GASaholics (not-quite) Anonymous

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• DrBobDrBob Frets: 3006

A_T_W said:
    If you don't need any of those Staytrem JM bridges I'd be happy to consider taking one off your paws @Jooky ... but then again knowing you maybe you really do need that many offset goodies! :P
    See, you're making the fatal error of assuming that he's using them to make guitars... It's only when the news reports of the giant robot trampling over Gordano services starts to leak out that you'll realise..
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • A_T_WA_T_W Frets: 66
    edited April 2014
    DrBob said:

A_T_W said:
    If you don't need any of those Staytrem JM bridges I'd be happy to consider taking one off your paws @Jooky ... but then again knowing you maybe you really do need that many offset goodies! :P
    See, you're making the fatal error of assuming that he's using them to make guitars... It's only when the news reports of the giant robot trampling over Gordano services starts to leak out that you'll realise..
    Oh god I hadn't even considered that. To be fair though, there's worse ways to die than by the hand of a giant, rusted, paisley-coated cyberman :P
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JookyChapJookyChap Frets: 4234
    A_T_W said:
    DrBob said:

A_T_W said:
    Oh god I hadn't even considered that. To be fair though, there's worse ways to die than by the hand of a giant, rusted, paisley-coated cyberman :P
    Some of my best friends are giant, rusted, paisley-coated cybermen..

• usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    And..?
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2168
    I'm a lot better than I used to be with guitar pedals. I would love to collect more pedals, but it's then balancing what I'd actually use.
    Now guitars......I could survive with just the SG. I'm sure we've all heard "Why do have soo many, you can only play one at a time yadda yadda?". Part of it is an emotive thing, part of it is inspiration from different sounds. At the moment I have 2 Acoustics, 3 Electrics (soon to be 4), 2 amps, 5-6 pedals and a uke. One of the reasons I got a PRS DGT was to have a guitar with a decent single coil sound. Feeling that I could never bond with a Strat.
    But within a couple of weeks, the strat partsocaster will be alive!

I've never tried a guitar with a bigsby, P90 or filtertron pickups on. I'm half tempted to try a squier carbonita, or possibly build one. But need to try one out first.
    I wouldn't mind a decent two channel head, been thinking about a tubemeister. Again need to try one out.

My trouble is the question of boutique or bargain. After being blown away by a wampler pedal from years of using  stale Boss pedals. I was somewhat seduced by highend pedals. Tried a few and they all sounded great (Fulltone, Xotic, Carl Martin and more wampler pedals). I then picked up a Danelectro coolcat 18v Chorus for £10, and that sounds great!
    Same thing with guitars, fingers crossed this partsocaster will sound pretty decent. I think total cost is just over £400
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • NiallmoNiallmo Frets: 467
    Having GASsed spectacularly, the second phase now begins. MODDING! I've ordered a red Tortie 'plate for the Squier Tom Delonge. I want the Rose wood Tele to have a strat middle pickup and have ordered a Nashville Tele 'plate. The Pacifica that I also recently acquired has a SSS 'plate on the way too. If the HB 335 is any good it'll be getting upgraded pick-ups too.
  • I'm in this club. I've not done much in the way of gigging in a while - only 2 gigs in the past year. The joys of parenthood :) but I've nonetheless been buying, selling and making (well screwing together at least) For me I guess it's a bit of what others have said above. I don't really buy anything I'm gonna lose much money on in resale - and if I do lose a few quid well I just psychologically deem it a rental charge. I don't really feel to comfortable in most guitar shops spending hours trying things out, so buying one second hand knowing I can flip it at little expense if I don't like it is a perfect way to try things out. There's also a bit of "thrill of the chase" in it for sure too :) I've now got 2 partscasters in the collection, both of which appear to be "keepers", though it's amazing how quickly a keeper becomes a seller! The irony is, this thread has got me thinking about all the guitars I've yet to own and play, especially: - explorer - es335 / 345 / 355 - white falcon - a nice 000 size acoustic - a prs of some description Thanks OP for the inspiration ;)
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4140
    Niallmo;217826" said:
    Having GASsed spectacularly, the best phase now begins. 

MODDING!
    Edited for accuracy ;)
  • kelvinburnkelvinburn Frets: 156
    @Niallmo I live on the S Yorks border if you ever need to stash any away from the missus. ;)
  • PyromanPyroman Frets: 58

Another GASaholic here.

I have:

10 electric guitars

3 basses

3 guitar amps

2 bass amps

God only knows how many pedals.

Last time I was home, I went to a local music store for a hard case, and left with a guitar. It wasn't used, or a can't miss deal- I just played it and loved it.  ( the sales guy from the store even sent me a personal thank you note!)

Currently, I'm GASsing for a Fender Blues Deluxe, and a Full Tone '69 fuzz.  I don't gig, can't really play worth a damn, but I LOVE the way I sound plugged into those two items.  What can I say- that amp is a real corker, and it gets the sound in my head with pretty much no effort. 

• usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    kelvinburn;218057" said:
    @Niallmo I live on the S Yorks border if you ever need to stash any away from the missus. ;)
    I'm nearer!
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6393
    Today I are mostly GASsing for a plain Korina DGT
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • ForgeForge Frets: 431

The curse of GAS...

Madly GAssing for a Gold Top R7 which I cannot explain...I do not like gold as a colour and I have a LP I am perfectly happy with.

• underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    Forge;218278" said:
    The curse of GAS...Madly GAssing for a Gold Top R7 which I cannot explain...I do not like gold as a colour and I have a LP I am perfectly happy with.
    Gold is the best looking Les Paul colour in my opinion.

• dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    edited April 2014
    I'm in. Guitar and Amp gas has been pretty well under control for the last year or so, but I have a big problem with pedals - love trying out the little blighters. Problem is I've developed expensive tastes over the years so it's getting increasingly expensive to fund. Good gun though.