talk to me about very low powered valved amps.

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• thermionicthermionic Frets: 9659

The best low-volume sound I've had in recent years is a Vox desktop Tonelab through decent monitors (Tannoy). It's very valvey and very satisfying (not too mention the history of amps is all there, from Tweed Deluxe to JCM900). I suspect that small cabs with 8" or 10" speakers is the problem and that cab/speaker models through decent monitors or hi-fi speakers will always win. I have a little Vox DA-5, sounds ok but very boxy... plug the line out into a spare channel of my hi-fi and it sounds massive.

I sold my AC30 when I wasn't playing in a band any more, but more for reasons of versatility and bulk - it sounded good at low volume in the house (but totally clean, obviously).

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4146
    I've got two valve amps - a Laney Cub 12R combo and a big Laney Ironheart IRT60H run into a 2x12 V30 loaded cab. Both sound great.

But this morning I was playing my Zoom G3 into the soundbar next to my study TV. And it sounded massive and stereo. And now I'm thinking why have I got these big valve amps when I haven't played a gig in ages.

No doubt that will change next time I crank the Ironheart.

But what others have said is true, it's amazing how good big valve amps sound at low volume. As long as they have a good master volume.

• NPPNPP Frets: 236
    interesting to hear that people are getting good sounds out of a modeller through a stereo. I only get totally crap sounds that way. 

My personal preference for low-volume home playing is any tube amp and an amp-in-a-box type pedal.

• Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2360
    edited April 2014
    I tend to find massive, 2 channel 50 or 100 watt beasts are quieter than a 5 watter, which need to be cranked a bit to sound good.

Decide a budget, then try some out. Make sure you can get great sounds at low volume and you're sorted :) at the end of the day, for home practice, wattage is irrelevant - tone at low volume is more important.
    +1 (and also bear in mind that it'll sound quieter in the shop than in your house, unless your house is massive)

the hts are hybrid, for what it's worth.

ICBM said:
    Go by tone and not power. No valve amp is overkill, no matter how powerful it is, if it gives you the sound you want at the volume you need. (Assuming you can afford it and physically get it in your house of course!) Like the others have said, it's often easier to get a better very low volume sound with a bigger amp - including a bigger speaker usually - than a small one.

To get *truly* low power - so you can crank the output section at home volume - you probably need to be looking at amps in the 0.1W range... even 1W is very loud through a good speaker. That really limits you to things like the ZVex Nano - and I had to make an attenuator for mine! It was just too loud otherwise.

On the other hand my 100W Mesa isn't.
    +1

That's not to say the 5 watters are totally pointless- they're not, they are a bit easier to crank up. Just "a bit easier to crank up" isn't anywhere near home practising volume unless you have a massive guitar room and don't share any walls with neighbours.
  •  I'll be VERY interested to try an ID Core when they are out in shops.
    Had a quick go of one today. No "valve" TVP settings on them, but they do have a nifty spatial setting that makes the modulations sound like they're coming from around the room, which was weird. Good weird though. £120.
    littlegreenman < My tunes here...
  • ForgeForge Frets: 431

It entirely depend on each individual amp.

My DSL50 head was great, even at low volume but I tried a few that needed the master up to get into the tone zone - the Dr Z Maz 18 for example. For space, portability and cost the small amp are great.

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17648
    tFB Trader
    In my experience a lot of low powered home valve amps sound total balls. Boxy cleans and horrible scratchy drive sounds.

HT1/HT5s sound good though and cranking them makes no difference. Decent valve amps sound good at any volume clean or dirty. There is really only one type of sound that you need the amp on ten for and that's the saggy blues rock thing that I personally don't much like anyway. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom