge rolling - kind of like the edge is chamfered too much - but others might think differently.

I've played a few Blackguard and Whiteguard teles (before deciding I didn't actually need one) and I would say that despite them being in the 'fat tele neck' era they are nowhere near as fat as the CS make them out to be. Yes they're fat, but they're very playable and comfortable - and that again comes down to the neck shoulder.

I think Gibson do the same, public perception is that certain years have to have a tree trunk for a neck - yes they were large, but not that large

• DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3295
    tFB Trader
    peteri said:

I think Gibson do the same, public perception is that certain years have to have a tree trunk for a neck - yes they were large, but not that large

This is exactly my take on modern vs vintage gibsons I've played, i love the old neck profiles

I have only played a vintage 52 tele and 62 strat and my immediate feeling is they felt very close to gibsons but maybe a bit shallower in depth, it's why i liked them 
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)