Bloody amps

What's Hot
HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15987
edited November 2018 in Amps
Just got my 4010 today, however....

let me run this by you......master on 7 and pre on 4 and the noise level ( hiss and stuff) is quite good, Lo input

Plug my pedal board into the amp ( some Kingsley ODs and reverb and delay, 6 pedals in total) pedals are all OFF BTW and the noise level shoots up without me engaging a single pedal...what's this all about?  The odd thing is switching on the ODs does not really worsen the hiss at all

I notice higher levels of Master make matters worse and lower Master with higher gain makes less hiss noise....i would have thought it would be worse with higher gain levels......

Part 2

Instead of switching amp off for the day i just quickly pulled out the jack from the front of the amp....immediate loud SHHHH noise without anything plugged into amp SHHHHHHHHH.....nooooooooo,

Switched amp off and then back on and with nothing plugged in the seashore SHHHHHHHH continues

Image result for worried face

tae be or not tae be
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72602
    What pedals are on the board? There will only be extra hiss compared to the direct guitar signal if the pedals are generating it. If it's not the overdrives, it will be the reverb and/or delay - presumably at least one of those is buffered rather than true bypass.

Extra noise when there is no plug in the Low jack is normal, since the High gain stage is then engaged - the Low jack bypasses it. Lower gain settings make it worse because there is a treble-pass 'bright' cap on the gain control, which will let all the hiss through regardless of the setting.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15987
    edited November 2018
    John the loud SHHHHHH only happened for the 1st time tonight when i quickly removed the live jack plug ^ see part 2  it's only happened when i did that....it's not a normal hiss, it's way beyond, like something is amiss. I knew instantly when i removed the jack plug that something had gone wrong

The pedals are Arc Klone.....Kingsley Jouster.....Kingsley Harlot......Kingsley Page.....(all real tube) ARDX20 delay and Wet reverb
    tae be or not tae be
    hootsmon said:
    John the loud SHHHHHH only happened for the 1st time tonight when i quickly removed the live jack plug ^ see part 2  it's only happened when i did that....it's not a normal hiss, it's way beyond, like something is amiss. I knew instantly when i removed the jack plug that something had gone wrong
    Ah, it sounds like the ground switch in the Low jack needs a clean too.

hootsmon said:

The pedals are Arc Klone.....Kingsley Jouster.....Kingsley Harlot......Kingsley Page.....(all real tube) ARDX20 delay and Wet reverb
    Not familiar with any of those, but presumably at least one of them is buffered, and has a slightly noisy buffer - some are.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Gonna spend some time with amp again on Sat........tried same set up loud with laney vc 15 and there wisnae a peep
    tae be or not tae be
    hootsmon said:
    Gonna spend some time with amp again on Sat........tried same set up loud with laney vc 15 and there wisnae a peep
    With the bright switch off? That disconnects the treble-pass caps... no hiss.

• shaunmshaunm Frets: 1633
    Sorry for your troubles but on the plus side you’ve got a 4010..... amazing amps.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7344
    edited November 2018
    Is a new range from Bloody Amps - They get a mixed response from the press, especially over the amount of time the aptly named NHS standby switch takes before you can access anything...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

John, the loud SHHHH i spoke of previously happened the first time i listened to the amp idling with nothing in the inputs and the amp at volume....like you have said the SHHHH goes when i plug a guitar in. Is this par for the course with these amps then?

Does the bright cap  have an affect the low input channel too,and higher settings of the pre amp ,even in the low input, tames the bright cap issue,yeah?
    tae be or not tae be
    Yes, the bright cap affects both High and Low inputs. Higher settings of the Preamp Volume control reduce its effect - although there is another one *before* the control too, so there is always some treble boost.

Hiss is normal with nothing in the Low jack because the High gain stage is not bypassed, and the noise you're hearing comes from there.

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11470
    What power supply are you using for your board?

While some of the cheaper ones are functional, they can be noisy.  If you don't have a good quality isolated supply, then that is something worth looking at.
    edited November 2018
    Is a speaker change doable by a complete tech numpty like me?

I am about to pull the trigger on a new c90....these can go in without soldering,yeah?

What i need now is a short speaker cable with lugs on...are these buyable anywhere?
    tae be or not tae be
    hootsmon said:
    Is a speaker change doable by a complete tech numpty like me?

I am about to pull the trigger on a new c90....these can go in without soldering,yeah?

What i need now is a short speaker cable with lugs on...
    I've got one I think. I'll PM you.

Whether it will fit without soldering depends on whether the speaker has been soldered in the past and how clean the terminals are - it's possible (likely) that there's too much old solder on them for the connectors to fit. It may be only on two though, and there are four on a Celestion. The terminals can be cleaned, but since you need a soldering iron to do it that might not be much use to you :).

What can i realistically expect from a speaker swap in a Marshall 4010 combo,more headroom/volume,and less shrill highs?

G12 M 70 to c90 celestion black shadow
    tae be or not tae be
    Bigger, heavier tone with more bottom end, a little more top and more volume.

Why did you choose this speaker - because it's the closest to the old G12-80?

Yes partly and the power handling capability too.
    tae be or not tae be
    Thanks John  :)
    tae be or not tae be
    I can probably find you a genuine 1980s G12-80 fairly easily :).