Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

NGD - My First Les Paul .. and advise needed?

What's Hot
mrleon83mrleon83 Frets: 188
So, I did a trade last Sunday with a nice chap from my PRS to this Les paul!

https://imgur.com/a/NHYHgKy

I feel like I've struck lucky as it seems perfect .. so happy..

Anyhoo, my OCD is going nuts on the knobs! .. so do I get four top hats or four speed knobs? .. I kinda prefer to the look of the top hats but the colour of the speedy ones.. what do you think?

Also , it's been loaded with Bare Knuckle pickups, they seem super hot, so I'd be looking at maybe swapping these over with lower output pickups, unfortunately I have no idea what model they are, is there any way to find out? if anyone has some PAFy pickups they'd like to trade by all means get in touch..

Anyhoo, i'm super happy with this....
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    Knob wise, can you get a set of each? Shouldn’t cost that much in the scheme of things..? 
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mrleon83mrleon83 Frets: 188
    usedtobe said:
    Knob wise, can you get a set of each? Shouldn’t cost that much in the scheme of things..? 
    oh man, you're right I'm being stingy ! wis'd
  • teradaterada Frets: 5113
    I’d go for top hats. 

Looks lovely btw, congrats!
  • relic245relic245 Frets: 962
    I don't know the answer to your question but I like your guitar! Lovely colour. 

Enjoy playing it and don't worry about the knobs. Youll figure it out at some point. 
  • Personally, I'd go for the top-hats as I really don't like speed knobs... there might be some in a lighter colour you could get?

Great-looking guitar, congrats!
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    Nice guitar!  I prefer retro knobs but then I'm an old knob myself
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11594
    tFB Trader
    I like the look of top hat/bell knobs but much prefer using speed knobs

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    cheers guys, it's weird how it worked we both were looking for something rather particular amazing when that happens... so on the lookout for light gold tophats... any ideas where is best to obtain them ? .. i've been looking but most places seem to be out of stock..
  • DannyPDannyP Frets: 1677
    Amber hats and Oil City Forces Sweethearts would be my preference (because that's what I've got!)
  • Love the top hat knobs, with regards to the pickups I have a pair of low output Mojo PAF's which are excellent. You'll find alot of pickup makers on here. If you describe to them what you want they would probably be able to suggest a set or even make one to your spec. 
    Love the top hat knobs, with regards to the pickups I have a pair of low output Mojo PAF's which are excellent. You'll find alot of pickup makers on here. If you describe to them what you want they would probably be able to suggest a set or even make one to your spec. 
    good call, I'll probably need to sell the bareknuckle's first.. I'm not sure how I'd go about that  not knowing what they are.. I can see this being a trip down trying to get it as vintage accurate as possible.. Oh dear  :-)

• timmypixtimmypix Frets: 2396
    If you can get a multimeter reading, you should be able to ask Bare Knuckle themselves for some help identifying the pickups.
    Tim
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2897
    Top hats look better but I find speed knobs easier to adjust for whatever reason.
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    My multimeter was £9 on Amazon, does the job!
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14263
    tFB Trader
    timmypix said:
    If you can get a multimeter reading, you should be able to ask Bare Knuckle themselves for some help identifying the pickups.
    measure them and chances are you can equate what they are by looking at the various specs on the BK web site
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3589
    Have you thought of lowering the present PUs in thier surrounds to reduce thier output? It's subtle but may surprise you. Although I too like low output PAF types so I understand your 'need'.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11449
    edited November 2018
    timmypix said:
    measure them and chances are you can equate what they are by looking at the various specs on the BK web site
    The quick and easy way to do this is to just put a jack lead into the output and measure the resistance between the barrel and tip on the other end of the lead on the individual pickup settings.

Because of the resistance of the pots in parallel, the reading your multimeter gives will be very slightly low.  E.g a 9kOhm pickup will give a reading of 8.84kOhms with a 500k pot in parallel.  That's more than close enough to get an idea of what the pickup is so I wouldn't worry too much about the discrepancy..

If you are a pedant and want to be exact then the formula is here:

Edit: Speed knobs are much easier to use
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    ESBlonde said:
    Have you thought of lowering the present PUs in thier surrounds to reduce thier output? It's subtle but may surprise you. Although I too like low output PAF types so I understand your 'need'.
    I'll give that a go, I'm waiting for some switch cleaner to come through from amazon as the pickup selector is rather noisy... it's a great idea, especially as I'm crap at soldering! 
  • I like the look of the top hats but prefer the speed knobs for functionality. 
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4724
    I like the look of top hat/bell knobs but much prefer using speed knobs
    +1  ;)
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)