Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Recovered Pedal Addicts

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• Interesting thread.

Did some recording for a mate at the weekend.

Took Blackheart HD amp head and plugged through a Jettenuator directly into the recording interface.

Added a Studio One Analogue delay and the results are superb.

No need for mic's or my (mainly Boss) pedal board.

Am I cured? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2850
    Anyone use a Roland SPD Drum pedal? 
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7786
    Paul_C said:

Me too!

I've gone from a quite frankly ridiculous chain of 34 pedals to a far more sensible 28.

"I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16097
    Gone from a monstrous thing to Helix HX but can't do without my Tumnus in one of the loops even tho' the Helix Minotaur is great .
    If you can be arsed to fiddle and tweak and get a Multi FX like HX set up properly there is absolutely no excuse for pedals unless you really need a POG because Helix falls short on that one.
    If you can't afford a Helix ; a Mooer Red Truck can be had for about £150 and is absolutely all you need to sound great.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • joetelejoetele Frets: 951
    edited November 2018
    I went down a bit of a boutique rabbit hole this year, but ended up realising (somewhat subjectively of course) that most of those quirky effects wouldn't be used as often as would be justified by the cost - plus many of the sounds could be achieved using the pedals I had. AND some of them just wouldn't sit well/be that noticeable in the band mix.

One example being lusting after a Chase Bliss Warped Vinyl - which is stunning - but the sound I'd use most on there can be achieved fairly closely on my Visual Sound H2O v3 set to the vibrato mode and tweaked. And having used it on recordings and at several band practices, it really does sound fantastic. 

So I've since sold a lot of the boutique/quirky/expensive pedals, and built a pedal board that I'm really happy with. And surprisingly, the majority of the pedals on the board are from Boss (which reminded me of the board @builttospill posted a page back). The PH3 does some really great insane stuff on the Step setting, the RV5 is one of the best reverb pedals you can buy, and the HF-2 is the best flanger I've ever tried. And none of the Boss pedals cost me more than £70. So the only really quirky stuff I'm left with is the EQD Data Corrupter and the Digitech Whammy. 

And the GAS seems to have disappeared - I look at the board and there's nothing I want to sell, nothing new I want to buy. I'm really happy with the board and yesterday's practice was one of the best ever - full use of the board, effects used musically, and I knew where everything was/how to set it. 

MUSIC: Pale Blurs
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • joetele said:
    I went down a bit of a boutique rabbit hole this year, but ended up realising (somewhat subjectively of course) that most of those quirky effects wouldn't be used as often as would be justified by the cost - plus many of the sounds could be achieved using the pedals I had. AND some of them just wouldn't sit well/be that noticeable in the band mix.

One example being lusting after a Chase Bliss Warped Vinyl - which is stunning - but the sound I'd use most on there can be achieved fairly closely on my Visual Sound H2O v3 set to the vibrato mode and tweaked. And having used it on recordings and at several band practices, it really does sound fantastic. 

So I've since sold a lot of the boutique/quirky/expensive pedals, and built a pedal board that I'm really happy with. And surprisingly, the majority of the pedals on the board are from Boss (which reminded me of the board @builttospill posted a page back). The PH3 does some really great insane stuff on the Step setting, the RV5 is one of the best reverb pedals you can buy, and the HF-2 is the best flanger I've ever tried. And none of the Boss pedals cost me more than £70. So the only really quirky stuff I'm left with is the EQD Data Corrupter and the Digitech Whammy. 

And the GAS seems to have disappeared - I look at the board and there's nothing I want to sell, nothing new I want to buy. I'm really happy with the board and yesterday's practice was one of the best ever - full use of the board, effects used musically, and I knew where everything was/how to set it. 

Yesssss! a Wis to you
    joetele said:

Yesssss! a Wis to you
    I knew you had good taste ;)

Your board would also make a man like me very happy. 
  • joetele said:

Altoids though lol 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    joetele said:

Altoids though lol 
    If you google pics of pedalboards you might be surprised at how many of them have a little Altoids tin in the corner...

• joetele said:

Yesssss! a Wis to you
    About ten years back I owned a board which consisted of Analogman pedals, the AM chorus which was superb, a Peppermint fuzz which was my favourite fuzz and host of others inc vintage and boutique pedals.
    Modeling fever took over and then I sold the lot to fund an M13 (when they were expensive!) in truth I never got in with it, I found it hampered creativity, I could never work out how to do presets,
    I eventually sold the M13 and went back to boutique then sold those and gradually went all Boss, I have stupidly overlooked Boss and wish I had discovered them earlier.   
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7421
    joetele said:
    joetele said:

Altoids though lol 
    If you google pics of pedalboards you might be surprised at how many of them have a little Altoids tin in the corner...
    Yes it’s a ridiculous affectation that started on HCFX and TGP 
    Red ones are better. 
    TimmyO said:
    joetele said:
    joetele said:

Altoids though lol 
    Yes it’s a ridiculous affectation that started on HCFX and TGP 
    Perhaps for those who do it as an affectation. I first used mine about 10 years ago before I'd even gone onto guitar forums, because I'd finished all the Altoids within and thought "that is just the right size to put all my plectrums in". I gave it a wash inside and have used it ever since, and then five years later put some velcro on the bottom of the tin and stuck it to my board.