Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

I think I've got this small amps thing all wrong -maybe there isn't an amp that does home AND gigs!!

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72339
    edited November 2018
    Shrews said:
    A question I've not seen answered is 'longevity' i.e reliability over time. Are some amps more reliable than others in that they continue to perform at the same level for years?

No point in having an amp built for home practice and gigging, if you hardly take it out gigging within its expected lifespan.  That seems logical to me, unless amps are generally reliable for years. 
    Amps are generally reliable for years, or even decades. The only things that normally wear out are valves, and the only things that really degrade simply over time are electrolytic caps, and to a smaller extent paper-in-oil caps and carbon-comp resistors - but that's decades rather than years.

A few weeks ago I serviced a 1953 Fender Champ, and it was running fine - it didn't have all its original valves, but it's possible at least one of them was. It didn't even need the caps changing, which is unusual at that age but not unheard of if it's been used regularly, which keeps them in better condition than not doing.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ShrewsShrews Frets: 3008
    ICBM said:
    Shrews said:
    A question I've not seen answered is 'longevity' i.e reliability over time. Are some amps more reliable than others in that they continue to perform at the same level for years?

No point in having an amp built for home practice and gigging, if you hardly take it out gigging within its expected lifespan.  That seems logical to me, unless amps are generally reliable for years. 
    Amps are generally reliable for years, or even decades. The only things that normally wear out are valves, and the only things that really degrade simply over time are electrolytic caps, and to a smaller extent paper-in-oil caps and carbon-comp resistors - but that's decades rather than years.

A few weeks ago I serviced a 1953 Fender Champ, and it was running fine - it didn't have all its original valves, but it's possible at least one of them was. It didn't even need the caps changing, which is unusual at that age but not unheard of if it's been used regularly, which keeps them in better condition than not doing.
    Ok fair enough, but I've heard a lot of talk on here about amps 'blowing up' and whilst I don't think this means a puff of smoke scenario (!), I was thinking this was either down to misuse of reliability and hence the question.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72339
    Shrews said:

Ok fair enough, but I've heard a lot of talk on here about amps 'blowing up' and whilst I don't think this means a puff of smoke scenario (!), I was thinking this was either down to misuse of reliability and hence the question.
    Amps can certainly 'blow up' - including with a puff of smoke - but it's down to design flaws or random component (usually valve) failures and not long-term reliability issues usually. There will be a few where something that should have been changed - almost certainly an electrolytic cap - fails, but it's fairly rare.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Depends exactly what you need the home amp to do. I’ve a Blackstar Fly that covers my practice needs at home. Does it sound like a boutique rig at full tilt, played by Eric Johnson? Nope.
    Does it make a half decent noise so I can get up to speed with the latest tunes I’m learning for the band? Yup.
  • Quilter.
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1633
    Re reliability, as ICBM says, other than valves electronic components have an extremely long life and the only reason valves fail these days is because thery are largely ***t.  It therefore behoves the amp designer to plan for "collateral damage" i.e. when (not if!) a modern valve fails the support circuitry, mainly resistors should be rated highly enough to handle the overload and not go up in smoke.
    Unfortunately such "over-engineering" adds a hidden cost to the designs that punter does not see or appreciate when waving their flexible friend.  As IC  says again, electrolytic caps are far more reliable than people think and modern ones give virtually zero defects.
    Back in the day it was not at all unusual to find a valve radio banging away in a garage or factory, close to its 4W OP stage limit for 20 years running 7am to 6pm 5 days a week.

Dave.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom