SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

SOLD - Patrick Eggle Berlin Pro - 1997 - BEWARE GREEN CONTENT

RevMattRevMatt Frets: 838
edited November 2018 in Guitars £
This is a fairly recent purchase, and one of many many Patrick Eggles that I've owned over the years. It's an exceptionally good guitar that I'd rather not sell, but something has to go - that said, if my PRS Tremonti sells first, I will withdraw this listing and keep it so get in quick if you're interested... 

This is great example of Patrick Eggle's flagship model, the Berlin Pro. It was built in Birmingham back in 1997 after the company was taken over by Musical Exchanges - I've had a few Eggles from this period (and still own a couple of similar age examples) and they've all been exemplary. 

This one features many of the Berlin's standard appointments: 
- Mahogany body with carved maple top 
- Mahogany set neck with an Ebony fretboard featuring 24 frets 
- Sperzel tuners and 2 piece fixed bridge 
- Seymour Duncan Humbuckers (APH1 and Custom Custom 
- Volume control, 3 way pickup selector and 3 way rotary selector offering humbucking, split coil and 'twintone' settings 

The guitar is not only stunning to look at but plays brilliantly with that wonderful Eggle neck! The pickups are excellent - significantly better than the Kent Armstrongs found on some of the earlier models. The other a great range of tones with the humbuckers providing everything from warm and thick through to cutting high gain sounds (according to amp settings). In Twintone (an included diagram explains the wiring for this) and split coil settings you unlock a further array of more single coil type voicings, and these work extremely well - far better than many coil tap or split coil type attempts. 

The guitar comes with a high quality Hiscox case that is made to measure with the Eggle logo embossed in the lid. It also comes with a little pouch with the allan key and some paperwork describing the features and settings. 

The condition is superb - it's a really stunning guitar that is hard to fault. That said, it's not perfect and under scrutiny you can find some little marks in the lacquer around the edge of the body and a small area on the rear edge near the jack socket where the lacquer has rubbed away revealing a thin slither of wood - barely noticeable. Along the top edge of the fretboard there are a couple of little dings, but these are not noticeable when playing. Overwise, it's very hard to tell that it's 21 years old! 

The case has a locking catch that it permanently locked in the open position - if you wanted to reinstate the catch you could probably force or drill out the lock, but the lid is secure without it. 

PRICE: £695

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DB1DB1 Frets: 5025
    Bloody hell, that's green! And very nice. 
    Call me Dave.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I wasn't sure what to expect from the thread title..probably that I was going to hate it ...but that is a lovely guitar..!!

I'm sure it's a marmite type but I love it...( and hate marmite )
    • “To play a wrong note is insignificant; to play without passion is inexcusable.”
  • awesome guitar at a really great price
  • RevMattRevMatt Frets: 838
    Yes,  I get the whole marmite colour thing - I love green guitars and have had a few,  and continue to own the green Berlin in my avatar picture... 

My 2 green Berlin's make a great pair but I need to recoup a bit of cash. 
  • steersteer Frets: 1196
    Love it. Just saw this on ebay as well!

How chunky is the neck on these?
    Cheers @steer ;

These mid/late 90s Berlins have chunkier necks than some of the early ones that were very skinny and shallow - I'd describe it as a full C but it doesn't feel massive, certainly not PRS wide fat. 

Eggles necks are great and play so well but they do vary in profile between different models and periods. 
  • timmypixtimmypix Frets: 2407
    If this is still available after Christmas I may be tempted - I've got four green guitars and I feel I've committed to a theme at this point. Anyway, GLWTS!
    Tim
    timmypix said:
    If this is still available after Christmas I may be tempted - I've got four green guitars and I feel I've committed to a theme at this point. Anyway, GLWTS!
    I'm glad I'm not the only one with a thing for green guitars!

I suspect it won't be around after Christmas - in my experience Berlin's tend to sell quite well (if priced sensibly) and if it does hang around and my Tremonti sells in the meantime I will be keeping it. But who knows, I've been wrong before!

Sold pending payment, going to a great home within this forum - this will be the second Eggle that this buyer has had from me.
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4727
    edited November 2018
    Bugger...Can't believe I missed this Matt! 
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1957
    Good buy whoever got that - If the necks were chunkier, I would have had it.
    Sorry @Voxman ;

@Schnozz - it's worth trying different models from different periods, these mid-late 90s ones were chunkier than the early ones.