IT in York

rlwrlw Frets: 4735
We need to setup a small home/office network and need recommendations of competent and trustworthy people in York.  Does anyone know anyone?

Thanks
Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• It's pretty simple to do yourself fella.
    How many computers are you looking at and is it wired or wireless?
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4735
    Is it?  Two. Wired.  One cable.  Two ip addresses.
  • MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2940
    Is there need to access files on one machine on another? If not, just plug both into your broadband router... 

An idea of use case might be needed before assessing exactly what you need, but with 2 PCs you might be better off doing it yourself
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24444
    Why would connecting via the broadband router stop file sharing ?  @Myranda ; ....and why are you awake at 4.45am ?
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter
    I'm personally responsible for all global warming
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4735
    No need for any file sharing at all.  I'm beginning to realise that this is a piece of cake and that I have been over-thinking it.

I'm going to be accessing clients' networks via vpn to deal with their accounts but mrs rlw will only be doing the usual uploading and downloading of information she works with - and some shopping.............

I'm torn between Virgin 200Mbps - 213Mbps/12Mbps  - or Zen 88Mbps - 67Mbps/19Mbps.    I know the speeds are only a guide but which is likely to be the better option for the type of thing I'm doing.
  • Emp_Fab said:
    Why would connecting via the broadband router stop file sharing ?  @Myranda ; ....and why are you awake at 4.45am ?
    I think she meant, "Just plug both into your broadband router" as opposed to, "Plug both into your broadband router, then do a load of other stuff to make it all work".
    <space for hire>
  • MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2940
    Emp_Fab said:
    I think she meant, "Just plug both into your broadband router" as opposed to, "Plug both into your broadband router, then do a load of other stuff to make it all work".
    Ta da!