Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Global warming - how else can these signs be explained?

What's Hot

Comments

• Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24312
    Climate change is real.  We've caused it.  We're never going to get our shit together to do anything other than slow it down a tiny fraction - forget stopping it or reversing it.  We're all likely going to die (as a species) as a result.  Then only question is when and how many of us.

Anyone who believes this isn't true has jelly and custard between their ears.
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ShrewsShrews Frets: 3009

When the vast majority of scientists are all saying the same thing, then it probably is time for the human race to start taking note.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Emp_Fab said:
    Climate change is real.  We've caused it.  We're never going to get our shit together to do anything other than slow it down a tiny fraction - forget stopping it or reversing it.  We're all likely going to die (as a species) as a result.  Then only question is when and how many of us.

Anyone who believes this isn't true has jelly and custard between their ears.
    Which is why we'll be forced to eat people come Brexit and the food shortages. The denialists will be the first ones to be eaten. 

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601

No, but NASA is an agency of the US Government :o: They presumably are therefore capable of "government lies"?

True. We never went to the Moon.

I'm out!

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Fretwired said:

No, but NASA is an agency of the US Government :o: They presumably are therefore capable of "government lies"?

True. We never went to the Moon.

I'm out!
    It's a good thing it was NASA doing the Moon landing and not a British team. We'd have had major delays and a load of confusing messages before all the astronauts were loaded onto a Moon landing replacement bus and forced to travel to the Sea of Tranquility via Reading, Slough, and Didcot Parkway. 

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72354
    If the British had done the Moon landing, it would have been cancelled in order to save money at the last minute once the astronauts were already in lunar orbit, despite the fact that it would cost more to abort it then than go through with it, even discounting the money already spent.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12366
    We produce roughly 1% of global emissions compared to 55% which come from China, India, Russia and US combined. Us charging 5p for a carrier bag is not going to solve it.  If we stopped our entire use of fossil fuels and plastic would not change it. Unless there is a globally agreed plan nothing is going to change. 

Plus us the countries on the rise developmentally Brazil, Indonesia, Malaysia etcwill be expanding their use of resources. 

I also think while denying man is partly responsible is nuts it’s also true that scientists do not know how much is from man and how much is part of the cycles of the earth. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    Chalky said:
    As a wise man once said "Imagine that we suddenly had concrete undisputed scientific evidence that by stopping all sports, all hobbies, all music, all TV, all alcohol, we could halt global warming.  What would you bet the outcome would be? The wilful abandonment of all those things by everyone? Or the bloodiest war?"

The point is that, whatever the cause, the solution is not going to be achieved by everyone being nice.

We don't want nice. One can deny climate change in the most beautifully polite prose imaginable. What is needed is a reasoned response and a belief in evidence-based analysis. 

The scenario you detail: it's likely we'd have gone over the tipping point if the only way to stop climate change was to erase huge tracts of societal behaviour. 

You miss the point. 

If the situation is at the very bad end of the scientific predictions, then massive changes are required, far in excess of what China, India, USA will tolerate, and far in excess of what ordinary people will tolerate.

As another wise man once said "Be careful what you wish for".
    edited November 2018
    Ask yourself how much you want to save the planet?

Do the half test.  Would you accept everything you consume being rationed so you only got half of what you consume today?

So you and your family would be rationed to half the food you buy today, half the water, half the electricity, half the internet time, half the media (12 hours dead time when no media can be used), half the fuel used by your vehicles, half the buses and trains, and so on, etc.  Would you be ok with that if a politician and scientist swore to you that it would save the planet?
  • Chalky said:

Do the half test.  Would you accept everything you consume being rationed so you only got half of what you consume today?

So you and your family would be rationed to half the food you buy today, half the water, half the electricity, half the internet time, half the media (12 hours dead time when no media can be used), half the fuel used by your vehicles, half the buses and trains, and so on, etc.  Would you be ok with that if a politician and scientist swore to you that it would save the planet?
    A lot? 

Yes?

Yes?

Chalky said:

A lot? 

Yes?

Yes?

Good for you. How many of your family, friends, colleagues, all the people you know, do you estimate would be like you and say Yes?
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31590
    munckee said:
    We produce roughly 1% of global emissions compared to 55% which come from China, India, Russia and US combined.  
    That depends on how you measure it. If you're talking about global emissions immediately in the airspace over this island then maybe, but we're still biggish consumers of products which cause problems elsewhere, like South American beef for example. 

You can't isolate a single country's contribution to the problem any more. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Chalky said:
    Chalky said:

A lot? 

Yes?

Yes?

Good for you. How many of your family, friends, colleagues, all the people you know, do you estimate would be like you and say Yes?
    Clearly not many to the second 2 questions , but then the analogy is not real and the argument seems forced to project a view that there is little you can do as an individual in order to defend a position where you do nothing as no one else will. 

I would reject that view. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Chalky said:

A lot? 

Yes?

Yes?

Would everyone in the devleoped world?
    Chalky said:
    Chalky said:

A lot? 

Yes?

Yes?

Clearly not many to the second 2 questions , but then the analogy is not real and the argument seems forced to project a view that there is little you can do as an individual in order to defend a position where you do nothing as no one else will. 

Reject as in because if everyone says that it’s self defeating or because you believe it’s not true?
  • Littering is a huge issue. Me not littering really makes no neglible difference to the problem. But that doesn’t make me think  I may as well just litter.  I want my kids to understand that littering is not right , even if
    others do it and I can’t easliy change their behaviour. 

I think most non flat earthers would agree with the above. 

Clearly the personal inconvenience  of not littering is small. The personal inconvience of reducing your carbon footprint is much greater. 

I have to fly for work , I have to drive for work. Many do. I cannot easily change these things without large disruption to my life, in a vacuum.  So I continue to do them.

There are however other things I can do in a vacuum
    which may make a difference and  may set an example to my kids and others.  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4173
    One thing I know. People prefer lies and stupidity over truth and facts. Hence Trump and Brexit and climate change deniers. Far better to blame climate change on wasps, or gravy than humans.

Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe. - Frank Zappa
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
    Chalky said:
    Chalky said:

A lot? 

Yes?

Yes?

Of course you would, because it against your idealogical view.  The idea that one person can make a difference is romantic but feasible.  The idea that one person will always make a difference is false.

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    edited November 2018
    Philtre said:
    One thing I know. People prefer lies and stupidity over truth and facts. Hence Trump and Brexit and climate change deniers. Far better to blame climate change on wasps, or gravy than humans.

Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe. - Frank Zappa
    I don't buy that - as usual a simplistic soundbite. People are complicated. Trump and Brexit are linked -  a large group of voters who felt disenfranchised and marginalised by the ruling elite. And most politicians can be accused of lying as they rarely implement, or do what they promise.

When it comes to climate change people have a right to be cynical - for example the government encouraged everyone to buy diesel cars. The government then does a U-turn and demonises them  with higher taxes and bans from town centres. The value of second hand diesel cars has fallen and car companies like Jaguar and BMW are in trouble with falling sales - people are angry. We now about to have a major push on cutting meat consumption - good idea. The government is now having a consultation on .. wait for it .. a meat tax. People will see this as merely an opportunity to get more revenue rather than a real attempt to control climate change.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Littering is a huge issue. Me not littering really makes no neglible difference to the problem. But that doesn’t make me think  I may as well just litter.  I want my kids to understand that littering is not right , even if
    others do it and I can’t easliy change their behaviour. 

I think most non flat earthers would agree with the above. 

Clearly the personal inconvenience  of not littering is small. The personal inconvience of reducing your carbon footprint is much greater. 

I have to fly for work , I have to drive for work. Many do. I cannot easily change these things without large disruption to my life, in a vacuum.  So I continue to do them.

There are however other things I can do in a vacuum
    which may make a difference and  may set an example to my kids and others.  

But that is exactly the problem. If you want to meet the objectives of reducing carbon footprint to the point of reversing climate change, then the argument "I have to for work" is not sufficient.