AND function in the search

What's Hot

I think I'm probably missing something that's right in front of my nose but is there an AND operator that can be used in a search? i.e. all search terms are present.

There seems to be a NOT and an OR (and others) but I've tried + and AND to no avail; they just double the number of returned hits.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I don't think so. I just use google:

site:thefretboard.co.uk "Gibson" AND "Goldtop" 

..or whatever
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • There is. Click the "Adv Search" to get this:

http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/search?Search=test&tar=srch

Where it says "Phrase Match", choose "All" from the dropdown. Admittedly it's not too intuitive, but that's Vanilla for you.
    <space for hire>

..or whatever
    This, by far easier and more accurate than using the site's own search function. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 

..or whatever
    This, by far easier and more accurate than using the site's own search function. 
    What you can't do with Google is sorting or limiting the search to a specific set of categories (eg if you just want to search the classifieds), which our search function can do.
    <space for hire>

..or whatever
    What you can't do with Google is sorting or limiting the search to a specific set of categories (eg if you just want to search the classifieds), which our search function can do.
    Ahh, not sure I've ever tried. Maybe I'll try it this weekend when I'm trying to find which of the 27 Dr Who Discussions is the current one...
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72844

Where it says "Phrase Match", choose "All" from the dropdown. Admittedly it's not too intuitive, but that's Vanilla for you.
    It does seem stupid that this isn't the default option, given that probably 99% of the time you're searching on a combination of words it's because you want to find that *combination* of words... not one or the other of them.

I don't think I've ever done a search where I wanted an 'or' result, on any forum or website.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein