Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Most Underrated Albums

What's Hot
123457»

Comments

• King85King85 Frets: 631
    edited November 2018
    Whilst not guitar related the album A Badly Broken Code by Dessa is one of the best albums i've ever heard with this being the jewel in the crown.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11297
    Maid in Heaven!

I saw this a few months ago on one of those Guitar Stars at the BBC programmes. I don't think I'd heard it since it was released, and it's improved with age (unlike me).

This is one of the great things about music - revisiting stuff from your past. And I think the revisiting is better when it's accidental, when you come across stuff by accident.
  • FezFez Frets: 522
    There are so many but I will go with Still Alive & Well by Johnny Winter.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ms9CXZuKj-U&list=OLAK5uy_l-YM4dcWeGRudi6Mulqr04FpeFx0OJqgo

Don't touch that dial.
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5167
    edited November 2018
    If we’re talking underrated albums, I’ll go for the free U2 one that popped up on everyone’s iTunes account... I haven’t bought a U2 Album since Zooropa but their free one is definitely a grower....even though it got a bit slated.... :)
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7143
    God Machine - Scenes From The Second Storey

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • shugz said:
    Good call on the Pretty Things. SF Sorrow a great, if maybe 'of its time', piece. Great band. 

Others:

The Zombies - odessey and Oracle
    22-20s 
    Little Barrie - king of the waves 
    Ride - Carnival of Light (hated by the fans and even the band at the time but I like it. Jon Lord's even on it!)

Cheers
    Hugh
    I own everything the 22-20s did but I'd argue it never got better than their first live EP. Even by their own admission the album included tracks that didn't cut the mustard. It was part of the reason they split up. Awful version of Devil in Me made it to the album, IMO.
  • simonhpiemansimonhpieman Frets: 683
    edited November 2018
    GOMEZ - LIQUID SKIN

Gomez won the mercury music prize for their debut Bring It On - a pretty much all round banging record.

Their follow up the following year was more expansive, more experimental and had some songs equal and several better than those on Bring It On. It probably had 1, maybe 2 duffers of the 11 too which might have contributed to its relative lack of acclaim (though it was Brit nominated, if I recall correctly).

Despite charting at number 2 it feels very much like it has lived in the shadow of its predecessor. Personally, it's my favourite Gomez album and the singles off it have some of the best B-sides.

This was their last album before their wanton experimentation ironically ended up with them making the rather dull In Our Gun. Then they disappeared into some fairly middle of the road American bore-rock and lost almost everything that had seen them much such a splash early on.

Devil Will Ride is still one of my favourite ever tunes.

CLEARLAKE - LIDO

Saw them on Jools Holland and was mesmerised.

Reverb on everything before reverb on everything was everywhere. Super-English and also big fans of Neil Young, though this influence only flashes through in very brief passages - the album itself has a folky, atmospheric, dreamy thing all of its own.

No idea how they weren't massive.

• shugzshugz Frets: 768
    edited November 2018

I fully agree re 22-20s. Have some old live bootlegs as well that should have been on the album even as is. I said them really as I feel they are/ were completely forgotten about. 

Maybe the modern Humble Pie....should have been 'so' big but lady luck (or bad advice or a mix of both) maybe did for them like many others. 

H

www.proudhoney.com

• Got Messed Up - CHOON! Not even on the album.
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16099
    Silk Degrees ......Boz Scaggs
  • Good shout on the 22-20s forgot all about them. 
    I’m off to stick their stuff on my iTunes 
  • MagicPigDetectiveMagicPigDetective Frets: 3027
    edited November 2018
    Here’s a few.....

Adorable - Against Perfection 
    Tad - Infra Red Riding Hood
    Lush - Split
    Madder Rose - Bring it Down
    Sugar - File under easy listening. Overshadowed by Copper Blue but still great album. 
    Babes in Toyland - Fontanelle. Strangely missing from apple music.
    Curve - Doppleganger. Should have been huge, then Garbage took the formula and were, huge. 
    Eugenius - Oomalama
    Rollins Band - Weight
    Ffa Coffi Pawb - Hei Vidal. Gruff pre super furry animals, and indie glam rock classic.

• prowlaprowla Frets: 4924
    GOMEZ - LIQUID SKIN

Gomez won the mercury music prize for their debut Bring It On - a pretty much all round banging record.

Their follow up the following year was more expansive, more experimental and had some songs equal and several better than those on Bring It On. It probably had 1, maybe 2 duffers of the 11 too which might have contributed to its relative lack of acclaim (though it was Brit nominated, if I recall correctly).

Despite charting at number 2 it feels very much like it has lived in the shadow of its predecessor. Personally, it's my favourite Gomez album and the singles off it have some of the best B-sides.

This was their last album before their wanton experimentation ironically ended up with them making the rather dull In Our Gun. Then they disappeared into some fairly middle of the road American bore-rock and lost almost everything that had seen them much such a splash early on.

Devil Will Ride is still one of my favourite ever tunes.

I saw them supporting Pearl Jam - they were better than Pearl Jam!
  • Here’s a few.....

Adorable - Against Perfection 
    Tad - Infra Red Riding Hood
    Lush - Split
    Madder Rose - Bring it Down
    Sugar - File under easy listening. Overshadowed by Copper Blue but still great album. 
    Babes in Toyland - Fontanelle. Strangely missing from apple music.
    Curve - Doppleganger. Should have been huge, then Garbage took the formula and were, huge. 
    Eugenius - Oomalama
    Rollins Band - Weight
    Ffa Coffi Pawb - Hei Vidal. Gruff pre super furry animals, and indie glam rock classic.

Oh yes indeed - Madder Rose! I thought they were going to be massive after the second album Bring It On. 

• 0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Anyone remember The Plain Jayn? 

• ArjailerArjailer Frets: 103
    stonevibe said:
    God Machine - Scenes From The Second Storey

Oh wow!  I had completely forgotten about that album!  I (vaguely) remember really liking it - I'll need to listen to it tomorrow 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom