Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

What Is The Guitar Industry’s Obsession With The Past?

What's Hot
AlexCAlexC Frets: 2396
edited November 2018 in Guitar
Like a lot of you - I’m taking a wild guess here! - I spend quite a lot of time online looking at gear I can’t afford. And I’ve realised that well over half of guitars and related equipment take a huge delight in telling us that they are just like something from the 60s/70s. Or use valves. Or are a classic design. Or use pick ups that were designed in 1959. Etc, etc.
Pedals give you that ‘classic sound’ just like 1972 or the 80s. 
You too can recreate the vibe and tones of 1975 with this vast array of thousands of quids worth of gear...
WTF? 
Is this a marketing thing aimed at the middle aged because they’re the ones with (supposedly) a disposable income, or is it a form of laziness on the maker’s behalf? 
If everything is retro then I cannot really see how guitar playing can progress. No wonder teens are saying “screw that” and finding other ways to make music.
Next up - the harpsichord revival.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SporkySporky Frets: 28378
    The historical reenactment guitarists are very vocal. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3297
    tFB Trader
    It's the safe way to make money from the big makers and mostly screws up the small makers imo, if it's not familiar you'll shut shop simple as that

Funny thing is bass guitarists and acoustic players don't seem as bothered  to me
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • mortmort Frets: 719
    “The public gets what the public wants”
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    edited November 2018
    I play a Telecaster, Les Paul & Precision Bass through a FX8 and Kemper amp, so I think that is progressing (a little!) 
    If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    It's the safe way to make money from the big makers and mostly screws up the small makers imo, if it's not familiar you'll shut shop simple as that

Funny thing is bass guitarists and acoustic players don't seem as bothered  to me
    I’d go so far as to say that most bass players are quite the opposite. Browse the Basschat basses for sale and you’ll see the new, the old, the wacky, the rare and the downright odd all there. And they all sell. There’s more custom made, one off, mad stuff on there than anything else. And it’s lapped up
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • It isnt really the industries fault IMO. Its guitarists who have their heads in the past. Innovation is not rewarded with sales. Rarely anyway.

There is a preoccupation with 60 and 70 year old designs with rock players.

Chapman guitars are a prime example. The idea was to get blog followers to vote for designs they wanted, so they ended up with more Les Paul, Tele, Strat etc. clones.

Before rock, guitarists were just the same. They ignored the radical designs of George Beauchamp's models in the 30s. They only wanted his pickups (copies were everywhere) to fit onto their archtops, which then fed back constantly. Served 'em right really. George's guitars didnt have that problem.

I sometimes think, therefore I am intermittent
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8794
    AlexC said:

Next up - the harpsichord revival.
    The kids going nuts for that gone Crumhorn sound.
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
  • The world is a scary place. People want familiarity... the golden olden days were safer and warmer. 
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• It's the safe way to make money from the big makers and mostly screws up the small makers imo, if it's not familiar you'll shut shop simple as that

I can't speak for bass players but a lot of acoustic guitarists are incredibly obsessed with Golden Era acoustic guitar trends, be it the 1930's. I'm not sure it's more or less than electric players but it's still a huge thing.

I can't speak for bass players but a lot of acoustic guitarists are incredibly obsessed with Golden Era acoustic guitar trends, be it the 1930's. I'm not sure it's more or less than electric players but it's still a huge thing.
    It’s amazing how many bass players post wanted ads with “nothing pre-1980 please”
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • gringopiggringopig Frets: 2648
    edited July 2020
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    gringopig said:

space harp or neutron bassoon 
    I’d so pay good money for both of those....
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Not everybody wants to create what's new, if you like that then great but I'd say a fair number of us play in order to recreate what we've heard
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72412
    It's also hard to sell most violinists a design that's newer than 300 years old.

One problem is that innovators very often seem to take the opposite tack and overdo it, with counterproductive results. A good example is the Parker Fly - on paper the feature set looked like it should be excellent. In practice, it was hideously ugly, needlessly uncomfortable, sounded awful and had some serious durability (frets) and upgradability (pickups) problems.

Or Gibson with their robot tuners, which might have been almost a good idea if they'd been an option, or fitted to a specific 'modern' series of guitars - instead of applied to the whole standard range, at the same time as a couple of other features which when combined, put off almost all their possible customers. And don't even mention the Firewood X... that wasn't innovation, it was a joke.

When they see things like that, is it any wonder a lot of players want to stick with what they know? Even when it's stuck in the past.

Where I think it gets ridiculous is when you get 'new' designs which are nothing but bits of various old designs stuck in a blender and finished in a way that's meant to make them look as if they're fifty years old. (Which is not quite the same as making reissues of fifty-year-old guitars look as if they're fifty years old.) The market seems saturated with this sort of thing currently.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • AlexC said:
    No wonder teens are saying “screw that” and finding other ways to make music.
    Other ways of music that involve recombining sine-waves and sawtooths in various ways, like they were doing .. er... in the 1930's.

In terms of "tone" generators, there really hasn't been anything truly innovative since sampling and it's spin offs - granular synthesis and wavetable synthesis.

The main difference between modern day EDM music and something like the first Prodigy album from 1992 is chiefly about post-processing, multi-band processing, and layering. So when you say that teens are saying screw that and finding other ways to make music... they're not exactly being innovative either.

And it's debatable whether it's even true. The guitar is as popular as ever judging by stats we've got:
    https://www.statista.com/statistics/440131/us-guitar-market-retail-sales/

As ever.. this sort of topic is born out of confirmation bias and isn't terribly grounded in reality. IMHO.
  • pmbombpmbomb Frets: 1169
    I think the guitar industry is just obsessed with staying in business.

That and Les Pauls are cool. They just are. (Well played-in Teles are too. The jury's out on Strats).
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • MoominpapaMoominpapa Frets: 1649
    edited November 2018
    The other day a family Skype call somehow touched on conservatism in guitar design and I remarked to my two sons (17 and 21) that it was a real shame that there weren't more things like the Teuffel Birdfish. Met with incomprehension - they had never heard of it. So they immediately Googled it and were blown away: they both thought it was one of the coolest instruments they had ever seen. Although both can play instruments neither is primarily a guitarist and neither has any allegiance to the Strat / Tele / Les Paul triumvirate. I think it would be interesting to see what might happen if some more radical designs were widely and affordable available.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14457
    Many people who take up the guitar or the electric bass do so because they are inspired by recorded music from the past.

Part of the quest for mimicking favourite sounds from the past is researching what equipment was supposedly used to create it. The next step is acquiring something that resembles that historic equipment in the mistaken belief that this is a shortcut to exact sonic replication.

Sometimes, there is a secondary mistaken belief that precisely accurate reproduction of favoured old sounds will bring similar levels of financial reward and groupie attention to those enjoyed by the originator(s) of the belovēd sound(s).

As long as punters want to play this game, manufacturers will happily oblige them. Ker-Ching!

You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • AlexCAlexC Frets: 2396
    AlexC said:
    Other ways of music that involve recombining sine-waves and sawtooths in various ways, like they were doing .. er... in the 1930's.

In terms of "tone" generators, there really hasn't been anything truly innovative since sampling and it's spin offs - granular synthesis and wavetable synthesis.

The main difference between modern day EDM music and something like the first Prodigy album from 1992 is chiefly about post-processing, multi-band processing, and layering. So when you say that teens are saying screw that and finding other ways to make music... they're not exactly being innovative either.

And it's debatable whether it's even true. The guitar is as popular as ever judging by stats we've got:

As ever.. this sort of topic is born out of confirmation bias and isn't terribly grounded in reality. IMHO.
    I didn’t use the phrase ‘innovation’ once in my original post. I said “other ways to make music.”
    The question I am asking is - why does the guitar industry promote itself and products (not all, obviously) as being retro, grounded in the past?
    I’m not asking anyone whether The Beatles are ‘better’ than NWA or Little Mix. And I’m not saying that Les Pauls shouldn’t exist either.
  • JimmyWingsJimmyWings Frets: 25
    edited November 2018
    AlexC said:
    AlexC said:

I didn’t use the phrase ‘innovation’ once in my original post. I said “other ways to make music.”
    The question I am asking is - why does the guitar industry promote itself and products (not all, obviously) as being retro, grounded in the past?
    I’m not asking anyone whether The Beatles are ‘better’ than NWA or Little Mix. And I’m not saying that Les Pauls shouldn’t exist either.
    The entire premise of your post is steeped in the assumption that the guitar industry is failing to innovate. That's completely how it reads to me anyway. I know you didn't use the word once, but I don't think any of us are simple minded enough to require the word to be used in order for the implication to come through.