Company in Admin - Debit Card Purchase

What's Hot
Lady Bristol’s wedding dress supplier has gone into administration today, so 9 weeks before our wedding she has no dress and we have lost £1,000  :p

I think I know the answer to this but do I have any chance whatsoever of getting this money back via my bank or VISA given that it was a debit card and not a credit card?

A sucky situation all round, but getting the money back would soften the blow a little. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Probably not from the bank but find out who the administrator is and call them. They will have an idea of what assets are available and what creditors will get back if anything. 

I play guitar and take photos of stuff. I also like beans on toast.

• Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24387
    I'm no expert but ever since watching this video  from 43m15s on, I buy everything on a credit card and pay it off each month.

I don't think your chances are high my friend.
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter
    I'm personally responsible for all global warming
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I believe Visa debit offers the same protection as their credit does. Have faith.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28502
    And if the administrator doesn't help, get onto the bank. Nicely. This looks like the sort of situation where asking nicely gets things done. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • BRISTOL86BRISTOL86 Frets: 1920
    Thanks folks. Already been in touch with administrators and looking highly unlikely we will get the dress. 

Will get onto the bank tomorrow and hope for the best. 
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11800
    Good luck mate.

Hope your other half is OK as well.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    Thanks mate. She’s understandably upset to say the least but is handling it like a champ. 
  • ShrewsShrews Frets: 3034
    To salvage something out of this, it may be possible to find out what is happening to the dress i.e it might go to auction and you might be able to pick it up for £500 or so.  If you don't get your money back, then at least your wife-to-be has the dress she wants, you've just paid a bit more for it and perhaps you can cut back on other things to afford it.

The administrator might also be open to an offer?
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28502
    Shrews said:

This. I once bought a radio station from an administrator. Saved everyone a lot of hassle. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Sporky said:
    I once bought a radio station from an administrator. Saved everyone a lot of hassle. 
    Glad they gave you a good reception....
    14reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12387
    Presumably the dress is custom fitted for your Mrs-to-be? If so it’s unlikely to be worth much to anyone else. Probably worth a word with the administrators to see if you can get it released.

Unlikely I guess, but do any of your household insurance policies cover these circumstances? Have you got legal cover included? You might get some better advice there. 
    Shrews said:
    To salvage something out of this, it may be possible to find out what is happening to the dress i.e it might go to auction and you might be able to pick it up for £500 or so.  If you don't get your money back, then at least your wife-to-be has the dress she wants, you've just paid a bit more for it and perhaps you can cut back on other things to afford it.

The administrators have taken inventory of the completed dresses in the stores and HQ, we’re not amongst those whose have been made/supplied. The dress either doesn’t exist or is with a supplier who’s presumably not been paid for some time. Most likely we won’t ever even know. 
  • BRISTOL86 said:
    Shrews said:

The administrators have taken inventory of the completed dresses in the stores and HQ, we’re not amongst those whose have been made/supplied. The dress either doesn’t exist or is with a supplier who’s presumably not been paid for some time. Most likely we won’t ever even know. 
    Bugger! That rules out this option...

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/people-are-backing-this-darlington-woman-in-her-feud-with-house-of-fraser_uk_5b9380afe4b0162f472d5d16

Hope you get somewhere but it seems unlikely  :( 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
  • 100% charge back available. 
  • siremoonsiremoon Frets: 1524
    I believe Visa debit offers the same protection as their credit does. Have faith.
    It's not the same - there are different eligibility criteria and a different process.  For a debit card, the card issuer will attempt to recover the money via chargeback from the bank of the defaulting party.  That may or may not be successful.  With a credit card the card issuer itself is jointly liable so they pay the money back directly.  
    “He is like a man with a fork in a world of soup.” - Noel Gallagher
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    siremoon said:
    I believe Visa debit offers the same protection as their credit does. Have faith.
    It's not the same - there are different eligibility criteria and a different process.  For a debit card, the card issuer will attempt to recover the money via chargeback from the bank of the defaulting party.  That may or may not be successful.  With a credit card the card issuer itself is jointly liable so they pay the money back directly.  
    Exactly.  A L W A Y S pay by credit card.
  • gubblegubble Frets: 1746
    The dress will sadly not be available from the company you purchased it with.

Did you take out wedding insurance?
  • FreddieVanHalenFreddieVanHalen Frets: 954
    edited November 2018
    I can’t add anything to what’s already been posted other than my sympathy that you both have to put up with this ahead of your wedding day.

Hope you get something sorted and that it doesn’t cause too much bother.
    Link to my trading feedback: http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58787/
  • Your bank can do a charge back. As long as you've got sufficient evidence to show you won't get the goods you'll be fine. The money will come from the acquiring bank, doesn't matter if the company are skint.