My guitar wont stay in tune.

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5452
    With Bigsbys and guitars that are susceptible to going out of tune, if you give the bar a little tug after using it it will return strings to pitch where sometimes they don't fully. Just get used to it as part of your technique and it could help, but s
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3409
    edited November 2018
    This place is painful sometimes.

OP hasn't got round to putting new strings on it yet and he's being told to buy new parts for the trem, a new nut, and new tuners. 

First thing to do @Kerplunk is to put new strings on it. String it properly (watch the videos above) and make sure you stretch them in. New strings will go out of tune a little bit at first but they should soon stabilise.

If new strings doesn't fix it then you can begin to think about whether it needs a setup or whether more drastic measures are needed. Don't go throwing money at it without trying the simple things first. 
    Well said. Think this place is bad? You should try The Gear Page!
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7580
    In this order:

1. Proper stringing
    2. Proper string-stretching
    3. Nut 
    4. Other obscure stuff

is usually how tuning stability problems pan out. Although it can be hard to admit that your stringing technique isn't solid
    Red ones are better. 
  • Iv'e ordered thease for my Gretsch https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wilkinson-WJ-45-3-a-side-Vintage-Double-Line-Machine-Heads-Tuners-in-3-colours/202123019958?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&var=502115670425&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649 ,also made a 5mm thick aluminum plate cut to shape for under the bigsby.I'll post some pictures up,when i figure out how to.