Even Simon Mayo is up and offing... BBC 'fails'

What's Hot
Has been 6 months since the end of the most excellent Paul Jones Blues prog and I think I have given Cerys Mathew's effort 2 and a 1/2 shots before I gave up in incredulity at A: the nonsense she spouts and B: the non blues she plays.

BUT not all bad - Radio Shetland via Radio Scotland has the Shades of Blue once a month through the winter and is some great stuff on there. Two eps so far:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m0000w4v

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m000168y

(AND - talking of Cerys Mathews - wass going on with her Bo-Selecta face??)

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

Comments

• VeganicVeganic Frets: 673
    er, she's always looked like that. She's just older. It's hardly a case for Mulder and Scully.
     Her radio show doesn't hold my attention though.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3641
    R2 seem to be on a mission to self destruct.

After disgracefully sacking Paul Jones, a proper bluesman, and replacing with that ridiculous Cerys  Matthews they bought in Jo whiley with Mayo which ruined drive time imo.

That's without mentioning moving Sounds of the sixties from 8am to 6am on Saturday morning!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • R2's biggest fail for me was losing Bob Harris's music show (not his country one, but his general music Sunday show). 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12422
    57Deluxe said:
    Has been 6 months since the end of the most excellent Paul Jones Blues prog and I think I have given Cerys Mathew's effort 2 and a 1/2 shots before I gave up in incredulity at A: the nonsense she spouts and B: the non blues she plays.

BUT not all bad - Radio Shetland via Radio Scotland has the Shades of Blue once a month through the winter and is some great stuff on there. Two eps so far:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m0000w4v

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m000168y

(AND - talking of Cerys Mathews - wass going on with her Bo-Selecta face??)

She's more machine than pop star now...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16156
    Not been the same since Brian Mathew's passing ,Wogan or Jimmy Young
    Horrible Jeremy Vine the Sanctimonious Creature was the first proper nail in the coffin and that Steve Wright is well past his sell-by date;
    - at least they have the self parody of Tony Blackburn early saturday morning although that's spoiled by whispering ,creepy Dermott O'Leary following it up.

Thank God for Bob Harris.
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11346
    I've been a long-time listener to R5Live.

It used to be good, really good. Yes, it was "Radio Bloke", but I'm a bloke and there's not much worth listening to on the radio these days.

But since the move to Salford it's been in steady decline. We now have people reading the news who cannot string together half a dozen words without making a mistake. Programmes are hosted by people who seem to have little or no knowledge of what they are doing, and almost every programme is so flooded with "issues" from someone's checklist that education, information and entertainment have fallen by the wayside. And any political programme leans so heavily to one nparticular side that it's in danger of toppling over.

It's almost enough to make me listen to Talksport.
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7345
    edited November 2018
    R5 were great in the early 00s when you had Jane Garvey and Peter Allen doing eve drive time show and the wonderfully witty Kevin Greening doing a spell on the lunchtime show...

AND - not forgetting GLR in the 90s and particularly when you had Emma Freud lunchtimes where you had risque phone-ins and QAs. One that stands in my mind is when she had to find the answer to "How many calories in a mouthful of semen?" !! brilliant...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
      Think i will have to have Classic FM on at work now rather than listen to what was once a great station that played everything .  The playlist seems to get smaller all the time now.

• ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3595
    I end up listening to R4 mostly in the Car. I still carry a few CDs and the phone/MP3s for light listening to music but otherwise the radio skips to local news or community radio (if in range). It's getting harder to find a presenter/music I like and I've largely given up looking(listening) for fresh content.
  • Go woke, go broke.
  • 0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    scrumhalf said:
    I've been a long-time listener to R5Live.

It used to be good, really good. Yes, it was "Radio Bloke", but I'm a bloke and there's not much worth listening to on the radio these days.

But since the move to Salford it's been in steady decline. We now have people reading the news who cannot string together half a dozen words without making a mistake. Programmes are hosted by people who seem to have little or no knowledge of what they are doing, and almost every programme is so flooded with "issues" from someone's checklist that education, information and entertainment have fallen by the wayside. And any political programme leans so heavily to one nparticular side that it's in danger of toppling over.

It's almost enough to make me listen to Talksport.
    Talksport stresses me out, so i switched to R3 at low volume. Much better.

but as for Simon Mayo, I wish him well whatever he going to do next. His partnership with JW never worked from the beginning. You could tell he didnt like playing second fiddle to Jo.

Never bothered with another former favourite - The Blues Show. Matthews isn’t a blues person, so its no suprise its only attracting brickbats.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72649
    I listen to Ken Bruce in the mornings largely for Pop Master, but that's really the only thing. I actually find commercial radio better these days, even given the endless crap adverts.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• MagicPigDetectiveMagicPigDetective Frets: 3039
    edited November 2018
    Poor Cerys gets a lot of stick on the fretboard. I haven’t heard the Blues Show but now intend to. Her Radio 6 show is great. She did a very interesting programme on S4C about the history of certain traditional Welsh songs with her performing her interpretation of them, she knows much about roots, folk, world etc and runs her own festival. Perhaps it’s notall about the traditional chicago blues etc?  but blues is not confined to that. Her enthusiasm for music genuine and infectious.  Anyway she’s a legend in my book, da iawn Cerys.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23111
    I don't listen to R2 but they have to change things sometimes, not every presenter can keep going until they drop dead.  Whether or not they make the right changes, I have no idea.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12428
    Bernard Docherty, Saturday night on Planet Rock. Great blues show. Plays a mix of classics and new stuff. 
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12426
    edited November 2018
    @57Deluxe you should check out the blues unlimited podcast, a weekly hour long show that is always brilliant
    https://bluesunlimited.podomatic.com/

"OUR TOSSPOT"
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12426
    I don’t listen to UK radio now. I have the WFMU app on my phone and listen to that, it’s a superb station In New Jersey. Wherelse you gonna get Captain Beefheart, Johnny Cash and John Coltrane on a breakfast show?
    "OUR TOSSPOT"