Jam night - little amp or Helix overkill

What's Hot
TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7548
So, my anti-anxiety foray to the jam should have round 2 in the week, and I HAD thought I'd have an old Peavey Bandit by then, but it fell through.

This thread to to track my handwringing (and gather any of your thoughts) over how I attack the situation (and yes, at this one I need my own amp, as going into a keyboard amp line-in last week taught me lol) 

I already own a Helix and DXR10 speaker. 

I don't currently own another amp (apart from a THR10 with no power supply, but I'll disregard that) 

Upside of getting a basic amp (eg Blues Cube Hot that's in the classifieds at the time of writing, or a fictional goes-on-sale-cheaply-locally Princeton or DRRI or Bandit):
1. Won't feel like a knob for lugging a helix and active monitor for 2 blues shuffles
2. K.I.S.S. = less faffing on the night 
3. Already have a PT Nano I can put an old drive, delay and tuner on to use with it
4. 2 hand carry-in

Downside of getting an amp:
1. Additional cost

Upside of using Helix
1. No additional cost
2. Flexibility

Downside of using Helix:
1. Looking like a flash harry
2. Too much flexibility = temptation to faff
3. 3-hand(!) carry-in 

I suspect at this rate I'll just show up with my Helix and DXR10 but feel a bit silly doing so
Red ones are better. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Honestly, given you’re already showing up with a really nice ES335 or PRS or R7, I wouldn’t worry too much :)
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • Though I’d add if you can have a really simple rig setup within the Helix to avoid faffing, I’m sure that would be welcomed - Wah, TS, Klon and something swirly into a simple clean amp and not too much more.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    Where are you? You could possibly borrow one from a local friendly Fretboarder. You’d be welcome to borrow my little Boogie Subway Blues if you’re within hailing distance of Exeter.
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7548
    Though I’d add if you can have a really simple rig setup within the Helix to avoid faffing, I’m sure that would be welcomed - Wah, TS, Klon and something swirly into a simple clean amp and not too much more.
    yeah I've been titting about today with a Fender Twin, wah, comp, Timmy, delay and tremolo 
    Red ones are better. 
    simonk said:
    Where are you? You could possibly borrow one from a local friendly Fretboarder. You’d be welcome to borrow my little Boogie Subway Blues if you’re within hailing distance of Exeter.
    Swindon - there's no-one I know in this area well enough to be borrowing gear from really 
    Red ones are better. 
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28665
    You could nip to Reading tomorrow to borrow my LC15R... If you tell me in time to bung it in the car. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • I'd say use the gear you have.

You say you don't want to "feel like a knob for lugging a helix and active monitor for 2 blues shuffles" but why should you feel like that? - to most other people (especially those 'old school' types) it'll just be a 'multi-fx and a speaker'. Just explain it's what you use at home and familiar with.

Keep the Helix setup simple and you'll be fine, probably have a talking point with curious other guitarists and might even have a few who'll want to 'have a go on this new stuff'.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2090
    I had the same thought with the kemper, ..I can use is with my DXR12 ....or get a Flyrig, Katana , Boss GT board or similar 

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5796
    TimmyO said:
    simonk said:
    Swindon - there's no-one I know in this area well enough to be borrowing gear from really 
    There’s me. Very happy to lend you something to go and jam with :)

Always great to meet another Fretboarder 
    dazzajl said:
    TimmyO said:
    simonk said:
    There’s me. Very happy to lend you something to go and jam with :)

Always great to meet another Fretboarder 
    blimey - didn't think there were any others on here :-) 

What kind of stuff do you play? Have you played locally or going to any gigs soon? 

I'm probably going to the KISS tribute at the Furnace on Fri lol 
    Red ones are better. 
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16147
    Isn't that the whole point and joy of the Helix ?