Comments

• Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2358
    edited November 2018
    That's awful
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JD50JD50 Frets: 658

That's just terrible.

Why the go fund me page, surely they have home / business insurance?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28338
    Sad story, one of many sad stories over there. So many people missing.
  • JD50 said:

That's just terrible.

They’ve been getting a lot of grief over on FB groups for asking for money when that’s what Insurance is for 

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72358
    Very sad. At least he and his family are OK, but much of what's been lost from his guitar-making business is probably irreplaceable even if he was insured.

JD50 said:

Probably because it takes a long time to get insurance money through. It sounds like they've lost literally everything.

No doubt some sellers are already increasing the asking prices for older Charvels, since there won't be any more the same now...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• JD50 said:

That's just terrible.

I wondered that. I've had insurance that specifically excludes major events or 'acts of god' or whatever you want to call them, so maybe that's the case? Or perhaps the premiums were so steep because of the fire risk that they were under-insured.

Terrible times though, I can't even imagine what they're going through.
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• polotskapolotska Frets: 116
    edited November 2018
    ICBM said:

No doubt some sellers are already increasing the asking prices for older Charvels, since there won't be any more the same now…
    In a rational world, this wouldn’t happen—Wayne Charvel sold Charvel to Grover Jackson in the late–1970s, who eventually sold them to a Japanese company, and Fender bought whatever was left in 2002. Wayne Charvel did start the “Wayne Guitars” brand some time back, but he hasn’t been involved with Charvel guitars for about forty years. His residence and workshop that burned down were in the city of Paradise, California, which is in far-northern California; the Charvel guitar company most famously operated in various cities in the eastern suburbs of Los Angeles (Azusa, Glendora, Ontario, San Dimas), though I think its operations have been consolidated into the Fender apparatus for some time now.

That being said, I wouldn’t put it past sellers to try to use this to justify higher prices on older Charvels!

(And I hope this doesn’t sound unsympathetic to Wayne Charvel—the California fires have been awful.)
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10221
    edited November 2018
    No doubt these companies had insurance. Whether they get a full pay out is different. As we know, insurance companies suck and they’ll happily take full premiums from us and only pay a fraction of the value of what’s lost. 

I feel for the people who have lost everything but hope that they can get back on their feet. And for the many others around the world where there is hardly any publicity and have no means of getting anything back at all.