Sort of NGD (newly modded really) Pic Heavy

What's Hot
JasonJason Frets: 1103
in Guitar tFB Trader
I love LP Customs, my first guitars was a Hondo LPC, my first real guitar was an early 70's LPC (which went when I couldn't afford a gas bill) I had a Custom Shop LPC which I bought with my eyes and not my ears, it lasted about six months before I moved it on. For about 8 years I've been playing an Orville LPC which is a great guitar, but I had a hankering for P90's.

I was going to convert, then decided that was a stupid idea, so I managed to buy another Orville cheap (£350) this one is a John Sykes model so unlike most Orvilles comes with an ebony board (plus mirrored pick guard and pick up surrounds).

I took it to Rob Williams and it went from that to this - to say I am very happy with it would be an understatement, it looks great and the pickups go from a nasty snarl to an almost acoustic like chime.

Rob had never worked on an Orville before and couldn't believe how well it was made.

Here are the pics

John Sykes Model

Rob doing stuff

Now

Neck pickup is a Lollar and the bridge is a Rob Williams P90 wound to match the neck. Hardware is Gotoh.

The Guitar Show, Cranmore Park, Birmingham | Website | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter | Podcast
0reaction image LOL 19reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Crikey! Well done! 

I saw the swimming pool route and started to get worried but then it got better! :D 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Great work. A LP that has been converted the right way!!
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7869
    So close.  All it needed was a Bigsby for perfection!
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Nice work looks the part.
    Did you have the binding aged up or an aged top coat, also just a top refinish or the whole guitar.

a sound clip of the lollar would be nice 

but a great job
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31590
    Lovely job, Rob's worked some real magic on a couple of my guitars too.
  • My word! That’s beautiful 
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14263
    tFB Trader
    Good to see the pics from start to finish - As I was scanning down from the top I'm thinking yes, okay, so what - Then when we get to the final result, well that is a different story - Looks very nice - sure it is well worth the effort - Top marks
  • JasonJason Frets: 1103
    tFB Trader
    Nice work looks the part.
    Did you have the binding aged up or an aged top coat, also just a top refinish or the whole guitar.

a sound clip of the lollar would be nice 

but a great job
    Thanks @stickyfiddle @meltedbuzzbox @TheMarlin (I did think about a bigsby!) @Jez6345789 @p90fool @builttospill and @guitars4you ; for the nice comments.

The binding was just left as it was, the guitar is probably over 25 years old, so has aged nicely. It was just the top refinished, the rest of the guitar was left with all its dinks and scratches. Rob replaced the first 3 frets too.

I'll try and do some recording with the Lollar, but it may be a few weeks time.

Do I go for a 3 pickup version for the set...? :)
    The Guitar Show, Cranmore Park, Birmingham | Website | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter | Podcast
  • The three pickup black beauty looks awesome but the middle position is meh.
    I loved the look of the one I owned but it really didn't need the middle pickup. 
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6838
    tFB Trader
    Very nice indeed, that Jason! :D 
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
    tFB Trader
    The three pickup black beauty looks awesome but the middle position is meh.
    I loved the look of the one I owned but it really didn't need the middle pickup. 
    but looked cool tho' :)

its taken me nearly 30 years to find the neck pickup, so I doubt I'd ever use a middle one, but as I keep telling my students, the general public listen with their eyes, looking good is essential :-))
    tFB Trader
    miserneil said:
    Very nice indeed, that Jason! :D 
    Thanks Neil
  • Jason said:

its taken me nearly 30 years to find the neck pickup, so I doubt I'd ever use a middle one, but as I keep telling my students, the general public listen with their eyes, looking good is essential :-))
    They look super cool.

tFB Trader
    Jason said:

They look super cool.

Next years project then, I’d best look out for another Orville bargain :)
  • jdgmjdgm Frets: 852
    Looks wonderful, love a P90 Custom.
  • sawyersawyer Frets: 732
    Looks cool! Good job.