Now Sorted! AVI video on ipad...heeeelp!

What's Hot
paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3055
edited November 2018 in Off Topic
I have a new wildlife camera that I set up in our woodland which will take motion activated stills or video, then you remove the memory card and upload to the device of choice, except that the video clips don't show as thumbnails when I insert the memory card into the reader on the ipad......phots are ok........is there a solution? I only have an iPad and a Mac.......there was no mention of incompatability on the shop website........seriously diappointed as there is footage of all sorts that I can view on the 2inch camera screen.......The maufacturer helpdesk was unable to offer a solution and I am awaiting a reply from the shop I bought it from, I can't even return it as I binned the packaging, thinking all was ok.... 
Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6090
    Have you tried the app VLC? It recognises all kinds of video formats.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3055
    Yes, but I cant see the video thumbnails on the iPad to tell it to upload the files....
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• spark240spark240 Frets: 2086
    Cant open on Mac either ?

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
    No! Bloody frustrating!

The video clips are on the card, I can play them on the little camera screen, but when I plug the card reader into the iPad/Mac, there are only thumbnails for the still photos

• TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7504
    VLC should be able to see the avi files on the card
    Red ones are better. 
    Can you see the files, just not as thumbnails? 
    Red ones are better. 
    (on VLC on Mac) 
    Red ones are better. 
    Actually, on the Mac save the files to somewhere that the iOS files app can access, then when they sync open them on iPad with VLC for iOS 
    Red ones are better. 
    edited November 2018
    Can't see the files, why is it so bloody difficult?!

• IIRC it needs to be done via itunes on your desktop/laptop. With the ipad plugged in, look at the apps within the ipad abd open VLC. Then within that locate the avi file on your computer. 
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2086
    You used Spotlight on Mac yes?

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
    IIRC it needs to be done via itunes on your desktop/laptop. With the ipad plugged in, look at the apps within the ipad abd open VLC. Then within that locate the avi file on your computer. 
    Ill give it a go tomorrow, thanks chaps....

• In my book, this is one of the the biggest problems with anything Apple. On a  PC you can see and manipulate the files properly and a program such as VLC will load and play anything in video format.
    edited November 2018
    If I can't work out how to use VLC and to be honest it sounds like a huge PITA, then perhaps a cheap old windows laptop will do the job?......
    Would a Kindle tablet do the job, my old Kindle just died anyway.....

• JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6090
    You could try importing them into Photos and see if they will play in the app but otherwise follow @Winny_Pooh’s instructions.

VLC isn’t complicated, it’s basically a video player but with options to export footage in a variety of formats.

A PC laptop would be preferable to Kindle.
  • Ok, download (free) the following to your Mac;

1.) Handbrake

2.) VLC

You should be able to see the (video) file now on your Mac. Handbrake will help you change the file to a more friendly format.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Thanks folks when I finish my current stretch of shifts, Ill give it a go.....

• I use VLC all the time. Import via iTunes...

iPad tab, File sharing (left hand side bar), select VLC, then drag & drop any files you want to import.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    Well Im sorted, AVI not compatible with iPad but I did splash out 2.57 on a new card reader for the Mac and I can now see the videophiles and play them with Quick Player. thanks for all the help folks, turned out much off the issues were due to  a faulty card reader.....

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom