NPD - Last (latest) piece of the puzzle.

What's Hot
Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7826
edited November 2018 in FX

Today my friendly postie handed over a very clean and tidy Boss SL-20 Slicer, and once I'd worked out what does what (without resorting to the manual, of course) I reckon there are hours of fun ahead and many more pointless Sonic Koalas tracks to be endured as a consequence

It's perfect for turning things like the Miku into a rhythm track with a difference and mixing together two or three running at different tempos with different patterns should be excruciating to listen to, which is pretty much my raison d'être

Having blown the master fuse located in my electric meter (!) last night*, which required a man who knows what he's doing to sort out and £90 to reward him for doing it, I'm much happier now I have a new toy to keep me amused.

*I was endeavouring to replace my kitchen light, but I have a feeling that whoever wired it up didn't follow the rules regarding which colour wire should go where, so me doing it correctly was, in fact, wrong. I'm going to let the man who knows what he's doing confirm that for me though. rather than blow the fuse again. 

"I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• VJIvesVJIves Frets: 466
    Oh awesome, such an underrated pedal. Where in your chain are you going to put it? 
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7826

As things stand, the pedal order is:

Tonelab ST
    RC-1 Loop Station
    Bakvendt
    Into The Unknown
    Data Corrupter
    Spatial Delivery
    Arcadiator
    BDSM
    Miku
    Vitruvian Mod
    DM4
    Slicer
    CT5 #1
    Pitch Fork
    Moomindrone T
    Grazer
    Ghost Fax
    BitQuest
    The Weapon
    Quantum Time Modulator
    Syntax Error
    Rainbow Machine
    Afterneath
    Particle
    CSIDMAN
    CT5 #2
    Liqua Flange
    Otto Filter

so nice and simple :)
    2reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28603
    Needs more Miku.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12414
    Paul_C said:

As things stand, the pedal order is:

Tonelab ST
    RC-1 Loop Station
    Bakvendt
    Into The Unknown
    Data Corrupter
    Spatial Delivery
    Arcadiator
    BDSM
    Miku
    Vitruvian Mod
    DM4
    Slicer
    CT5 #1
    Pitch Fork
    Moomindrone T
    Grazer
    Ghost Fax
    BitQuest
    The Weapon
    Quantum Time Modulator
    Syntax Error
    Rainbow Machine
    Afterneath
    Particle
    CSIDMAN
    CT5 #2
    Liqua Flange
    Otto Filter

so nice and simple :)
    More of a pedal floor than board?

Most of them are on stands so that I can sit and twiddle the knobs - I'm too old to be crawling round on the floor ;)

httpwwwarrowheadguitarscoukpicspedalsreduxjpg

if you imagine this picture, but with the DM4 moved to the right, the feedback looper moved above it, the Miku and Vitruvian Mod moved one step to the left, the pedal next to the Vitruvian Mod removed and the Slicer where the DM4 is, then that's what it looks like now (plus I've swapped the Afterneath and CT5 on the extreme left hand stand). 

This now gives me the basic essentials . . . plus the loop station ;)
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • prlgmnrprlgmnr Frets: 3992
    How are you powering all that lot?

And how did you train yourself not to swing round with your guitar, knocking everything to the ground in an arc of destruction?
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28603
    prlgmnr said:

And how did you train yourself not to swing round with your guitar
    Where Paul's going, we won't need guitars.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • joetelejoetele Frets: 952
    Insanely jealous of your Slicer acquisition, dude - I used the Slicer setting on the Zoom MS50G and it was stunning. I'm trying to get close with a Boss TR2 and it's Okaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay I guess. 
    MUSIC: Pale Blurs
    prlgmnr said:
    How are you powering all that lot?

And how did you train yourself not to swing round with your guitar, knocking everything to the ground in an arc of destruction?

Power comes from a dozen or so, mostly cheap chinese, power supplies plugged into four multi plug sockets and a lot of daisy chaining, which still amuses me as it's surprisingly quiet.

I've not done swinging round exuberantly, but have hit the headstock on the stand to my left more than once.

joetele said:
    Insanely jealous of your Slicer acquisition, dude - I used the Slicer setting on the Zoom MS50G and it was stunning. I'm trying to get close with a Boss TR2 and it's Okaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay I guess. 
    I did buy a cheap tremolo in the hope it might be enough, but it wasn't - the Slicer is so much better already, and I've barely scratched the surface of what I can get from it - things like the DM4 set to MT-2 Metal Zone makes for a great synth drum sound and the Miku and Data Corrupter through it is loads of fun.

• joetelejoetele Frets: 952

joetele said:
    I did buy a cheap tremolo in the hope it might be enough, but it wasn't - the Slicer is so much better already, and I've barely scratched the surface of what I can get from it - things like the DM4 set to MT-2 Metal Zone makes for a great synth drum sound and the Miku and Data Corrupter through it is loads of fun.

I found, at least with the Slicer copy on the Zoom MS50, that it reacted to how you strummed, so if you kept stabbing the strings it would reset the 'slice', so you could create a stuttery, almost morse code pattern. 
    MUSIC: Pale Blurs

HAHAHAHAHA !

Just when I thought I was done :)

Fortunately I haven't had to spend any money this time.

Having rearranged a few pedals to fit the Slicer in, it occurred to me that while I haven't really been able to get much out of my Arpanoid that really made it worth keeping, maybe running it through the Slicer would add something. . . and it did!

Even a short ten minute play was enough to confirm that there's potential for a lot of interesting sounds, and once I started adding one or two of the other pedals it got more and more interesting.

So hurrah for the Slicer and hurrah for its new best friend!
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8190
    "This now gives me the basic essentials".

Unintentional Irony Of The Week Award?

Hell of a board!
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
  • Hattigol said:
    "This now gives me the basic essentials".

Unintentional Irony Of The Week Award?

Hell of a board!
    It's like the bridge of the Enterprise, but with more technology :)

Here's a little recording of Arpanoid into Slicer (before I do something mad to it ;) )

http://www.arrowheadguitars.co.uk/pics/arpslicer.mp3 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72521
    Paul_C said:

*I was endeavouring to replace my kitchen light, but I have a feeling that whoever wired it up didn't follow the rules regarding which colour wire should go where, so me doing it correctly was, in fact, wrong.
    I did exactly the same thing with a friend's kitchen light. She hasn't asked me to fix anything in her house again.

It wasn't deliberate :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I loves Paul’s pedal board... Kin bonkers