Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

The Paul's Guitar

What's Hot

Comments

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11452
    I recently got a Custom 24 and it's perfect in every way!
    It's got 2 frets too many.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    That sounds great. I really like the look of the bespoke shape pickups too.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5760
    I can see the use of a guitar that can be many things but I’d rather have that covered by a pair of guitars that excel in their own arena personally.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchman said:
    Disagree. But I love how people wis that, thinking that there's a right guitar and a wrong guitar. 24 frets is right for my particular needs, thanks!
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • darcymdarcym Frets: 1297
    so pleased this is coming back, this is a REALLY good guitar, I've been looking for a fair priced used one from the original run for an age, but now the second run is happening I'll be sure to pick one up.
  • crunchman said:
    Disagree. But I love how people wis that, thinking that there's a right guitar and a wrong guitar. 24 frets is right for my particular needs, thanks!
    I've done most of my playing on 24 frets. I really don't get the problem. Seems to be another case of guitarists stuck in the 60s
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • These comments are made in jest, I get that. Its all good. But it does raise an interesting thought...last year, I asked a question about how my Custom 24 didn't sound quite right and everyone said it was down to the 24 frets and that Custom 22s are "better" guitars. In my naivety, I sold it and regretted it.

The issue was never those extra frets, it was the pickup change and my misunderstanding of the tone, I get that now, especially now I've bought another one with the right pickups in it. But, nevertheless, I listened to internet wisdom and wish I hadn't.

Be nice if we qualified statements like that though, @crunchman what is it you don't like about 24 frets guitars, fella?
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • teradaterada Frets: 5113
    ...internet wisdom...
    I believe that to be an oxymoron ;) 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • timhuliotimhulio Frets: 1286
    tFB Trader
    Ah, I was hoping this thread was gonna be about this guitar.

Image may contain 1 person
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TwinfanTwinfan Frets: 1625
    edited November 2018
    Bigsby said:
    Nothing wrong with that - I'm not a fan of PRS, but I found that interesting, and I did like the tonal range here. Oh, and the guy did describe them as 'new' brushstroke bird inlays... even if they're not.
    They're not completely new, but the 12th fret inlay is now smaller and doesn't spread into the 11th and 13th fret areas.

In fact, I think all inlays are smaller so they maybe are new.
  • Twinfan said:
    Bigsby said:
    Nothing wrong with that - I'm not a fan of PRS, but I found that interesting, and I did like the tonal range here. Oh, and the guy did describe them as 'new' brushstroke bird inlays... even if they're not.
    They're not completely new, but the 12th fret inlay is now smaller and doesn't spread into the 11th and 13th fret areas.

In fact, I think all inlays are smaller so they maybe are new.
    They're listed in the spec and mentioned in the video as being "new" smaller brush birds. 

• I like the single coil sounds etc. Wouldn't be keen on not being able to swap out pickups for other types but then again I tend not to do that offen ;) Very nice :)
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • don't they look awful once you scrape the glossy finish though? I'm clumsy and reckon I'd ruin mine in under a month.
  • PRS are my favourite guitars. The wide fat/pattern suits me perfectly. They look great (although some awful) and sound and play how I like. 

People talk about ‘mojo’, etc. as though they sound sterile, which I totally disagree with. The McCarty I’m selling is classic vintage, tone-wise.

PS 408’s coil tap amazingly and have a real bite in humbucking mode.
    Trading feedback info here

My band, Red For Dissent
    These comments are made in jest, I get that. Its all good. But it does raise an interesting thought...last year, I asked a question about how my Custom 24 didn't sound quite right and everyone said it was down to the 24 frets and that Custom 22s are "better" guitars. In my naivety, I sold it and regretted it.

The issue was never those extra frets, it was the pickup change and my misunderstanding of the tone, I get that now, especially now I've bought another one with the right pickups in it. But, nevertheless, I listened to internet wisdom and wish I hadn't.

Be nice if we qualified statements like that though, @crunchman what is it you don't like about 24 frets guitars, fella?
    I get lost up there.  My first PRS was a 24 fret guitar, and it just confused me.  When I'm playing reasonably high up (19th fret is about as high as I get), part of me works out where I am by the distance to the top fret.  When there are 24 I just get completely disorientated.

I don't know if there is something in the pickup position as well that works better on a 21 or 22 fret guitar.  Being under the harmonic isn't really a big deal, because the harmonic is in a different place as soon as you fret a note, but a 24 fret guitar does have the neck pickup closer to the bridge, which will affect tone.

Given that I never use the 22nd fret on the guitars I have, the extra two frets are totally unnecessary.
  • crunchman said:
    These comments are made in jest, I get that. Its all good. But it does raise an interesting thought...last year, I asked a question about how my Custom 24 didn't sound quite right and everyone said it was down to the 24 frets and that Custom 22s are "better" guitars. In my naivety, I sold it and regretted it.

I get lost up there.  My first PRS was a 24 fret guitar, and it just confused me.  When I'm playing reasonably high up (19th fret is about as high as I get), part of me works out where I am by the distance to the top fret.  When there are 24 I just get completely disorientated.

I don't know if there is something in the pickup position as well that works better on a 21 or 22 fret guitar.  Being under the harmonic isn't really a big deal, because the harmonic is in a different place as soon as you fret a note, but a 24 fret guitar does have the neck pickup closer to the bridge, which will affect tone.

Given that I never use the 22nd fret on the guitars I have, the extra two frets are totally unnecessary.
    That says more about you than the spec of the guitar. 
    crunchman said:

That says more about you than the spec of the guitar. 
    Who actually uses frets 23 and 24?

And how many actually want to listen to music where players widdle away up there?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Seems like a very versatile guitar for a gigging musician and I've never thought about PRS before but I've seen a couple recently that are getting me interested...I don't mind the birds either but would prefer the dot moon inlays they do.
    • “To play a wrong note is insignificant; to play without passion is inexcusable.”
  • normula1normula1 Frets: 640
    When I bought my PRS I had gone in with the aim of trying a 408 with the different sized pickups as well as a Custom 22. I really liked the 408 but was conscious that I couldn't swap the pickups out if I didn't get on with them. In the end it was neck profile that swung it the way of the CU22, but if they'd had the same profile it would have been an interesting battle I would have had with myself.
  • darcym said:
    so pleased this is coming back, this is a REALLY good guitar, I've been looking for a fair priced used one from the original run for an age, but now the second run is happening I'll be sure to pick one up.
    This^^^^^^

have been in the same boat, this time will just buy new. Very pleased thease are back....