Opinions on this Es345 fretboard please

What's Hot
peteripeteri Frets: 1284
edited November 2018 in Guitar

Is it me or does the grain pattern on this early 60s 345 fretboard look wrong and actually seem to match more the dust in the cavity?

https://i.imgur.com/KVjTVFI.jpg

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14670
    tFB Trader
    would like to see more - I see what you mean - looks more scruffy than anything actually wrong - Can you show first 3-5 frets at the other end - maybe not as dark as I've seen before, but might need some lemon oil

• peteripeteri Frets: 1284
    edited November 2018
  • Looks like it needs a damn good clean to me
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    tFB Trader
    peteri said:
    almost looks a different colour - must be some  aspect of light and angle of pic - Looks far more 'dark chocolate' colour - Don't see anything wrong, but can you see a lot of QC issues on the inlays etc, which is normal - Looks more like it needs a good clean and lemon oil to 'refresh'
    Thanks Mark, that's good to know - I've asked the seller for another picture, which hopefully means he'll hoover up first :)
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16914
    looks to me like chips have been filled with rosewood dust and glue right by that end bit of binding
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    WezV said:
    looks to me like chips have been filled with rosewood dust and glue right by that end bit of binding

Good spot!

I wonder if the fretboard has been off tbh

• If you’re in the market for a 60’s 345 Richard Henry has just listed a 64 at a pretty good price, not sure if it has any issues..
  • And yes, I second the ‘filled chips’ theory on this one. Nothing wrong with that if that’s the only issue I guess. 
    tFB Trader
    peteri said:
    Thanks Mark, that's good to know - I've asked the seller for another picture, which hopefully means he'll hoover up first :)
    send me an e-mail (  mark@guitars4you.co.uk   ) - I've recently acquired a 'restored players grade' ES345 from 1961 - So I can show you some pics of that - Steve Robinson restored it for me - We needed to 'repair' some finger nail repair/wear
  • Would chips have occurred when it was refretted?
    tFB Trader
    peteri said:
    looking at that again - It might be just a reflection of the light - look between T and E on the Stereo truss rod cover and then 'run a line' below the low E tuner - has it had a break as it looks like a crease on the truss rod cover and facia - As I said it might just be light/reflection