Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

I've just dropped to eights on a Strat....

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• markr76markr76 Frets: 360
    I've just moved back up to 11's on my strat. Bought some curt mangan strings as their stand was opposite Thorpys stand at Kempton park guitar show. Where I was helping out. The curt mangan strings feel more slinky than my old strings. More like a set of 10's or 10.5's. They feel really silky too. I'm impressed by them.
    Funnily though I prefer a set of 10 to 52 on my R8 even though it has a shorter scale.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3590
    Back when I was a young buck gigging the air bases, 4 x one hour sets was the norm. We discoverred that a well set up guitar with low frets and light (9s) was the secret to being able to play freebird yet again at the end of the night. Modern players who sit in thier bedroom will huge frets and fat strings are a whole other world. I used to believe the hype that Brian Setzer used 13s and a high action, nope just 10s it seems. Why make it hard work? A light touch and a well setup guitar that you can still dig into is the best for my application. YMMV.
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30925
    I'm gay and even I use 10's. Pfft.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Me old eyes could barely see them to put em on. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    9 and a 1/2 would be preferable for me but I just go the lighter side of 10s. Also - notice how strings get less pliable as they age? Keep 'em fresh!
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

seriously though, I’ve heard a lot of pro’s have moved down a gauge or so. It’s probably much better at preventing arthritis further down the line, plus who doesn’t want a lighter touch? Lowest I’ve played are 9’s back when I started thinking they would be easier. My teacher passed comment about them
    being too light and since then always been on 10’s or 11’s depending on scale length. Starting to realise this is all BS and might see what a drop
    down does for me, as I notice my touch is a bit strong, especially when playing non-vintage frets. 
  • It's not about "who doesn't want a lighter touch". I don't. I like to really give the strings some welly and I like them to fight back. If I had anything lighter than the 11s I use on all my standard tuning guitars I'd be busting strings several times a night and bending sharp every time.

I don't want to get used to anything lighter because 11s are what I'm used to.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I used 8s for a long time back in the day on a "fretless wonder" Les Paul Custom before I realised that the low frets were making bending harder.

I've since moved to bigger fretwire and 9s but am firmly of the opinion that claims that light strings will adversely affect your tone are 99% hooey.

“To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom