Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Songs you wish you'd written...

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33798
    edited November 2018

So ignoring financial motivations, ie don't pick a Christmas song for the royalties etc. What song or songs do you wish you'd written? It what are closest to what you'd like to achieve? And why?

'White Christmas' by Bing Crosby has sold in excess of 50 million copies... so that would do.

(I'm a rebel).
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22860

Ace of Spades - Motorhead

Don't Believe a Word - Thin Lizzy

I'm not a massive fan of either band, but those two songs always strike me as great examples of punchy little rock songs which say exactly what they need to say and don't outstay their welcome.

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22860
    edited November 2018

Thought I Knew You - Matthew Sweet

Don't really know what to say about it, it's just perfect.

• westwest Frets: 996

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonic said:

So ignoring financial motivations, ie don't pick a Christmas song for the royalties etc. What song or songs do you wish you'd written? It what are closest to what you'd like to achieve? And why?

'White Christmas' by Bing Crosby has sold in excess of 50 million copies... so that would do.

(I'm a rebel).
    Written by a Russian jew Irving Berlin; I quite like that one of the world's favourite christmas songs was written by someone who didn't really celebrate it ( although after a few million record sales perhaps he started!).  

White Christmas as featured in the film ... Holiday Inn, the success of the song lead to the film White Christmas some 12 years later. According to wikipedia the version we normally hear is from neither but a 1947 re-recording. Still in Berlin's copyright in the UK for another 39 years, I think, if anyone was thinking of marrying one of Berlin's descendants.    
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8189
    Paranoid Android - Radiohead.
    Spellbindingly brilliant.
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Sparklehorse  Apple bed......RIP Mark Linkous

If you can read this then my time machine works.

My feedback thread is here.

http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57602/

• fobfob Frets: 1430
    First one that jumped to mind was Amazing Grace - it's stood the test of time and can be powerful as an a cappella or full over-the-top orchestration. Ironically, written by a slave-trader.

Contenders: