Strap recommendations?

What's Hot
I'm hunting for a new guitar strap to suggest to my parents as a possible Christmas present.  I greatly prefer the type where the pad is free to move along the strap (so the pad sits still on your shoulder, even as the guitar changes position) - something like the Levy PM22 or the Gibson Modern Vintage.  But I'd prefer something wider than those, and possibly more padded.  Any ideas?  Preferably leather or suede, and preferably in the region of £30-ish...
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Guitar_SlingerGuitar_Slinger Frets: 1489
    edited November 2018
    As the link above shows, good luck finding what you want for £30 @JamieWakeham. I mean that in a nice way, after spending years looking around guitar shows for a similar to the two you mention.

I had no luckk...  They were either too wide, not wide enough, too fussy or didn't have a shoulder pad.

I eventually went for a Heistercamp one (click my icon to see some of it). I wanted a thin one, but I'm sure they make wider ones.
  • Being handmade, Heistercamp can make whatever you want, though it'll cost somewhat more than £30. In the end it'll be worth it. The one, that I have, is the most comfortable strap I've ever bought.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • KKJaleKKJale Frets: 982
  • Guitar_SlingerGuitar_Slinger Frets: 1489
    edited November 2018
    If £60 isn't something your parents wouldn't go for, something like this. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Fender-Super-Deluxe-Vintage-Guitar/dp/B0002KZDLE

I bought one like this years ago and still use it BUT these days companies get stuff made abroad with lesser quality materials (Sports Direct as an example) so the Fender strap in the link might not be the same quality as the one I bought 20 years ago.
  • +1 for Heistercamp, just had 2 delivered, I chose the non-padded ones but the range is awesome and the quality is fantastic.
  • Thanks, all. My family has an unspoken rule that gift suggestions shouldn't be more than about £30, so as much as I'd like a Heistercamp or similar, that's out of reach. I could just buy it for myself... but the object of this exercise is to find up with something (anything!) to suggest to parents and siblings!

I wonder if I ought to try fitting one of those Planet Wave gel pads to, say, a nice Hypnotic strap? 

Edit - actually, the Hypnotic 'shoulder' looks like it might do the job nicely. Hurrah!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5382
    Can you not ask for a joint present?  As in, multiple sibs/parents chip in for the same thing, not one of them buying you £30 worth of hash.

I used a gel 'wrap around' thing for a while on a standard strap, but in the end decided it was more aggro than it was worth. YMMV.
  • SNAKEBITESNAKEBITE Frets: 1075

In life I have learnt the hard way many times, buy cheap buy twice.

However saying that, if you can't find a strap for £30 you would be unlucky.

(I am in the same dilemma actually, I have no idea what I want, or rather need for Xmas and when pushed by the other half all I can think of is a guitar strap, the Heistercamp one is a little steep so I'm eeerring towards a Levy padded strap at £37).

• HHwarnerHHwarner Frets: 137
    Hypnotic Straps are absolutely superb for the price. Great Value. Iv gigged regularly for the last 6 years with mine and its still like new.
    http://www.hypnoticstraps.com/padded-straps-c-13.html

• Simon_MSimon_M Frets: 542
    Snags said:
    £30 worth of hash.
    I would LOVE £30 worth of hash for Christmas.  ;)
  • Just say what you want, and if it blows their budget they are welcome to make a contribution towards it.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • +1 for Pinegrove - beautiful straps and lovely people
  • Hi, I'd like to recommend Heistercamp.   Over the last couple of years I've bought three Stannon Tor straps. They're usually mail order and make them up to how you want.  I've bought 4" ones for both of my Les Pauls and my 335.   The quality is great and the 4" width enables me to play these relatively heavy guitars where previously I struggled with other narrower straps.  I like the fact the strap narrows down where it connects to the guitar button so it doesn't get in the way.  My first one has a swade backing, however I chose plain leather for the other two as I prefer them to flow over clothing.  They're not the cheapest strap but the quality is superb and I wouldn't have bought the other two if they weren't worth it.  I requested my last one as a Christmas pressie from my other half.   https://www.heistercamp.co.uk/product/stannon-tor-leather-guitar-strap/

• ShrewsShrews Frets: 3012
    HHwarner said:
    Hypnotic Straps are absolutely superb for the price. Great Value. Iv gigged regularly for the last 6 years with mine and its still like new.

Love those, but from what I can see the only payment option other than Bank transfer is PayPal and I've cancelled that account after a bad experience a few years back.
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    Shrews said:
    HHwarner said:

Love those, but from what I can see the only payment option other than Bank transfer is PayPal and I've cancelled that account after a bad experience a few years back.
    I'm pretty sure the paypal option should let you pay by card and they just handle the payment rather than needing an account.
  • 0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I'll be genuinely amazed if I ever find a strap I like more than my Neotech Mega Bass Straps. 

Stupid name, great straps. And despite the name, more than suitable for guitar. 
  • ShrewsShrews Frets: 3012
    John_P said:
    Shrews said:
    HHwarner said:

I'm pretty sure the paypal option should let you pay by card and they just handle the payment rather than needing an account.
    Thanks for that.  I've processed the order by using the non-account method.  They perhaps need to make that clear because if you hadn't pointed it out I'd have looked elsewhere and there could well be more out there like me!

Anyway, I bought this beast! 

http://www.hypnoticstraps.com/airscrew-black-p-78.html

• TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7431
    Zoolooter said:
    because your eyes had been damaged by them? 
    Red ones are better.