Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Telecasters.. CS or new American Original 60's

What's Hot

Comments

• Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2383
    '60 Sunburst Custom Shop Tele non-relic? Need to find one of the pre '99 example like this one from 1997....

https://www.amp-global.com/product/1997-fender-custom-shop-60-double-bound-custom-telecaster-sunburst-case/

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DB1DB1 Frets: 5025
    terada said:
    DB1 said:
    Thanks @Whitecat ;

The problem I have is that I've waited for months and months for the 'right' CS to come along and I haven't spotted a single one; needs to be bound Tele, 3T SB, R/W FB and I'm not really prepared to compromise.. Seem's like if I am going to get one it would have to be new or keep waiting for something that may never appear..

Si

The issue with any second hand purchase and a specific shopping list is as you have found out - They don't come along when you want one - Not sure if you are looking for a new C/S or used - https://www.guitars4you.co.uk/guitars/5401-fender-custom-shop-63-journeyman-relic-tele-custom-sunburst/ - ticks most of the boxes but maybe not the price tag you want - You'd probably need to keep hunting hard to find a similar used version and I'd say around £2200/2400 used now, based on recent price increases

https://www.guitars4you.co.uk/guitars/5618-fender-custom-shop-vintage-custom-1959-custom-tele/ - This has just arrived into stock - similar but barely aged at all 

Chances of finding any used NOS finish will be a long search - Around 80% of the CS business is composed of aged finishes, so used and you'll find very little out there with such a specific spec that you require

Let me know if I can help further
    Those Teles look good, Mark. When I first started 'collecting' guitars (in a small way) I was surprised at how many people would buy a new guitar, and didn't want it to look new. I was then told that it was about 80% of the CS market, as you say. I have what I think is a lovely looking, and playing, CS Strat which I put up for sale (but it isn't now) but got very little interest in it, apart from a bit on eBay. I'm not a big fan of relics (but it's all a matter of taste, different strokes etc) and it really is much more difficult to find the condition and colour that you want in a 'new' finish. With the colour and spec variations with Fender CS's, it does seem to be an easier process to spec your own, apart (for me) a) the depreciation and b) you've still not played it when it's delivered to you.

Love that finish, and its great to see some modern saddles. Proper nice guitar that
    modern spec'd with top nut end truss rod - 22 fret - Not sure what neck profile is on that Stat, as various options available

Modern tuners - maybe locking - Believe it is a Custom Deluxe or similar 

Obviously good at Gymnastics to balance all on its own like that
    65 Strat C neck -  a little chunky on a Strat for me personally, but it's fine. One day I will reveal my secret prop to you. That's an offer that you can probably refuse, to be fair.
    Call me Dave.
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12381
    Looks more daphne than sonic to me.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14446
    I own some AVRI Fenders. I have briefly tried an American Original. I get the appeal of the shallower fingerboard radius and larger fret wire but this really ought to be carried over into the pickup rod magnet polepiece dimensions. Otherwise, a Stratocaster is going to be plagued by wolf notes on the D and G strings.

I also have one CS Fender, purchased pre-owned, before they ceased production. There has never been an AVRI/Originals near equivalent to the '51 NoCaster. I tried altering an AVRI '52 Telecaster to serve as a back-up. That never quite delivered. Better to accept the '52 for what it is. Similar but different. 

what else would you be looking at for around £1.5 - £2k. Appreciate your thoughts..
    What exact qualities are you seeking in your prospective purchase? Low weight, period-authentic neck profile, specific pickup variant(s)?

Have you ever tried a Fender Brown's Canyon / Old Growth Redwood Telecaster? 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • DB1DB1 Frets: 5025
    munckee said:
    Looks more daphne than sonic to me.
    Yes, I thought so too, until I got the floor traveler sheet the other day. The pic is a good representation of the actual colour as well. 

Call me Dave.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11452

Chances of finding any used NOS finish will be a long search - Around 80% of the CS business is composed of aged finishes, so used and you'll find very little out there with such a specific spec that you require

It's a vicious circle though.  People buy the relics because that is all that is available.  I bought a CS Heavy Relic Tele a few years ago but I would far rather have had a nice shiny new one, or a Closet Classic.   The problem was that the ridiculous over the top relic was all that was in the shop.

If retailers bought in a decent selection of NOS or Closet Classic finishes, then I'm sure they would sell more of them.

• WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5426
    crunchman said:

It's a vicious circle though.  People buy the relics because that is all that is available.  I bought a CS Heavy Relic Tele a few years ago but I would far rather have had a nice shiny new one, or a Closet Classic.   The problem was that the ridiculous over the top relic was all that was in the shop.

If retailers bought in a decent selection of NOS or Closet Classic finishes, then I'm sure they would sell more of them.

Yeah, I do wonder. It's like Gibson saying "Slim Taper is the most popular neck carve because that's what we sell the most of." Well, it's almost all they f*cking use at all - if I don't have any choice in the matter, you can hardly call that an accurate reflection of my preferences.
  • CloudNineCloudNine Frets: 4263
    edited November 2018
    It's defo worth trying the LSL's, as I reckon they are quite a bit different to most others. Always seem to be very light, and they have a shallow neck pocket and as a result, really high saddles, so it is definitely a different playing feel. Not better or worse than CS, but different enough that it is worth seeking one out to try. I would say the CS relicing is generally better to my eyes, but the LSL's feel and sound like older guitars imo. Have owned both before, and would happily own both again. Haar T Styles can be immense, and great value used, but a bit more variable than some other brands. Not had much experience with K-Lines personally, but you hardly ever hear a bad word, so must be worth a go also.

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11452
    Whitecat said:
    crunchman said:

Yeah, I do wonder. It's like Gibson saying "Slim Taper is the most popular neck carve because that's what we sell the most of." Well, it's almost all they f*cking use at all - if I don't have any choice in the matter, you can hardly call that an accurate reflection of my preferences.

Don't get me started on the Gibson Slim Taper neck.  There are two or 3 Gibsons I might have bought if they had had a better neck profile.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14281
    tFB Trader
    crunchman said:

agree with the vicious circle comment, but over the years, as and when I've acquired any NOS or Closet finished vintage replicas, then I've always found them hard to sell - Often had to sell them of at vastly reduced prices in the end to move them on 

Part of the issue is the vast range of options available - In that I buy it in fiesta red you want surf green - I buy sonic blue you want sunburst - I buy with a 60's oval C neck profile you want large 65C - As such, ref the 2/3/4 I've had in stock at any one time, then I get the comments 'I would have brought that if it had have got XYZ pick-ups' - So a no win situation for us all

Yet funnily enough, I've had better success with NOS finished Custom Deluxe or Postmodern models, than with vintage replicas - Maybe with vintage models, then many expect it to be aged, as per all the genuine vintage market - The only vintage replica that sells well with an NOS finish is the 50's Strat in fiesta red as per a Hank Marvin spec'd model
  • That peach price on the masterbuilt Tele is mental. The lsl guitars do look good as do the xotic. Although the xotic relicing is laughably bad. 
  • Strat54 said:
    '60 Sunburst Custom Shop Tele non-relic? Need to find one of the pre '99 example like this one from 1997....

https://www.amp-global.com/product/1997-fender-custom-shop-60-double-bound-custom-telecaster-sunburst-case/

Very nice. I have a 97 cs 50s tele and its amazing. Midget frets though
    That peach price on the masterbuilt Tele is mental. The lsl guitars do look good as do the xotic. Although the xotic relicing is laughably bad. 
    Never mind the price, the finish looks more like fake tan.....grim.
  • chris78chris78 Frets: 9317
    A few people are saying about the lsl’s. Got to be honest, I’ve played a couple in Peach and didn’t rate them at all. Build your own partscaster rather than getting someone else to do so for you is my view of lsl.

I know you want to hear than American Originals are as good as cs guitars so go for that, but they really aren’t. The best production line was the now discontinued 64 tele. Genuinely great. Pretty much all lightweight (I’ve seen examples under 7lbs). People will tell you the custom shop is all marketing etc, but those guys know how to put a guitar together. I’m not sure if it’s woods or pickups, but they use superior quality materials from frets to woods to wire, they know how to put the things together and they’re right. Buy an original and you’ll have a great guitar, but the fact you asked means you’ll want to step up at some stage. Hang on for the right cs and you’ll have it for life.

BTW, Mark has this one that may be worth a look. https://www.guitars4you.co.uk/guitars/5487-fender-custom-shop-1966-custom-heavy-relic-tele-sunburst-used2016/

This is an absolute bargain at Peach with great pickups etc http://www.peachguitars.com/guitars/electric-guitars/fender-custom-shop-62-tele-custom-journeyman-relic-black.htm
  • If you're not hung up on the "F" on the headstock, how about an MJT build? 

You can get a Musikraft neck to your spec (so still with the right headstock shape) then get MJT to do the rest, including all finishing. They'll do worn or pretty-much-new-looking however you like, then you can put whatever pickups you like in it. Then you can get someone more local to put it together if you're not confident doing that yourself. 

It's slightly scary the first time you do it, but the Jazzmaster I got from that route cost me 1k and is genuinely one of the best guitars I've ever played. @Bucket 's dad had similar success with a La Cabronita build a few year back, and I know many others on here have done just as well. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • Put your own together like I did, as I would never have found exactly what I was after. 
    http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/135060/stunning-job-by-sc-relics/p2

• TINMAN82TINMAN82 Frets: 1846
    New or used, I’d say buy one you can a) try in person first or b) at least send back on a returns policy if it doesn’t suit.

I built an expensive partscaster strat with all premium components (Callaham, fender USA, bare knuckle, musikraft). It’s now sold for parts and I’m lucky if I’ve got half the value back.

These guitars are more than the sum of their parts.
    Zoolooter said:
    Put your own together like I did, as I would never have found exactly what I was after. 
    http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/135060/stunning-job-by-sc-relics/p2

Please OP don't do this and make another Fakercaster cos lord knows Reverb, Gumtree, Fleabay are full enough of them as it is. Licenced necks or not putting a fake decal on a non Fender built guitar violates FMIC's interllectual property rights and besides that puts this very forum at risk from the legal threats that the mods can do well without. :) 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CloudNineCloudNine Frets: 4263
    chris78 said:
    A few people are saying about the lsl’s. Got to be honest, I’ve played a couple in Peach and didn’t rate them at all. Build your own partscaster rather than getting someone else to do so for you is my view of lsl.

I know you want to hear than American Originals are as good as cs guitars so go for that, but they really aren’t. The best production line was the now discontinued 64 tele. Genuinely great. Pretty much all lightweight (I’ve seen examples under 7lbs). People will tell you the custom shop is all marketing etc, but those guys know how to put a guitar together. I’m not sure if it’s woods or pickups, but they use superior quality materials from frets to woods to wire, they know how to put the things together and they’re right. Buy an original and you’ll have a great guitar, but the fact you asked means you’ll want to step up at some stage. Hang on for the right cs and you’ll have it for life.

Not sure that the Partscaster argument is any different when considering Fenders tbh. With regard to LSL, I have no horse in the race, dont own one anymore, but I do believe they are worth consideration. I am guessing you are a Fender CS owner? They are great too, but there is no magic, and they definitely don't use better woods or pickups like you suggest, if anything I believe often the opposite. Some Fenders seem a little overweight to me. Pickups, the best ones I have had, have been non Fender, no doubt about that. If someone wants the Big F, then no point in having this conversation, but the OP asked what else was out there. I am not knocking Fender at all, I love them, and the quality they achieve, given the volume, is superb.

In terms of Telecaster Style guitars, I have had numerous CS's, as well as T's from LSL, Haar, Rocketfire, Rebel Relic, Suhr, Anderson, King Bee, Crinson, and some I have probably forgotten, and the LSL's were right up there with having the best tone and feel. Although I probably haven;t played really recent ones, so maybe they aren't quite as good anymore. 
  • TINMAN82 said:
    New or used, I’d say buy one you can a) try in person first or b) at least send back on a returns policy if it doesn’t suit.

I built an expensive partscaster strat with all premium components (Callaham, fender USA, bare knuckle, musikraft). It’s now sold for parts and I’m lucky if I’ve got half the value back.

These guitars are more than the sum of their parts.
    Did you get a Luthier to set up your partscaster?

I've put a few together, they have always been pretty good, but after a good set up from a professional, end up more than the sum of their parts.  I usually budget £60-£100 of work with a partcaster, depending on whether it is a fret dress and set up or full assemble.